VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a robin outside my window that I think is seriously demented. I sleep in the basement and have a small window in the room, and early this morning I was awakened by a 'thud' every 10 seconds. It turned out to be a robin that kept running into my window. It didn't get the hint that it was a solid. So I put a book in the window and it left, but then I heard it doing the same thing at the window in the other room! over and over and over! It would stand about 2 feet away for a few seconds, then turn around and ram right into the window. I'd bang on the window to scare it away, then it would come back.<br><br>
I've heard other people say they've had birds do this. Is it common or is there something wrong with this bird? It sure is annoying.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i think maybe it's just not very bright and sees it's own reflection and thinks it's another robin. wierd

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
This is a very common problem. It happens all the time. They see their reflection, and try to drive this 'other' bird away. It not that they are dim, I think it has more to do with the season (breed/def. my land/mate ect.) sort of shoot now talk later.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'd heard of birds doing this, but I really am not an expert in animal psychology, so I can't help you. I'm sorry! I'm sure there's an animal psychologist on the web somewhere who could comment.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sometimes they don't realize there is a solid piece there and attempt to get through. Could there be something the bird sees through the window? Is there something it could be attracted to in the house? Sometimes another bird or a picture will attract a bird, especially during springtime. Birds also are attracted to colors like red.<br><br><br><br>
My pet bird sits with me when I go through magazines and he reacts to pictures, lol!

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
There's a Magpie that did that all the time against a particular window here a while back.... and it's returned this year (or there are a few that do it). No matter how much I scare it off it'll eventually return.<br><br><br><br>
There are ways to keep birds away from windows.... it involves wires somehow, so they are scared away.<br><br><br><br>
One bird flew into a window here and was killed instantly, while another was injured.... I took it around the corner to the bird wildlife lady who looks after injured wild birds, but it died overnight.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we put CD's in our big windows to reflect light, so birds never run into our big windows. What surprised me is that this bird this morning didn't learn! It probably did see it's reflection and tried to attack, but seriously, it kept doing it, every few seconds, over and over. I thought birds were smarter than that.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The bird probably sees his reflection. Seeing a quite "studly" bird of equal masculinity to his fine self, he is threatened and decides to take on this imposter. He is quite alarmed that the opponent matches his repetoire of bird karate moves exactly but continues to assault his opponent.<br><br><br><br>
Ok , seriously ... hmmm, you could try getting a plastic Owl or hawk replica and putting that outside the window on the ground (or even inside the window maybe). They can keep birds from approaching ... probably would work with robins. That's just a hunch.<br><br><br><br>
For your sake and the bird's , I hope you find a solution

1 - 8 of 8 Posts