VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I am actually hoping to make a vegan version of biscuits and gravy this week.

I'm glad it turned out good! That gives me some hope for mine.

I've been fighting cookbooks and online recipes for something my fiancé will like. He likes everything I've made with chocolate chips [which have so far been chocolate pancakes and scones]. Anything that's a regular, normal, relatively healthy vegan food ... he's hated.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL- that's too bad that he's picky but you'll figure it out with a little trial and error.

This was really good.... I mean really really good. I've never had the real thing but I'm sure he'd like this.

I'd try by starting him out with vegan versions of things he already likes. Pot pies, biscuits n gravy, pasta dishes, lasagnas, caseroles, veggie sides, whatever he's into. Then try and expand his tastes...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

LOL- that's too bad that he's picky but you'll figure it out with a little trial and error.

This was really good.... I mean really really good. I've never had the real thing but I'm sure he'd like this.

I'd try by starting him out with vegan versions of things he already likes. Pot pies, biscuits n gravy, pasta dishes, lasagnas, caseroles, veggie sides, whatever he's into. Then try and expand his tastes...
I made Jerk Seitan from Vegan With A Vengeance. He loves seitan, but he hated the marinade. *sigh* He liked how the Matzoh ball Soup tasted, but hated the texture. *double sigh*

So one thing I am going to make is my own seitan [store-bought has way too much wheat in it and I'm allergic] and put it in one of my mom's teriyaki marinades. I'm making Quinoa Vegetable Pilaf this week, so he'll be trying that with me as well.

Thanks for some of the suggestions.
Maybe I could make vegan tacos with a meat sub. He loves tacos.

He's allergic to a lot of vegetables including lettuce, so I have to be careful with what I make, though.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
seriously? like he gets a histamine reaction when he consumes lettuce?

Anyway, I am not so sure it's a good idea to veganize versions of his favorites, because they will never taste the same as his favorites and he'll likely prefer his meaty dishes over the vegan ones no matter how tasty the vegan ones are.

Does he have to eat the vegan food? Maybe you could make food for the two of you (or just yourself) and if he doesn't like it, he can make his own.

I found that many vegan recipes with fake meat & fake cheese are harder for omnis to find appealing than recipes that are vegan by nature (like italian, indian, or thai dishes). You might try that approach instead.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! that's tough.... I made a tofu jerky last week that was really good. Tacos are alwasy a big hit and you can find taco seasoning that's vegan in most stores.

I know from past roommates that have been converted, that making familiar things is the easiest way to help introduce new things. I make familiar foods 4 nights a week and something they wouldn't usually try the other nights. After a while you'll figure out what they do like with the odd recipes and then can tailor things to their tastes.

Sometimes showing someone that they can eat all their favorite foods but in healthier, cruelty-free versions, is the key to getting them to at least accept veg*n foods.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yeah ... he has an actual reaction to lettuce such as throat-swelling, tongue-swelling, etc.

He's had scones before and he loves my vegan version.

He doesn't eat here very often, but his family eats meat and pretty much only meat. They eat meat every single day. It makes me worried because he's just not getting much besides meat and cheese in his diet.

It's like waiting for the heart attack, and heart attacks are very common in his family.

·
Registered
0 Posts
HCA- I LOVE VEGAN TACOS! And there's so many ways to make them. I either use the vegan "ground beef" at my local grocery store...or this. Both are tasty, and easy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts