VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel the pains of missing a nice breakfast. And I'm referring to going out to breakfast. Sure, lunch and dinner is easy to find a good vegan meal, but going out to breakfast is the worst. What to get? home fries..kinda greasy and gross. a bagel? most likely placed on the grill with butter. I know one place in massachusetts (where I live) that has a vegan Sunday brunch. It's pretty decent. Cooking my own breakfast is all fine and good, but there is something about cheap diner breakfast food that I truly miss.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Can't help you with the greasiness of homefries (to tell the truth, I kind of enjoy them), but the diner near me serves a great vegan breakfast: baked beans, fried tomatoes (not breaded or anything, just tossed on the grill for a second), toast with jam and homefries. (If you ask, they'll cook things in a clean fry pan and not the meaty grill.) Yummy!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
hee-hee: Cassie, it's even wierder than you thought: I eat that for breakfast

The normal vegetarian breakfast is toast, eggs, homefries and a choice of fried tomatoes or baked beans, but they gladly substitute baked beans for the eggs. Mmm... greasy diner food.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not necesarily the greasy-ness that i dislike...i mean, i like greasy diner food. thats what i miss! i guess i'm just sick of home fries. i just want to be able to go to a place and get good vegan panckes/waffles etc....

·
Registered
624 Posts
There's a great resturaunt in chicago called M Henry, and it's a new place. They use organic foods, and they have one vegan breakfast called the vegan epiphiny. Its scrambled tofu with spices and miso, really good. They also serve this item called Yuca, it's apparently the part of soymilk thats boiled off at the top and hardened. Kind of like vegan bacon. Has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Argyle666

I know what you mean about missing breakfast. I used to love going out to breakfast. I used to love scrambled eggs with lots of cheese, or pancakes/ waffles with lots of butter and syrup. I am still trying experimenting with vegan breakfasts. After serveral attempts I have finally hit on a scrambled tofu recipee my husband feels is good using the fantastic box mix and adding veggies like onions and mushrooms with salsa and just a few artichoke leaves for flavor. As far as pancakes, I'm still working on that one. I tried last week using a mixture of apple sauce and purreed banana with biscut mix in place of the egg but it wasn't that great. Next time I will try adding a little extra baking powder. Vegan breakfast restaurants are not really an option where I live so I'm trying to make the best of things and dreaming for the day when someone will open up a great vegan restaurant .

·
Registered
624 Posts
cooking Veg-

that sounds like an intersting thing. I think I had the name wrong, it's Yubba. Or something LOL!. It's like the whey off of the soybeans. It was very light and cripsy, similar to bacon..kinda..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Aw shucks, you guys should all move to Portland Oregon with me!!!
Yeah, theres at least three places where I can get a good vegan breakfast, smoothies, curry tofu scrambles, v-pancakes, v-french toast at Vita Cafe, about the same at Paradox, and vegan pancakes and soy steamers at Cup and Saucer Cafe. and I know you arent looking for different breakfast stuff, but, you can get a good vegan breakfast at an Ethiopian restraunt. (my fave. here is Blue Nile Café notice a pattern? heehee) Fava beans, veggies, bread, etc.

haha, you know you're a vegan when every single one of your favourite restraunts has Café in it....

If you want something to bake at home, the recipe on the energy egg replacer box for banana bread is great just

1. add vegan chocolate chips

2. use whole wheat pastry flour...well ok, if you want to

3. Over Ripe Bananas. let them get brown and nasty but not moldy, and they are PERFECTO in banana bread. yaaayy! you can peel the bananas, then slice em in half and freeze em for smoothies too. Thats the only part I dont like about making banana bread- defrosting bananas. Euckkk. funky looking things, they are

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i usually order toast with syrup and tea. Generally syrup is too sweet for me, but it's what gives french toast it's flavor. So, i ask for cinnimon raisin bread and then add the syrup.

of course, i had to check up on the raisin bread. it is vegan, actually, and oddly enough. i was amazed. so, when it's diner for breakfast, i get nice thick slices of the bread lightly heated (instead of toasted solid) with syrup.

And tea.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I recently had a pretty good breakfast at Soul Vegetarian in Altanta - it was pretty limited though - veggie sausage, tofu scramble, and some damned good pancakes.

But the last time i had a really good breakfast was at Govinda's - a neat restaraunt in a little town called Alachua (or maybe it's in High Springs? i forget now!).. nevertheless, it's just a lil north of Gainesville (FL). They do an all you can eat brunch buffet on the weekends, most of it is vegan, and oh! it is so very good!

Yeah.. i do miss being able to go out any where for a really good breakfast.. most places my options are a fruit bowl or oatmeal ..

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I hardly ever go out to breakfast, but it did used to be a treat from time to time. I liked the greasiest, most-country items, like corned beef hash or biscuits and gravy. Now, as a vegan, even the pancakes, waffles, and toast are an uncertainty. And even if the pancakes are vegan, bet the margarine's not. *sigh*

For the last 3 months I've cooked at home 99.9% of the time -- no problem thinking of and making yummy things. But in the last week or two I've had several crazy-busy days away from home, so cooking simply did not take place. I mostly ended up munching on nuts 'cause I couldn't think of what else to do.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Argyle, I totally understand where you're coming from as I'm in MA, too. I have problems eating in a lot of non-veg restaurants around here, too. I'm not vegan, but even though I request it be made in a special way (i.e. in a clean pan) the food I order often comes with something in it I didn't want or cooked where the meat was cooked. My best suggestion is to get a good pancake/waffle recipe, learn to make a kick ass tofu scramble, and become familiar with vegan "bacon" and/or vegan "sausages" so you eat a good, hot breakfast at home as a treat. If nothing else, it's cheaper, you know what went into it, and it's probably better for you.

By the way, there's lots of good breakfast recipes on www.vegweb.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi everyone! there is great place in New Orelans that is a classic little breakfast diner! They serve tempeh bacon ...tofu scrambles...brown rice..lots of different options and sine they make it all right there, you can ask for things personalized. I had it for lunch and enjoyed it -- I usuallly make everything i eat at home -- but i have gotten really creatie at resterants

If anyone needs vegan breakfast recipes letme know!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'm going to have to invent vegan biscuits 'n' gravy! When I was ovo-lacto I kept meaning to get around to making one with a bechemel (sp?) sauce and mushrooms ... now I'll have to get more creative.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.