VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have not really gone down the self-help book route yet in my ED recovery and wondered if anyone here had any good recommendations they would like to share?

I have just finished reading a true story of anorexia and the author's eventual recovery ('Thin' by Grace Bowman) which has led me to ask this question; it was amazing how much I identified with her story. I cried through the entire last chapter. In a good way!

Grace Bowman has a website-

http://www.gracebowman.net/index.htm

So! Any good reading matter out there- or any books you just found triggering or not useful? Any recommendations gratefully received

·
Registered
321 Posts
"Wasted" by Mayria Haufman (I am sure I misspelled her 1st name)

Actually, this book MAY even ENCOURAGE anorexia or perhaps increase the ED in some who read... but you never know what's gonna happen with anyone

It disgusted me, to say the least.

But it was great, I couldn't put it down.

She went through such a hard life, and it was all just caused by her own self.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucine View Post

"Wasted" by Mayria Haufman (I am sure I misspelled her 1st name)

Actually, this book MAY even ENCOURAGE anorexia or perhaps increase the ED in some who read... but you never know what's gonna happen with anyone

It disgusted me, to say the least.

But it was great, I couldn't put it down.

She went through such a hard life, and it was all just caused by her own self.
I've read this book too. I enjoyed it, but it appeared to be very graphic, and disturbing in some areas.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I agree with cissy, too..

i like "You Remind Me of You" by Eireann Corrigan. it *CAN* be triggering. However, I found that her eventual recovery struggle to be VERY VERY helpful to my struggles with recovering from Ana on my own w/o medical intervention.

·
Registered
244 Posts
wasted may be good for recovery. i read it when i was suffering, still involved with my ED and it did disgust me. it didn't have too huge of an impact on me at that point, but i mean-the girl gets down to 60 or so pounds. her life falls apart. when i read it i wanted to jump into the pages and scream what the heck are you doing. then i realized i was headed down the same path.

but yeah, it could give tips or encouragement i suppose so be cautious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts