VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been hearing all this crap about soy being bad for men. What is the deal with that? Where did this information come from and how can I refute it. There is no way soy is bad for men because asian men have been eating it for ages!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Majake - Shame on You!!!

Beachgirl - do you have any links where we could go to read about this? (I'd never heard of this before)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
http://getbuf.com/soy.htm

Quote:
Effects of soy in men:

A major concern of men is the possible effects of soy on the male endocrine (hormonal) system._ While there have been few studies addressing the effects of phytoestrogen in males, what conclusions have been drawn are negative._ 3a, 17B- androstanediol glucuronide and androstanediol glucuronide are DHT metabolites and are essential for male secondary sex characteristics as well as the anabolism of skeletal muscle._ Obviously decreases in these hormones mean less lean mass, more stored body fat, and a possible retardation of male secondary sex characteristics.__

In males, levels of 17B-estradiol and testosterone were not affected, but levels of 3a, 17B- androstanediol glucuronide (a metabolite of dihydrotestosterone) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate were decreased by 13% and 14%, respectively, after 2-4 weeks of daily soya ingestion. (8)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
http://vegrd.vegan.com/pages/article.php?id=219

Should Men Worry About Estrogens in Soy?

Posted: January 15, 2001

As an almost vegan, I consume a lot of soy. As a 21-year-old guy, I was wondering if the estrogen in soy that is so good for women might be doing weird abnormal stuff to me like reducing my testosterone levels. If so, how bad is this? Should I be consuming less soymilk and tofu?

Soybeans contain plant forms of estrogen called phytoestrogens (the chemical name is isoflavones). Phytoestrogens have very weak estrogen-like activity but can also act like antiestrogens, reducing the effects of naturally-produced estrogen. This is one reason that soy might possibly be protective against the development of some types of breast cancer which are stimulated by estrogen.

There is no evidence that men who eat moderate amounts of soy experience any feminizing effects, which is what I am guessing you are concerned about. Certainly we dont see these effects in cultures where daily consumption of soy is common.

There is some evidence that vegetarian men have somewhat lower blood testosterone levels than omnivore men. There are several possible explanations for this. Soy consumption could certainly be one of them but the evidence for this is not very clear. The higher fiber intake of vegetarians could also affect testosterone levels. Also dietary fat and obesity increase testosterone levels and vegetarians tend to eat less fat and be slimmer.

But before you bolt for dinner at the nearest steakhouse, lets put this into perspective. There is no evidence that vegetarian men have testosterone levels that are too low. There is a range of what is normal and as long as you are in that range, there is no advantage to being at the higher end of the range. In fact, being at the lower end of the normal range could have benefits. For example, lower testosterone levels are associated with reduced risk for prostate cancer in some studies. And, not surprisingly, there is evidence that consuming soy reduces risk for prostate cancer. This compares to the situation in women. Evidence suggests that vegetarian women have lower estrogen levelsperhaps for the same reasons noted above for testosterone. And this might help to protect against breast cancer.

Because the average American is a meat-eater, we have a tendency to base our ideas of what is normal or optimal based on what occurs in meat-eaters. Of course, we know that for many things this is not true. For example, "normal" cholesterol levelsthe levels typically seen in meat eatersare too high for good health. The situation for testosterone may be similar. Judging these levels based on those that occur in people eating an unhealthy diet doesnt make sense.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I've always been wary of any study that says "x is bad for y" (fill in whatever for x and y).

I live in the middle of nowhere, where hunting season is an excused absence from school without proof, yet an injury requiring being taken out of school by ambulance requires a doctors note as proof you didn't "fake it".

But back to a point: at the school they had SOY icecream, SOY burgers (well, some meat mixed in, but 80%+ soy; you know the grey beef that everyone thought was rotten?), SOY in breads, etc. Likewise at the stores for adults; I feel sorry for anyone allergic to soy, they'd have a harder time eating than any of the veg*n offshoots.

Point being that throughout a child's development, they have soy in bread, meat, etc. If soy really did have that big of an impact, I'm sure there'd be a lot of sterile men in this and last generation, or everyone would be gender neutral in apperance. Everyone gets more soy then they even realize I'm sure (except for the label readers).

As far as testosterone levels, I've seen studies that say the more you have, the worse off you are, and potentially more aggressive. But that was done by people trying to prove it, so who knows.

As a note though I've seen that soy's bad for kids, and men, and women, and babies, and the elderly... I'm beginning to think all the "studies" are done by the meat industry.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Considering China has over billion people living there, I don't think their penis size is holding them back (if that is even true).

Oh, and the FDA recommends eating 25 g of soy protein per day.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I saw on "The Sex Files" that it is true that Asian men, on average, have smaller penises than caucasians, and that black men do in fact have the largest average penis size. This was based on actual studies done over many years.

I don't think it's due to soy...........................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts