VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to a potluck on Wednesday and am looking to bring fried, breaded zucchini. The simple reason being is I have a lot of zucchini that needs to be used. I'm just wondering what is the best method for breading and cooking the zucchini. I am not about to use eggs, but I do have Ener-G (however it's spelled) and regular soy milk on hand. I've found a lot of varying and hope someone has one that is fail proof. Should I use soy milk, Ener-G, flour, cornmeal, bread crumbs, what spices? Help would be much appreciated. Also, I might do fried, breaded mushrooms as well; would the recipe stay the same? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I don't know about seasoning mixes, but I've found breading sticks to anything wet... so when I bread I just make sure whatever I'm breading is damp.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I just love Zuccini lightly tossed into flour (no milk or eggs) and thrown into a hot oiled pan. I sprinkle S&P and garlic on each side as they cook... an old Italian friend used to make this and it's delicous and so simple.

You were probably looking for something more elaborate... but I will say experiment today with different things and see what comes out good... then tell us

·
Registered
927 Posts
What I would do:

Set out three dishes, one with flour, one with soymilk, and the third with breadcrumbs combined with salt, pepper, herbs (oregano, parsley, thyme, say) and some garlic powder.

Dip the zucchini in the flour first, then the soymilk, then finally coat with the breadcrumbs and fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seusomon View Post

What I would do:

Set out three dishes, one with flour, one with soymilk, and the third with breadcrumbs combined with salt, pepper, herbs (oregano, parsley, thyme, say) and some garlic powder.

Dip the zucchini in the flour first, then the soymilk, then finally coat with the breadcrumbs and fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
Thank you very much that was exactly what I was looking for. I nixed the zucchini for the potluck but will be sure to keep the recipe in mind for future use.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I've discovered whisking just a little vegan mayo into the soymilk makes it thicker and a little "stickier" and it adheres to things better. Then the breading/crumbs adhere better too...

Yum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts