VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi and ask a question that has been burning in my mind...forgive me if it's been asked before. Celebrities that are anti-fur, anti-meat, anti-animal abuse are walking around in Ugg boots which are, last I checked, made from animals. Pam Anderson is always out in her Classic Talls in between gigs as a PETA spokesperson. What gives? How do other vegans/vegitarians feel about this?

·
Registered
648 Posts
hmm....this reminds me of one of my favorite singers, Juliana Hatfield. She's a vegetarian, but she wears leather. I guess if you're a vegetarian for health reasons, I don't see any conflict, but if you are for animal rights, it's hypocritical.

·
Registered
349 Posts
not everyone seems to understand that leather is another animal product.

i've seen so-called "vegans" complaining about meat and fur, but then go and buy a genuine leather jacket...

leather is just fur with the hairs removed. is that so hard for people to get??

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Yeah, I think there's a disconnect there between not eating a cow and not wearing the skin of a cow.

By the way, welcome to VB!
I like your user name.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Welcome to VB! I agree with Cissy, a lot of boots like that are not made from real leather. But I've noticed that a lot of anti-fur people are pro-leather. Even me, when I was younger - not so much pro-leather as not really thinking about it. I think some of it comes from the fact that fur is seen as a "luxury" whereas leather is "practical"?

·
Registered
32 Posts
This was a real discussion topic in our house for several months. One of my daughter's teachers pointed out (and he was vegetarian as well) - leather does a lot less to pollute the environment than do vinyl, plastic, or synthetic substitutes. There are some in-between enviro-friendly substitutes, but you have to make the effort to seek them out. I have yet to find a good, WARM substitute for winter snow boots. Boiled wool works well, but still needs a sole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts