VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

i feel great. i eat a lot. im happy. i never get blood sugar drops. my skin is glowing . my hair is shiny.

SO..

does a 'healthy' bmi really matter for someone with a small frame??

ive got a bit of muscle from walking, around my legs but thats it, and ive always had a small build. i got weighed etc today for a best buds physio class.

i currently weigh 45.5 kilos and im about 164 tall i think,

i don't have to gain if i feel great and eat right?

im not in the 'dangerously low' zone now so i can stop stressing? true?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
What do your parents/doctor/therapist say?

Given your past experiences, I would highly doubt your ability to accurately judge what a good weight is for yourself.

I don't think you should "stress" necessarily, but I think you may have to purposely think about food/eating for some while yet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
FALSE

sorry but you aren't quite 'out of the water' so to speak yet

someone who is even slightly underweight is more unhealthy than someone who is slightly overweight

strange but true

i'd keep aiming for that healthy bmi

look after yourself

you're seeing the benefits of not being 'dangerously' low in weight, sure, and that's great

but there are many more benefits - believe it or not
in being a healthy bmi.

don't stop yet!

its gonna get even better if you persevere just a liiittle bit longer

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think you would really have to be told that by your doctor/therapists, mine said I was healthy right at the line of underweight/normal weight because of my frame and activity level, and it really seems like my body has adapted that weight well (aka no matter what I do it doesn't change!! haha).. but if you are still underweight it's probably a good idea to see what your doctor thinks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
just to say that being on the borderline between healthy and underweight is different to being actually in the underweight catagory.

to be even an 18 bmi [and in the uk that's still considered underweight as the range of healthy is supposed to be 18.5 - 24.5 i think] someone who is 164cms tall would need to be at least 49kgs which is a bit more than 45.5kgs....

obviously everyone's bodies are different but the bmi guidelines are there for a reason....

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the input. i guess it makes sense. i just feel so great, you know? and i eat so healthily! great amounts of natural wholefoods etc and these days even a muffin or two!! but today i realised it is actually a problem still, for several reasons. not weight related. and now i dont know what im doing. sigh.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
btw...I'm glad to hear that you're feeling good.
You'll get there someday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BMI isn't the only measure of health, though it is important. Are you getting your periods at this weight? Again, that isn't the only way to measure health, but is important. You will probably find that at a healthier weight (ie, BMI 18+) your ED mindset will improve, your body image will improve and you will feel much better mentally and physically. If you have been underweight for a long time you may not notice many of the effects as they become 'normal', but I think you'd be suprised at the difference you may feel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know, I said "if she is still underweight" that she should get her doctor's opinion...but I did want to give her some hope because when I was recovering I was worried that I would have to be at or above the "ideal weight" for my height, which probably isn't actually ideal for my body.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nori roll
thank you so much

things were shocking tonight, but have made a few decisions, actually.
things should be good from here.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Um, now, you can't just make a post like that and leave everyone hanging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.