VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a book the other day that caught my attention. It's called Eat Right 4 Your Type. It attests that the diet you'd be most healthy on depends on your blood type. Apparently, somebody with type A blood should become at least a vegetarian and preferably vegan, to be most healthy. However, it also says that people with type O are best off eating red meat

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Anybody know if this guy is a quack? It seems odd to me because the most prevalent blood type is O by far, our society consumes ghastly amounts of red meat (even for omnis), and we're definitely not the healthiest bunch of people in the world.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I went through his whole series about 2 months ago. I really tried all that was written. I even called his office, but when the person who answered told me that I would eventually get sick if I remained Vegan (I'm type 0), and after I read Dr. Weil's opinion, I decided that it was interesting reading and an interesting theory, but just a theory. Period.

I have been Vegan for 3 months. I went Vegan cold turkey. I was eating tons of meat and dairy one day, and none the next.

My cholesterol, which was always around 200-220, and which is a problem in my family, has dropped 60 points to 157. I have always had terrible HDL/ LDL and for the first time in my life, my HDL is on target. My LDL is a little high, but I usually work out all of the time, and I twisted my ankle and injured my achilles 3 months ago, and haven't been able to do any working out.

I believe that I am healthier.

I tried to remain Vegan and to cut out certain foods that the ER4YT diet claimed were not good for type O's, but that made my food choices impossible (no wheat, no vinegar, no chickpeas, etc.).

I think that it isn't really valid, and I read all 3 books. But thats just MHO. Here is what Dr. Weil had to say:

http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cd...51-pt=Question

I find Dr. Weil to be one of the most open minded, informed, and informative health websites around. I have yet to find someone who has anything really bad to say about him, and I tend to put my faith in much of what he says.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yeah, I used to work in a bookstore and when the first one came out it sold heaps, I haven't read it though and don't know my blood type

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
I should market my own diet book.....I could use some cash
If you want it to sell you better made sure it isn't one of those boring diet books. You know, like the ones that are actually factual.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I don't even know my blood type. But Ik now the right way to eat isn't base don my blod type. The right way to eat is determined by what I want to eat and whether I can get to it within 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
One of the ladies I worked with at the nfs swore by it. She thought it was the best diet ever and highly promoted it to customers. I remember one customer that was doing it that lost a significant amount of weight.

There were also a few customers that were interested in vegetarianism, but after reading the book were convinced that they couldn't be because it would be unhealthy for their blood type. It annoyed me tremendously.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
personally, i liked the book and found it very informative. IN ayurvedic science, blood type (not called that in ayurveda) has an impact on the sort of diet one eats, as well as body type and a number of other factors. OF course, most ayurvedic diets are vegetarian and vegan diets, although meat can be used for certain healing practices when needed.

anyway, i find this book to have some truth to it, some interesting information as well. but, i don't think it should be taken absolutely literally. What i got out of it when i read it is similar information that i got from ayurveda: this body type thrives on a diet that has more veggies and fruits (raw). this body type likes to have more protien from fattier sources, and cooked veggies (ie, nuts and seeds and cooked veggies). This body type does better with more protien and complex carbs (ie, tofu and taro might make a good meal). this body type does better with more protien and simple carbs (ie edemame and raw veggies).

So, even the Eating Right 4 Your Type book has something to offer. It doesn't say that you *have* to eat red meat in order to be healthy as a type O. But it does suggest certain macro-nutrient amounts and micronutrient spectrums. I think this is an important factor--and worth checking out. So, red meat is the easy source of X, Y, and Z. But that doesn't mean it's the only source.

When i read it, or any nutritional information, i look for the elements that they're talking about--the theory behind it--not necessarily the food suggestions they give. For instance, i was reading in a health magazine about the importance of Omega 3 fatty acids and their prevention of some disease or disorder--they went on and on and on and on about fish. But, eating fish to get these nutrients (probably an easier source than fish anyway) is completely unnecessary. So, i found other sources.

make sense?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
My ex is type O, and when I told her I'd become vegan, she mentioned that she used this book to claim she HAD to eat meat. *shrugs* She's my ex, so it wasn't worth arguing about. I'm A+, so I'd only play into her argument anyway.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Is this any crazier than finding out what "Season" you are so you buy the right color clothes and make-up? Does anyone remember that crap? And the lady who invented it turned out to be a different season than she was telling people for years, and quit the "Season" thing in shame.

I was diagnosed as a "Summer".

·
Banned
261 Posts
This is crazy. I've heard of it before and I don't know what that giuy was sniffing when he invented the concept for that book, but it had to be something mighty strong.

I believe what Dr. Weil said about him. Dr. Weil's a smart guy, even though I hear he doesn't like my beloved tahini.

Cassie

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Im O something,,,and ive always been told to eat tons of meat,,, ha... bastards I am allergic to most of it! I feel the best I ever have since going vegan....

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand yet another great post by Zoebird!
(It's a shame that it seems many people don't read your posts.)

I'm O- and vegan for 3 years.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Yeah, I'm a universal donor, and if y'all're nice to me, I'll give you a deal if you ever get into trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts