VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago my boyfriend told me to look up a thing, called "chronic fatigue" he says he suspects we both have it, me due to i cant tell half the time what my temperature is correctly... because sometimes ill think im warm when really im cold, and vice versa its only rare when i get it right. Also have depression, i do sleep more than usual, and have memory loss which is a couple of them? He has anxiety, depression and other issues.... Just wondering if its possible that he's right? At first i was skeptical to what it was... Then im like 50/50 im not exactly sure that hes right... I never suspected it? :eek:Thoughts on this would be helpful in anyway? I also feel extremly more tired due to dry eyes, but getting this sorted fairly soon in the next few weeks (hopefully!!!) :laugh: :D Thanks All!
- Jinx

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
It's possible, but I wouldn't try to diagnose this yourself. Your symptoms could be caused by other things as well. A visit to your doctor might be helpful.

About 8 years ago, I caught 5 colds in one year. I thought that it might be my diet (maybe anemia). I made an appointment with a Registered Dietitian, who asked me to keep a detailed food diary for week. After examining my food diary, she diagnosed simple lack of calories! I never would have guessed this myself.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Chronic fatigue syndrome is one of the latest and trendiest conditions to self diagnose yourself with (kinda like gluten intolerance).
It's hard to prove you don't have and makes you seem unique. There are probably more people who don't have it, yet claim to have it, than people who actually do have it.

Check your diet (make sure you are getting enough calories, vitamins, and minerals), then consult a doctor. Good luck.

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
Self-diagnosed "chronic fatigue syndrome" is more likely a nutrient deficiency and/or adrenal fatigue. If you feel tired all the time, it's definitely not normal and you should consult a naturopath to have some blood work done to figure out (and address) the root cause. Western medical doctors will just medicate and/or write your complaints off in a belittling way without ever identifying or treating the actual issue. A naturopathic doctor can order necessary tests, suggest dietary/lifestyle changes, supplements/herbs AND prescribe pharmaceutical medications if need be. I'd suggest you start there.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Are you eating a well balanced diet and getting everything you need, plus at least 45 minutes of exercise a day?

You'd be amazed at all the things that will cure.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I second getting yourself checked out if it is interfering with your life, especially if you are already eating healthy etc.

The symptoms you describe are vague and could fit any number of problems. I have hypothyroidism and have for 26 years, and your symptoms fit me to a T when my thyroid is too hypo and TSH comes back too high. Thyroid controls metabolism so the hot and cold feelings and temperature imbalances are key symptoms of a thyroid not working properly. Depression and anxiety are also common. I actually have symptoms more similar to hyperthyroidism when I am actually hypo, like weight loss, diarrhea, anxiety, sweating, heart palps. Go figure. Even after twenty six years, when I start having certain symptoms, I go get my thyroid checked again and it is almost always that, but sometimes it turns out I am on too much thyroid med when I think I am hypo or on too little when I think I am hyper. I don't try to self treat with that because it is so tricky to try to guess at (and dangerous to self treat).

The thing about CFS is it is a disease of elimination, meaning there is no diagnostic test that will say yes this is what you have. Sort of like IBS, a blanket diagnosis when they can't find anything else.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
A few days ago my boyfriend told me to look up a thing, called "chronic fatigue" he says he suspects we both have it, me due to i cant tell half the time what my temperature is correctly... because sometimes ill think im warm when really im cold, and vice versa its only rare when i get it right. Also have depression, i do sleep more than usual, and have memory loss which is a couple of them? He has anxiety, depression and other issues.... Just wondering if its possible that he's right? At first i was skeptical to what it was... Then im like 50/50 im not exactly sure that hes right... I never suspected it? :eek:Thoughts on this would be helpful in anyway? I also feel extremly more tired due to dry eyes, but getting this sorted fairly soon in the next few weeks (hopefully!!!) :laugh: :D Thanks All!
- Jinx

Looking up something on the Internet is not the same as going to the doctor. So go to a doctor.

If you do have it, then you need to be put on a management plan.

M.E (Myalgic encephalomyelitis) isn't something to put off diagnosing because the sooner you're on a management plan, the better your chances are of living a decent life.

But going through your symptoms, they could pretty much indicate anything. If you have depression, then one of the markers of that is you sleep a lot. Also, knowing your body temperature is different to being extremely affected by temperature and not being able to regulate body temperature. So, while it is a worrying symptom it may not have anything to do with M.E (or it could, which is why you should go to a doctor).

I do want to just clarify one thing, for anyone who's not aware of M.E/Chronic Fatigue....It doesn't mean you're tired and sleep a lot. It means you're fatigued which is a very different thing. It's like saying someone is 'sad' when they're actually depressed.

For instance- Person A goes to the shops, meets with friends and then gets home and goes "Wow, I'm really pooped after that long day of doing stuff!"
Person B, who has M.E, goes to the shops, meets with friends, gets home and says "I actually don't have the energy for a shower tonight" and they mean, they don't have the energy to shower. That can last for hours or days (even weeks and months).

It all varies from person to person, but some of the worst cases I've heard about include people not being able to get themselves to the toilet without the assistance of someone else.

But of course, being tired or worn out from any kind of activity can indicate all kinds of things, which is important to consider. So, I'll say it again- Get to a doctor, Jinx. You and you boyfriend need to be checked out for whatever is wrong with you. Google is not a doctor.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Chronic Fatigue is something diagnosed after all other conditions are ruled out. Get to a doctor, I can bet that most of your symptoms are deficiencies or caused by lack of exercise. Or lack of sleep.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow lots of replies! I do hardly any exercise sadly, i only walk to a bus stop for college, walk back, then back home and game a lot too. I was only wondering because I'm not entirely sure!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also have had thyroid, blood, urine, and hormones checked and they are find had these tests a while back in january time i think

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Vitamin D was the reason I was worn out all the time. My levels were almost non-existent.
This. It is an extremely common deficiency. I am paleskinned and live in Florida, yet I had very low levels too (before I went veg.) I supplement now and don't always use sunscreen.

The only way to know is to get some labs drawn. Go to the doc. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Chronic fatigue syndrome is one of the latest and trendiest conditions to self diagnose yourself with (kinda like gluten intolerance)..
Just to clarify... It may, indeed, be trendy, but it's not one of the latest. I was one of the early ones. I got sick in 1980. Took me a very long time, and lost too much of my life (including most of my son's growing-up years), but I got well. I've been well for 8 years. You can do the math. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, just wanted to clarify that CFIDS/M.E. has been around for a while and it's devastating.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Wow lots of replies! I do hardly any exercise sadly, i only walk to a bus stop for college, walk back, then back home and game a lot too. I was only wondering because I'm not entirely sure!
That's likely part of the problem. When I don't work out, I feel exhausted all the time.

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Vitamin D and magnesium really helped me. Get your blood checked and make sure you aren't low on vitamin D, if you are 10,000 IU +300 mg of magnesium a day for 3 months will have you feeling much better. Vitamin D is an important mood regulator, and we are seeing a lot more people with vitamin D defieicineis. Also, make sure you don't have a candida overgrowth. That stuff SUCKKSS and made me so unbelivably fatigued because of candida die off. You need to take probiotics for a month and also take molybdenum which converts the harmful die off reaction chemicals into an acid that doesn't hurt your body. But likely for you it's a vitamin D issue, though it could be candida in addition.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all, i didnt suspect it as im usually tired, i have been taking supplements to help with my dry eyes, its helped a little for energy but i still feel tired. Maybe its due to lack of exercise, im kinda fed up everytime i go to docs and they take tests and it comes back okay, I use to be obessed with exercise as i wanted a flat stomach then kinda gave up after a while. I try eat fairly healthy, ive minuimised the amount of caffeine i drink, which i think helps. I drink green tea too, ^^ Figured chamomile helps to make you sleepy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just to clarify... It may, indeed, be trendy, but it's not one of the latest. I was one of the early ones. I got sick in 1980. Took me a very long time, and lost too much of my life (including most of my son's growing-up years), but I got well. I've been well for 8 years. You can do the math. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, just wanted to clarify that CFIDS/M.E. has been around for a while and it's devastating.
I'm not trying to trivialize the condition and I hope I didn't come across that way.

I was pointing out that there are people who pretend to have such conditions to get attention. This makes people more likely to think that they have the condition too.
It's like that woman who claimed to have PTSD because some people disagreed with her on the internet. Many others have also claimed to have PTSD from similar situations, which is a big slap in the face to anyone who really has it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts