VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,684 Posts
I saw previews for it, and though some of it looks funny, I don't know if I could sit through two hours of cultural jabs. I guess that's what I did in "Saved!", but it's a completely different kind of movie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,217 Posts
I saw SBC in character as Borat on The Daily Show last night. It was only for about 10 minutes, but I guess that was enough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I saw previews for it, and though some of it looks funny, I don't know if I could sit through two hours of cultural jabs. I guess that's what I did in "Saved!", but it's a completely different kind of movie.
But then, it's kind like laughing at yourself.

I think I may have hyperventilated from laughing so hard during that film. When Hilary Faye throws the Bible at the other girl's head...I think I fell out of my seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I think I may have hyperventilated from laughing so hard during that film. When Hilary Faye throws the Bible at the other girl's head...I think I fell out of my seat.
You're cute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,895 Posts
Full points CJ for spelling Kazakhstan correctly.

Sacha Boran Cohen, is a jew too everybody!.... That odd fact I find even more weirdly funny (and knida sick!) but all in all liberating at the same time that he provokes reactions in order to allow discussion on matters ppl are afraid to approach or confront or face, so all such comedy, going beyond comedy can very definately challenge a person to face their own prejudices etc.... and although venturing into being unpleasant (I've not seen the film and don't necessarily have to) I think its not as much unhealthy as healthy, in a burst of laughter, mind stinging kinda way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

But then, it's kind like laughing at yourself.

I think I may have hyperventilated from laughing so hard during that film. When Hilary Faye throws the Bible at the other girl's head...I think I fell out of my seat.
Oh, I definitely was laughing at myself. Or, rather, I was laughing at the subculture in which I grew up and cringing at how close to accurate much of it was.

My family and friends are divided over that film. Some friends love it to pieces, like I do. Several others were furious at me for showing it to them when they came over one evening. I guess if you either take your faith or yourself too seriously, it won't be funny at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Then you must hate yourself.
Ummm, this thread is: "Borat:Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compassionate1 View Post

Ummm, this thread is: "Borat:Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.
Cute, I caught your jeezycreezy misquote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
I haven't seen a comedy so well-reviewed in a very long time. I'll be surprised if this doesn't go big this weekend.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top