VeggieBoards banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks Elaine! I posted that on my FB.
I hope this whole thing gets sorted out. Sorry, I don't really have any advice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My husband is omni, too, although understanding about me going vegan luckily. I'm the cook in our house, so everyone eats what I cook. LOL...However, my kids go to daycare and I'm not making them be vegan all the time. I think if they eat this way at home, then they will be more healthy than their counterparts and they will make their own choices later. Although, my 4 year-old recently told me that she doesn't like the food at daycare.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashelle View Post

t I don't think that I should provide meat for him anymore.
I see nothing wrong with this. I don't keep meat at home. If my child wants it, she eats it at school, at a friends, my mom's house, etc... I'm not forcing anything on her. She can make her own choice. I just am not cooking it or buying it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
With that logic, my younger brother would be another 100 lbs heavier. Any decent parent will ban, or at least limit, unhealthy food items (like potato chips). Meat is not good for anyone. At one time, it might have been not so bad, but with what "farmers" are doing to the animals these days, it's awful for you. For example, the huge amounts of hormones in meat has directly contributed to puberty occurring at a younger age. This does not make sense in evolutionary terms, because we have a longer lifespan thanks to medicine and better hygiene. Therefore, if the age when puberty occurs fluctuated, it should have occurred later, since we have more time to reproduce. But it's occurring at a younger age, because eating meat these days is like popping hormone pills. Also, humans in Western society eat AT LEAST four times as much meat a day as what is considered a "healthy" amount. This is one reason veg*ns tend to be thinner than people who include meat in their diet, because our protein intake is more regular and we don't have a bunch of extra that our body stores as fat.

I seem to have gone on a bit of a tangent. My point is, only a bad parent does not regulate what a child eats. I most certianly would not let my children eat as many fries and chips and ice cream as they wanted. Do you know any parent that does? Is their child at a normal weight? Probably not.

Edit: Sorry, this is in reply to the person who suggested that parents should not have any control over their kid's dietary decisions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't call it brainwashing at all. One big part of parenting is passing on our beliefs and culture to the next generation. That is all you are doing. Its just like teaching your kids to say "please" and "thank you." You believe its the right thing to do so you teach your kids to do it. Its no more brainwashing than raising them vegetarian/vegan.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts