VeggieBoards banner

Breast milk cheese? Have you seen this?

3K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  christinahudler 
#1 ·
#27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

Exactly. As a breastfeeding mother who consistently uses her own breastmilk in baking (anyone eating it knows that it's in there...usually just my family) I don't see the issue with people thinking this is gross. It's just like anything else, if you don't like it then don't eat it. But when it comes to "gross" this isn't. If it weren't for breastmilk our species wouldn't exist. It's proven to be extremely great for our young despite the mass usage of formula in this country (the US). I'm a huge breastfeeding advocate and spend lots of free time fighting for the rights of breastfeeding mothers. Because of that I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with drinking the milk *of your own species* as long as you know it's in what you're eating and the person is using it willingly. Human using human breastmilk is, in my opinion, anything but gross...it's the only milk there is that is what we are biologically made to ingest.
Hmm...I guess I hadn't really thought of it that way.

#32 ·
As much as I'm all for breastmilk consumption at any age, I agree its impractical. One reason being that many people wouldn't even consider trying it despite known health benefits. The second, and my biggest concern, it could never happen on a mass scale. Women would have to be treated as dairy cows are and if we don't want cows treated that way we certainly wouldn't want it for humans either! If someone wants to use breastmilk in cooking and whatnot I'm all for it, but mass production is impractical. Especially when those moms giving their milk for this could instead be donating the milk to mothers who have problems nursing...breastmilk is far more important for babies than it is making breastmilk foods for adults.

#33 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

Especially when those moms giving their milk for this could instead be donating the milk to mothers who have problems nursing...breastmilk is far more important for babies than it is making breastmilk foods for adults.
For real. Same reason to donate blood to help people, instead of selling it to entrepreneurs to make into sausages or whatever.

I just grossed myself out.

#34 ·
There are breast milk donors on the US; premies do much better on breast milk than on animal or soy milk so sometimes they are fed donated milk.

I read somewhere about Howard Hughes drinking breast milk as an adult, I think? Some crazy millionaire did. Too lazy to Google.

#35 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

There are breast milk donors on the US; premies do much better on breast milk than on animal or soy milk so sometimes they are fed donated milk.

I read somewhere about Howard Hughes drinking breast milk as an adult, I think? Some crazy millionaire did. Too lazy to Google.
Yup there are some great organizations specifically for breastmilk donation. The main two being "eats on feets" and "human milk 4 human babies"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.