VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm gonna (attempt to) start a garden this year and have never done it b4. My city has plots you can rent in an organic garden that are about 15x15 feet.

I'm going to a class on organic gardening in April, but I wanted to figure out now what I was going to grow because I thought it might be good to start some of it early, inside. I'm not entirely familiar with what would grow well in my climate. I was thinking mostly of growing things that aren't as cheap at the grocery store, and maybe just doing a little bit of everything so it will be easier to eat it all, or things that store well.

so I was thinking lots of herbs, basil, cilantro, oregano, sage, tomatoes, bell peppers, chili peppers, eggplant, summer squash, peas, spinach

not sure about winter squash and when they would be ready to harvest or how much space they'd take.

so just looking for someone to lemme know what's easier to grow or what wouldn't work well for a newbie, and then when I should plant them, now or just wait until I get my plot in may?

thank you thank you!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would highly suggest talking to someone in a garden centre in your area. Important things to think about are how much sun does the plot get? and what is the temperature like. That will determine what and when you need to plant things. Its very different in every area.
I have had a lot of success growing herbs. I have Sage, oregano and several others in a large pot outside my door. Don't even need a plot for that sort of thing.
Tomatoes are relatively easy as long as you water them lots and lots and have plenty of sun. Just make sure to water them always from the ground, i.e. don't get leaves wet. I have had quite some success with peas as well.
My only suggestion is don't grow too many things as you will be overwhelmed with how much time they take up. Start off with a few and build up. that way you slowly get the hang of it all.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I started out by finding out my climate zone and then finding a planting guide for that zone. It told me what things could be planted for each month throughout the year how long the growing season for that plant was, and when I could expect harvest.

I think it is definitely to your advantage to start some things early, like the tomatoes, herbs, peppers. Not sure about eggplant. Squash and peas need to be sown directly in the ground, from what I understand. It is more difficult for some of the bugs to destroy plants once the plants develop to a certain point. Like cutworms, they wrap themselves around the base of a small plant by encircling it and cutting through. They can only do that when the plants have just popped out of the ground, so if you start with more mature plants, that's one less problem to have to worry about.

I think your plan to go after the expensive stuff is a good one. That's what I do. My garden pays for itself many times over just on the savings I get from not having to buy store tomatoes.

Squash will take up a lot of space. Lots of big 12-18" leaves. I believe it requires 9 sq feet per plant. And if you don't give it that space to stretch out it won't produce.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts