VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some help in finding some books with deal with futuristic theories ect..

Books that look at the impact of wasted resources,global warming ect..but that focus on what our future may look like.

any ideas?

TIA!

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells!

Well, ok it doesn't really talk so much about environmental issues, but I love the philosophy of how the future human race splits into carnivores/herbivores--of course with the carnivores being ugly, twisted, subterranean beasts while the herbivores are hot Yvette Mimieux lookalikes.

Um... Farnham's Freehold by Heinlein also has a post-apocalyptic view of the future, again with the theme of "polite cannibalism" as a solution to the Earth's dwindling food resources.

Sorry, I can't come up with anything environmental. I think environmental issues didn't appear until recent years, and I haven't read much recent fiction.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My suggestion is Memory Boy by Will Weaver. It's a young adult book, but it deals with how the United States copes after two erupting volcanos devastate the land and the economy.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
One of my absolute favorite books, the book that was really a turning point in my life and ideologies, is THE SACRED BALANCE by David Suzuki. Recommend it a million times over.

Also, a neat book is ECOTOPIA by Ernest Callenbach. It presents a really neat(albeit idealistic) view of the future. Check it out.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
One of my absolute favorite books, the book that was really a turning point in my life and ideologies, is THE SACRED BALANCE by David Suzuki. Recommend it a million times over.

Also, a neat book is ECOTOPIA by Ernest Callenbach. It presents a really neat(albeit idealistic) view of the future. Check it out.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

Also, a neat book is ECOTOPIA by Ernest Callenbach. It presents a really neat(albeit idealistic) view of the future. You can look it up on Wikipedia.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've read The Sheep Look Up, which I feel is worth the time. Not outstanding, but it does deal with the environment and such. I'm guessing you're looking for fiction? In any case, I found this list on Amazon that may help you, though I don't see much on there that I can personally recommend.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I would recommend the book 'Collapse: How societies choose to succeed or fail' by Jared Diamond.

He looks at about 5 different past civilizations and how their environmental impact led to the decline/collapse of their civilization. He then analyzes contemporary civilization and makes future projections.

It's facsinating, and I know you are looking for stuff about the future, but I think an examination of the past gives us great insight into the future.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey thanks everyone.I am going to seriously ponder all of the suggestions and go get me some books. I just wanted some sort of furture-istic books , looking at different theories.

You kow, someone mentioned a book once about how in the future rich classes became a minority and the poorer classes, became so fraught with disease and peril..like our different societies lived on 'Islands' amid total choas of poverty and suffering around us.Cant really explain the idea very well..

does that ring a bell for anyone on the name of such book?

p.s To the board member who mentioned D.Suzuki ~ I will get the book.Earth time was one of the most moving things Ive ever read.Hes amazing.Thankyou.

(he even signed the book to me!)

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
>>

You kow, someone mentioned a book once about how in the future rich classes became a minority and the poorer classes, became so fraught with disease and peril..like our different societies lived on 'Islands' amid total choas of poverty and suffering around us.>>

This sounds like a relatively straightforward, factual account of the present day.

I'm of course partial to 1984, but It doesn't really deal with environmental themes.

ebola

1 - 15 of 15 Posts