VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone im new here,
hi im Christopher

I quit eating meat on the 7th.... I decided to quit eating meat cause I saw the Oprah epsiode where she went into a slaughter house and showed the process and I got so grossed out and sickened that I just went cold turkey.

My parents say I am going to have kidney failure and turn yellow in 3 months cause I quit eating meat. I ate some BUTTER BEANS tonight for the replacement of meat.

question what do I need to do to supplement not having meat.

All replies welcome..... I am proud to not eat meat I eat veggies and everything to replace not having meat and I drink the silk milk for a supplement.

I am on a budget so please be easy on the budget....

Thanks,
Christopher

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Welcome and i don't think you should have kidney failure. will make the rest of us look bad. eat a variety of veggies and a well balanced diet and you're good to go. tell your dad i could beat him in an arm wrestling match any day.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'll have you know I've not yet turned yellow, died or even become skinny after nearly seven full years, so I'd say you're doing just fine.

Still, it helps to get solid nutrition advice. I'd recommend this resource:

www.veganhealth.org

This forum is a great resource for moral support and recipes, but you may want to use meetup.com or a similar site to see if you can connect with local vegetarians as well.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM880 View Post

Hi Everyone im new here,
hi im Christopher

I quit eating meat on the 7th.... I decided to quit eating meat cause I saw the Oprah epsiode where she went into a slaughter house and showed the process and I got so grossed out and sickened that I just went cold turkey.

My parents say I am going to have kidney failure and turn yellow in 3 months cause I quit eating meat. I ate some BUTTER BEANS tonight for the replacement of meat.

question what do I need to do to supplement not having meat.

All replies welcome..... I am proud to not eat meat I eat veggies and everything to replace not having meat and I drink the silk milk for a supplement.

I am on a budget so please be easy on the budget....

Thanks,
Christopher
Don't let your parents scare you. I've been meat free for 35 years. My kidneys are fine and people tell me they would kill for my complexion, so no worries there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Christopher,

Welcome to Vegegarianism. I actually became vegan BECAUSE my liver and kidneys needed to heal after an illness. Kidney and liver/gallbladder problems are linked to high fat and high protein, not the other way around.

At first it can be very difficult to think differently. The fact of the matter is, there are SO many healthy protein options... and we don't need nearly as much protein as people make it out to seem.

There's protein wherever you have whole foods. Whole grains, beans of all sorts, fruits and veggies... not to mention stuff like Soy products (but that can get expensive), I use TVP a lot which is super cheap.

There are many soups you can make, or eat veggies with hummus a lot like I do. The possibilities are endless. Don't let your parents scare you. It's just downright uneducated. But the best thing you can do is educate yourself on the subject

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hi Christopher! I think it's great that you made the decision to go veg. I don't have any nutrition advice to give you that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say welcome to veggieboards and I hope you love your new lifestyle.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Yay Christopher!!
First off, it's easy to get enough protein as a vegetarian, and as a vegan. Omnivores really need to worry about getting too much protein since too much is very hard on the kidneys!
In the beginning at least, I do suggest you take a multivitamin. It's a big transition. In the beginning I ate a lot of fat-free refried beans, bean salads, peanut butter, soups and pastas. I used to think of vegetables as being by themselves, as sides. Look up the Stock your Pantry thread. Google veg websites-vegweb.com, ppk.com. Order books from your library if possible.
Organic beans and grains are much cheaper than any meat other than cheap hotdogs. That's the big difference. It's not that veg*ns should eat more vegetables and fruits than omnivores. (omnivores for the most part don't get what they should- that's why they complain it costs too much!). The difference is where we get most of our protein. Beans, whole grains, seeds and nuts can be transformed into sauces, patties, loaves, sandwich spreads, dips and used in casseroles, salads, soups etc.
This community has been my greatest support.
You should show your parents the food pyramid sites and research from diabetes, heart disease and cancer. They all advocate the healthfulness of veg diets, and are far from biased.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts