VeggieBoards banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';">Ok, so I just got a call from my vet. She said that my kittens biopsy results were back and that she had Botomycosis. My vet had never seen Botomycosis before and she has to consult some people to find out exactly what it is, if it's curable, if its contagious etc. I was just wondering if anyone here has had an animal companion with Botomycosis before or if anyone knows what is.</span>

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well I am stumped. Never heard of it before. I'm sure you are looking for people with practical experience with this to help you out. I hope someone here can help you. Good luck and I am sending good thoughts to your baby.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I looked on the internet and couldn't find anythinh. Are you sure you have the correct spelling (although it seems pretty straighforward)?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My vet said there probably wouldn't be anything about it on the internet, shes never even seen it before. I've searched everything I can find trying to figure out what it is but it looks like i'm going to have to wait until she calls back.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i found something called "otomycosis", which is apparently a fungal ear infection. but i'm not sure why you would have to have a biopsy to get that result.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it wasn't 'otomycosis' it was 'botomycosis'. Our vet called today and apparantly its a bacterial infection. Unfortunatly, because it is spread all through my kittens abdomen they can't surgically remove the infected area. However, we can treat her with medication for ten days at a time when she gets really sluggish and sick. They said that she won't live to be an old kitty, but she probably still has a few years ahead of her.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
hmmm...i'm skeptical of something here (not you, so hopefully you won't take it that way). first of all "myco" is a referrer to fungal things in general, not bacterial. and that my search on google pulls up NOTHING with that word...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I said before, the vet said there probably wouldn't be anything about it on the internet. As for "myco" meaning fungal things, maybe this is an exception of some kind.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
rats carry a bacteria that often causes them to have respiratory problems called mycoplasma<br><br><br><br><br><br>
eta: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma</a>

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i guess my question is...if there is nothing about it on the internet, and pubmed (scientific articles) specifically, where did the vet get information about it? how can there be a bacteria with no scientific literature about it? in any case, hopefully this is a correct diagnosis and the meds will make your kitty better, in any case.<br><br><br><br>
interesting tbt...i guess it got it's name because it makes things which look like fungi so that's probably what folks thought it was at first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Biopsy was sent to P.E.I, so I very highly doubt it was a wrong diagnosis. I'm not sure where exactly my vet got the information, all I know is that she E-mailed some people. Not a whole lot is known about this bacteria, so theres nothing about it on the internet yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts