VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Travis, but my user name is Shadewell, I am 21 years old.

I have decided to become a vegetarian for health reasons, I also highly respect eastern philosophy and may one day subscribe to an eastern thought but that's another topic.

I regularly would eat meat everyday, sometimes twice a day. I most recently ate 4-5 ounces of lean steak and because of how my body is reacting I did some researching on meat digestion. I have come to realize that meat eating has proliferated into our culture relatively recently, and our bodies are designed to process grains, vegetables, fruits, beans, and other typical vegetarian foods.

I never particularly liked meat, I just thought it was part of a healthy diet, naively. Fats I have a bit of a taste for but shouldn't have any problem cutting them out.

I now have a problem that I largely ignored up until recently. I have all this food in my colon that I want to get rid of. Thankfully my colon is used to processing this amount of food or I would have serious constipation problems thanks to this meaty diet, on that note I believe poor diet is the sole reason why someone I know close to me has constipation issues, they're older than me.

One step to cleansing myself I am wanting to take is to go on a juice fast. This will give my body a chance to process the junk inside of it naturally. I understand I don't need to drink a lot of juice, just enough to keep my blood sugar at an acceptable level. Having an empty stomach isn't bad if your blood sugar is still being maintained. I'm not sure if I should take a laxative or not, what think is that since my body is healthy enough to process it naturally, I should just let it do the work by itself.
Should I take soluble fiber and/or flax seed while fasting? I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to take it. Ether way, I'll have to drink a lot of water.

Any advice would be appreciated, I know this section of the forums is for introductions and I guess you guys get a long winded introduction. Here's to a healthy year!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Travis!

That's great news, and I hope we can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadewell View Post

Fats I have a bit of a taste for but shouldn't have any problem cutting them out.
Unsaturated vegetable fats, like those found in certain fatty fruits (like avocado) "nuts" (almonds, walnuts, and others) and seeds (sesame, flax, etc.) are actually very healthy, and both an important source of energy and building block for your cells.

Don't worry as much about the amount of fat, but about the source and type of fat you're eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadewell View Post

One step to cleansing myself I am wanting to take is to go on a juice fast. [...]
Should I take soluble fiber and/or flax seed while fasting? I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to take it. Ether way, I'll have to drink a lot of water.
Well, a juice fast + soluble fiber isn't much different from a raw vegan diet (the only difference being extra insoluble fiber- which can be really great for getting things moving too).

You might want to consider a raw liquid diet for a short time instead of a fast. Just blend up lots of greens and fruits (not really sweet fruits, if you can avoid it- aim for mostly citrus and berries).

A liquid diet can help reset your perceptions of food and fullness, and help you start fresh with a more balanced and healthier vegan diet.

Cutting out all additional sugars for a while is also a great idea- it will help reset your palate. After you haven't eaten any sweets for some time, carrots will taste like candy (no joke).

I hope that helps!

I'm sure others will have plenty of other advice as well. Let us know what you end up deciding

1 - 3 of 3 Posts