VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BOOKMARKordering& BROWSERS>>BMks>>TRANSFER (and some other cool associated utilities)

FIRST TO MENTION:

I have an slightly OLDer thread about wondering which various utilities you all use which might have use for me, but THIS TIME: this time is just about BOOKMARKS & BROWSERS, and most crucially the deal on how to transfer IE bookmarks particularly in my case from IE6 to Firefox[v2]... (when it comes out but any FireFox you have, tell me about it please as regards this matter!!).

So SOME of my BASIC questions and answers SO FAR are:

Do those with FireFox [2] or any version know of any ability in FireFox Browser to import(/or Export even?) efficiently the bookmark collections stored in IE(6) ?? I have IE6, but IE essentially.....

IF NOT, what I found that looks to work 'co-independantly' (so to speak) as a program of its own making is a piece of FREE software I found called "BookMarkBridger" and includes ability transfer to ANY browser apparently, from on to another, but namely working IE & FIREFOX in my case, (that is once I download firefox immiinently). Maybe version 2.(0?) FireFox is already there to download, but whatever, tell me how you may have used FireFox to import bookmarks okay? (if possible the browser has that utility and then I might not need so much (or at all?) my assistant bookmarkbridge program I found (which does exactly the job I describe if I opt for that, I might use it anyway, but tell me your methods or knowall about how you do it!!)

Now, as solutions obviously and invitably DO EXIST, it can't be hard to do this... but I wonder how can I at the same time have my bookmarks REMAIN in the IE browser AS WELL AS have them transfered to another browser such as FireFox ?

For your delectations, here are some links for first of all the "BookmarkBridger"" (AKA BrowserBookmark Transferer).

http://bookmarkbridge.sourceforge.net (downloadeth here) FREE!!!!!!!

www.sourceforge.net/projects/bookmarkbridge (project site!) useful too!

(for other such applications, you can check where I got this link here: http://www.toejumper.net/rescue3/sharebrowser.htm (not all shareware)

INCIDENTLY:

One other neat thing there I found is a Portable FireFox Transferer of bookmarks for your USB's and such, so you can take as many bookmarks as you want with you on the move man!
Cool shiz!!!!http://sourceforge.net/projects/portablefirefox

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, this ordinary but COOL, alphabetical bookmarker ALSO FREE, EVERYTHING ABOVE IS FREE TOO!!!!

http://www.cocoholo.com (3 Free Programs here, bookmark one 3rd of 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUOTE of toejumper View Post

site under letter "A" >> Alphabetical Bookmark Collector 1.01 is a plain and simple bookmark manager that allows you to quickly access your IE Favorites from an alphabetical register instead of a folder tree. It's very useful if you have several Favorites and want to search them by name. The index is mouse-sensitive, so you can just move your mouse over the letters in order to display the Favorites associated with them

Cheers,

VA.

·
Registered
897 Posts
the simplest method i'm aware of is export favorites in IE as bookmark.htm file, then use the bookmark manager in firefox to import them.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, so as I thought there is already on board each browser a way to transfer bookmarks.... but I wonder how simple is simple when possibly its even more simple using my suggested freeware. Can't hurt to try I guess.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first comment in this post includes a mention of (as outlined in the OP) my OTHER method and where now I'm replying to VeggieFrank in the first senctence here, AND AS WELL>>> *see below the quote for what VeggieFrank is suggesting to me as the *..

okay, so as I thought there is already on board each browser a way to transfer bookmarks.... but I wonder how simple is simple when possibly its even more simple using my suggested freeware. Can't hurt to try I guess.

Quote:
the simplest method i'm aware of is export favorites in IE as bookmark.htm file, then use the bookmark manager in firefox to import them.
BUT what about when I actually get doing this EXPORT from IE, will it give me a prompt or option of somekind about exporting to my new FireFox browser?? And quite what do I click on to make this happen anyway???? to make myself a bookmark.htm file of all my urls?? ..( I can do this all in one go right??)

AND THEREIN, to make this all twice as effective (the whole bookmark thing) I could raelly do with being able to synchronize my bookmarks TOO, in both browsers}} BOTH in FF & IE.... (or at very least be able to transfer a bulk load as outlined in my above desire) .....I need SOMETHING of that nature, as I need bookmarks in my browser else whats the point in me trying to browse anything!!??
HENCE I NEED HELP /SUGGESTIONS.....

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To all/ anyone... VF if you're around....

You'll see in the post above my comment includes a mention of (as outlined in the OP) my program assisted method but ALSO if practicable in anyway I am here now considering VeggieFrank approach, AND further to that approach mow you will below I respond again asking about what VeggieFrank is suggesting to me what is supposedly (the more usual method of approach I guess)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

BUT what about when I actually get doing this EXPORT from IE, will it give me a prompt or option of somekind about exporting to my new FireFox browser?? And quite what do I click on to make this happen anyway???? to make myself a bookmark.htm file of all my urls?? ..( I can do this all in one go right??)

AND THEREIN, to make this all twice as effective (the whole bookmark thing) I could raelly do with being able to synchronize my bookmarks TOO, in both browsers}} BOTH in FF & IE.... (or at very least be able to transfer a bulk load as outlined in my above desire) .....I need SOMETHING of that nature, as I need bookmarks in my browser else whats the point in me trying to browse anything!!??

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To all/ anyone... VF if you're around....

You'll see in the post above my comment includes a mention of (as outlined in the OP) my program assisted method but ALSO if practicable in anyway I am here now considering VeggieFrank approach, AND further to that approach now you will below I respond again asking about what VeggieFrank is suggesting to me what is supposedly the more usual method of approach I guess, and I'm trying to clue myself up on that as I speak (with actually not really a clue)
.. Anyway..On I press with more questions therefore!!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

DIRECTLY ANSWERING TO THE ADVICE GAVE BY VF IN THE QUOTE:

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Message originally posted by VA~goth~UK on 02-09-07 at 02:19 PM:

btw: BACK TO PURELY ORGANIZING BOOKMARKS, A TIP>> I have now downloaded "abc", (which will not transfer my bookmarks [thats not its job, so safe!]

...but I wanted to let other ppl know about this in this thread, [strike]as it is so cool,[/strike] [eta =AHEM!!!! see below 19th/Feb/07]

How cool I will soon know for sure to then tell the rest of you how good it is [OR NOT]
BUT where to get if you like something simple like this is, go here: www.cocoholo.com (link also in the OP)

HOLA!!! note; ETA: You don't use coco for FireFox, its for IE, but definately suck it anyway, its still good (I predict!!)
whether you have one or both browsers (but only IE as far as this software).

================================================== =======

19th feb 2007
UPDATE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[strike]as it is so cool,[/strike] <<<< Nuh uuuuhhh!!! ETA: NOT THAT COOL, VERY SIMPLE AND PRACTICALLY FEATURELESS || YOU CAN'T "DOWLOAD OR COPY" URLS, ALL YOU CAN DO IS NAVIGATE YOUR BOOKMARKS AND THATS IT. AND VIEW EACH LETTER CATAGORY IN WHAT COLOR YOU WISH (btw: that color then applies to all your A-Z letter catagories).

Update of what I think about ABC bookmark collector.since trying it out today,

USE OF ABC. (is it any good, in a word= no not really very much at all !!!
.....unless>> you have ultra simple designs for it/ intentions in other words!!)

ROUNDUP >>>>

WHAT IS OKAY:

^^^^^^^^^
  • So the VERY VERY SIMPLE PROGRAM is nothing much worth looking into unless you simply wanna navigate urls (lanch each individual bookmark one at a time) filed under each letter and see the list for each one.
  • Each time you start the program All your A-Z links will be propogated afresh as I understand it and with no interference to your IE bookmarks as ABC works entirely independantly, a definate plus!!!! (which I suppose is the main feature of any benefit, that plus the obvious A-Z listings of all your face urls, not all in one pane though, only one letter per time).

WHAT IS NOT OKAY:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

• No number indicator of "how many" urls (unless you count each flipping one) so with absence of a feature that tells how many urls you have anywhere in sight anywhere!!! THAT SUCKS AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED!!!!
  • You can't download or copy them (copy urls) from within ABC itself which is what I was hoping you could do. SUCKS!!!
  • Oh, and also the random GO TO, url jump, is pointless feature unless you have time randomly. DUH, if I wanted a random URL jump to ANY url facility, why the hell would I be wasting my time with a BOOK MARK ORGANIZER

·
Registered
897 Posts
re: import/export

i don't have Windows up atm, but I believe the export function was under the file menu. on the firefox end, the import was under the bookmark manager.

re: abc

nice tool. bookmark management is one of the major weak points of many browsers, imo. out of the box, i think safari handles it very nicely with spotlight integration. not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

i'd like to hear how you guys manage bookmarks.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Frank, I appreciate you don't have your wotnot browser to hand at the moment to test out what I wanna do.... maybe later will you try if I am unsuccessful??

As to Safari, I've not looked into it..... And maybe I should not be all up in arms about that right now?? UNLESS I'M MISSING AN EXPERIENCE A GREAT DEAL BETTER??.... but anyhow makes me wonder is FireFox regarded at all as a useful stepping stone on the way to such browsers??.... (I'm not really trying to imply any one browser is superior though at this point)... WELCOME THOUGH ANYBODY IS TO TELL ME, as its all a bit trial & error for right now as I decide whether I should commit to use of FireFox for at least a while?? I don't effing know
, but to that end if anyone wants to tell me which browsers they think work best for what reasons, I welcome you to please go to my other thread, equally as hot as this thread atm, so You'll know which I'm on about.... THE "ME NEW TO FIREFOX THREAD") ....Cheers.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beneath is a quote on the Spurl Social Bookmarking site, that is thought to be closing down, okay, so what do you do if this happens. Well, I guess you follow similar advice as what this man Eric is saying, and darn it, if it weren't for him I'd be without knowing about GMarks possibly or I might have seen it actually in amongst FireFox arsenal (apps), but anyway, here's a tip or two for those who for instance want to export from a closing down site to save their urls.

The guy also mentions an 'alternative' social networking site that is www.diigo.com which looks honestly not bad at all, ...1) *particularly as you have demos before you signup AND 2) you can export or distribute to "9" other networking/ bookmarking/ social sites!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurl.net forum member, offering a few tips, about Spurl export of his urls elsewhere, (which are useful hints generally I think) View Post

If you end up going with the Google Bookmarks solution, and you use Firefox, there is a very nice extension that integrates the service (https://addons.mozilla.org/search.ph...E&app=firefox).

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to save the tags from Spurl when I transferred my bookmarks. However, before the break between Spurl and delicious, many of my bookmarks had tags in delicious. So, I figured at least I would have tags for some of my bookmarks. Soooo, what I did after much trial and error was the following:

- import my delicious bookmarks into Google Bookmarks using (http://blog.persistent.info/2006/10/...rks-into.html).

- export my Spurl bookmarks using http://www.spurl.net/myspurls/export.php

- install the Google Toolbar in IE

- import the file created from the Spurl export into Google Bookmarks using the Google Toolbar

The reason I used the Google Toolbar in IE to import the bookmarks is that it seems to do a better job than the functionality in the GMarks Firefox extension. However, once the bookmarks are in Google Bookmarks, the GMarks extension provides significantly better functionality than the bookmarks functionality in the Google Toolbar. Plus when the bookmarks are imported into Google Bookmarks, folders and subfolders are written as a single tag with a colon (
between the folder names. Using GMarks, you can specify the separator you use, then when looking at your bookmarks in GMarks these will be displayed in the folder / subfolder format.

I know this is a long response, but thought someone may find it useful.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, post them here.

Eric

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LISTEN UP PLEASE:

I'm going to have this thread split real soon, as the purely firefox/bookmark migration issues are getting in the way of matters which are purely focused on bookmark utilities themselves and use of them and which ones are best for the best possible organization and ease of use stuff..... To happen *shortly I PROMISE*... just keep checking in this thread meanwhile.......

My latest find, very precociously is ANOTHER (completed unrelated) url "go-to" facilitator which guess what is ALSO called by similar name as the above poor performer!!!!! But the one I speak of here is at least a significant improvement I would think and looks to sit right at the top of your browser in a thin A-Z toolbar!!! To check it out for yourself some more, go here: www.abcshortcuts.com

www.abcshortcuts.com/screenshot.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: (more software like this....pointed out here)

~so far in time, I have only seen one or two others resembling the functionality "abcshortcuts" appears to offer made obvious by its simple toolbar and abc methodology/ *approach* in other words...... Anyway those others of which I will keep an eye for again in case anyone is interested, for the moment I have lost where I saw them, but I can always look back and find where I've been to reproduce those results for y'all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts