VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

My name is Laurent, I live in south of France, I am 26 years old and I am a vegetarian.

I found the forum by searching another thing (a thing about vegetarianism) and I register myself to read and learning with your experiences. I am vegetarien since one year now, I am fine, I take no medicines (or vitamins, etc...).

I do a lot of sport, I practice Brasilian Jiu Jitsu. I work in computer science, I am a PhD student.

I hope that my english is good, I hope learn it better.

Thanks for reading me, and correcting me if my english is bad

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Hola! Your English is at least as good as many here, who are fluent in it. Welcome.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Shyvas

Is not very hard to be a vegetarian in France and there are a lot of stores where you can find organic food. But if you search, "false cheese" or "false meat", it's very hard. Moreover, organic food is often expensive. And there is no "vegetarian label" in France on products in markets.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennkuhl View Post

Thanks Shyvas

Is not very hard to be a vegetarian in France and there are a lot of stores where you can find organic food. But if you search, "false cheese" or "false meat", it's very hard. Moreover, organic food is often expensive. And there is no "vegetarian label" in France on products in markets.
What I meant by that is when you're invited to diner or if going to a restaurant it is difficult saying that you're not a meat eater. At home, when you prepare your own food it isn't too difficult.

You can also buy vegan food at Leader Price, Leclerc and Carrefour's. You have the shop's own brand or one of my favourites is Bjorg. Their soya cream tastes fabulous.

You can also buy vegan ham, sausages, tofu and seitan in the magasins Bio organic shops. The prices are very expensive because everything has to be organic. It is a shame that there are no shops similar to Trader Joe's or Henry's (US food shops) as they have much cheaper prices and a greater selection.

I often buy vegan cheese and chocolate online at Un monde Vegan. They are very friendly and you have a 48 hr delivery service. I recommend Redwoods for cheese.

http://www.unmondevegan.com/index.cfm

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, i'm sorry, i don't understand what you meant. Indeed it is very difficult to be understood in a restaurant, it's very hard every time. And since i'm vegetarian, my friends aren't my friends anymore. So, no, is not difficult, while you eat with another vegetarian :p

Where do you live ?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennkuhl View Post

Ok, i'm sorry, i don't understand what you meant. Indeed it is very difficult to be understood in a restaurant, it's very hard every time. And since i'm vegetarian, my friends aren't my friends anymore. So, no, is not difficult, while you eat with another vegetarian :p

Where do you live ?
So, they weren't your friends in the first place Laurent.

I'm near Aix en Provence.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

I often buy vegan cheese and chocolate online at Un monde Vegan. They are very friendly and you have a 48 hr delivery service. I recommend Redwoods for cheese.

http://www.unmondevegan.com/index.cfm
Un Monde Vegan is a life-saver! I haven't tried the cheese yet, though.

Shyvas, hope you're enjoying your stay in France, what are you doing over there?

I beg to differ with Ennkhul when he says that being veg is easy in France though, at least on a social level. From my experience, vegeta*ism isn't understood at all and most people make not attempt at trying to understand it.
I often go to dinner with Chinese, American and German co-workers and I'm always amazed at how easy-going and accommodating they are regarding my food choices. That's something I've never experienced in France (so far).

Shyvas, what's it's like being vegan in France for you compared to N.America?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post

Un Monde Vegan is a life-saver! I haven't tried the cheese yet, though.

It was mainly for cheese that I started ordering as you cannot find vegan cheese in organic shops.

Shyvas, hope you're enjoying your stay in France, what are you doing over there?

I live overhere. What do I do ? Work like everyone else LOL

I beg to differ with Ennkhul when he says that being veg is easy in France though, at least on a social level. From my experience, vegeta*ism isn't understood at all and most people make not attempt at trying to understand it.

So very true. The French eat animal protein and a lot of dairy at every meal. Most people don't know what vegan food is. They assume that you will drop dead if you don't get your daily ration of steak. That your bones will crack if you don't have your twice daily ration of cheese and yogurt.I often go to dinner with Chinese, American and German co-workers and I'm always amazed at how easy-going and accommodating they are regarding my food choices. That's something I've never experienced in France (so far).

They aren't as conservative as the French.

Shyvas, what's it's like being vegan in France for you compared to N.America?
I'm not vegan but vegetarian. My food is more or less 90% vegan. I eat a few organic eggs and if I do go out there is no way that I could avoid dairy at other people's homes. I would end up not eating anything or having to bring my own meal.

I will be visiting my family in California this Spring and I will see what it'll be like saying that I'm vegetarian. I'm sure that I'll end up getting all kinds of comments as well as they are meat eaters. I always do the cooking so will also have to cook meat for them. I'm not really forward to the latter.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks rags. and Melanie.

Quote:

From my experience, vegeta*ism isn't understood at all and most people make not attempt at trying to understand it.
I agree with that, it is very difficult on the social level to be vegetarian. It is harder to be vegan...

Which vegan cheese must I taste in "Un Monde Vegan" ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on being veg in France, Shyvas.
The country must seem so backward to you... And I totally agree that the French are totally conservative when it comes to food, even though most of the time they just eat crap...

I know some people are given a hard time by their relatives when they announce their vega*ism so hope it'll be ok with your family this summer.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback on being veg in France, Shyvas.
The country must seem so backward to you... And I totally agree that the French are totally conservative when it comes to food, even though most of the time they just eat crap...

I know some people are given a hard time by their relatives when they announce their vega*ism so hope it'll be ok with your family this summer.
The majority are really very conservative and wouldn't dream of having a meal without bread and than cheeseboard to end the meal.

What infuriates me is all the Foie Gras that is eaten during the Xmas season despite all the campaignes and petitions stating how cruel it is to force fead ducks and geese. I always so uncomfortable watching them eat this 'speciality' especially when people want to force it onto me. When I say that I don't eat it because of ethical reasons they say 'oh just a small bite than' ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most people don't even know what a vegan is so there is very little hope of things changing in the near future.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.