VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*pulling hair out*

My boyfriend has recently expressed interest in the vegetarian diet. Of course I am THRILLED by this. Especially since we are relocating to a new state and will be living together. Well his mother (a very overbearing, overprotective, baby-ing Latino mom) who used to be a Veggie, mind you, says this to him the other day: "When you two are living in California you go and find yourself a Mexican restaraunt and order a nice peice of meat so you get protein"

WTF!?? Coming from a woman who says she's open minded and tried being a Veggie for a while? Second of all I never told him he can't eat meat when we are living together. He is doing this on his own! Thirdly he knows how to take care of himself, my God! (Me thinks she's bitter that he's not mommy's little boy anymore and he is making a life and forming a mind of his own but that's a WHOLE other issue all together!)

He tried to defend his efforts to adopt vegetarianism by informing her how much protein can be gotten from a plant-based diet and she cut him off and said "no you can't". Then he explained to her how our bodies are set up for more of a plant-based diet and her response was "no, it's not". Then she went on to say that humans are supposed to eat meat and blah-blah-same-ole-omni-song-and-dance....but shot him down with a "no it's not", "no you can't" everytime he tried to defend himself and the veggie lifestyle.

It's so disapointing.

So now not only does she pretty much despise me because I am now the woman her 'baby boy' loves, but now she probably thinks I'm trying to 'convert' him. I'm not! He's doing it himself and I'm so excited but she's WEARING ME OUT!

He says that he knows she's wrong but she's polluting his mind with negative, uninformed, untrue statements and it's making me feel like she's against me.

Anyone else dealt with In Laws or could offer me some advice so that I don't move away with him on disaproving terms with his mother? Why is being a Veggie so bad to begin with? What am I doing wrong here?

I'm running out of patience with her for this and many other reasons relating to her babying her son who is not a child or teenager anymore.

And please, I do not mean to offend any mothers on here by this!

I just need HELP!

~sk

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
ahh thats nuts. My boyfriend's mom is a little looney, but she actually was happy when I started feeding him because she knew he wouldn't just be eating crap all the time. lol. She's happy he eats vegetables and fruits now!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Just smile and nod and eat what you want to eat. Arguing with her won't get you anywhere and if you plan on spending forever with this guy, his mother will be a permanent part of your life too.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeah Sometimes I Just Say Whene People Starting Asking Me About My Eating I Say You Know I Do It For My Reasons And You Dont Really Care About It Anyway So Yep Thats Why

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think she is just being a mom because you are moving away and taking one of her 'babies' away from her. She is probably just scared and sad that you are going but it is coming out in a weird way.

It sounds like a common response too from an ex-veggie. I have met a few people who were trying to veg and than went back to eating meat because they were afraid of the 'protein myth'.

I would comment back "We won't have to worry about eating meat for protein when we move because California is such a good place to be veggie - we will be able to find lots of veggie protein packed food"

Look on the bright side - you will be moving soon and than you won't have to deal with it.

(congrats on your move btw - I am trying to move out to Cali myself
)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's true. And I do want to be in her good graces. I hope she's just going through certain motions and once that's done she'll realize that I love her son to death and have nothing but his best interests at heart!!

And YES! I am feeding him well!!

Guess I need to be patient and positive!

Thanks!

~sk

·
Registered
885 Posts
My DH and I are moving right now, so we're going through the packing-purging thing, lol. I found in my file cabinet a letter written to us by his father, when we decided to go vegetarian today, and about how he was concerned about us. He was worried about everything, from protein, to how we could survive in the business world without eating meat (being seen as outsiders during business dinners, etc) to our personal enjoyment! Really these people love us and by rejecting their "food" it feels a bit like a rejection of them. My inlaws have now embraced our diet (thank goodness, because now the rest of their kids have become veg too!) and will happily let us raise their granddaughter vegetarian. We had a good laugh over the letter, and I promptly kept it for future giggles. My parents are another story - they dont say anything negative about the veg diet, but they do feel slighted by it, and don't really make us anything we can eat when we go there. Different people react in differnet ways. Plus, you're stealing away her baby to california!! lol. She just feels like she's losing her little boy (which she is) and it will be a period of adjustment for her. Good luck!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Definitely time to move, LOL !

She'll get used to the idea. As others already pointed out, I think it's more about your taking her boy away from her than what you are feeding him indeed.

(I still sometimes deal with people who think I am with some weird religious sect that forbids me to eat meat... just shows how ignorant people are when it comes to "deviant" diets...).

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
It sounds like she is angry with her son. She isn't arguing with you, is she? She is angry because he is moving away from her and she can do nothing to stop it. If she isn't being openly hateful to you, you are just a side issue. The price of her love for him is the pain of loosing him to California. If you were staying close it wouldn't be such a big deal what you ate. All I can tell you is just reasure her that she will always be welcome in your home, be gentle with her, show her every respect, promise to feed him well, tell her how very much you love him and treasure him. It is really hard for a Mom to stay angry at a girl who treasures her son and takes good care of him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eventually she will be fine. (I HOPE!) There are a lot of changes going on for her right now so she's probably just freaking a bit. I have faith in her.

veggielove- "survive in the business world w/o meat!?" lol...that's halarious.

I wasn't aware that one's success is defined by their meat intake! hehe...

It's crazy how people get insulted by actions that don't directly affect them. Humors me lots! Because being humane, caring for the environment, and keeping healthy are traits of a real jackass.

~sk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.