VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm Hypoglycemic which means if i don't eat enough, often enough or the right things my blood sugar drops causing me to go in to an "attack". My hands shake get, I dizzy and can black out or pass out completely. So what i wanted to know any tips about keeping a good amount of protein in my diet. I just started back up again after two years of being off the wagon. Today is day three of no meat and I'm already feeling the effects of an unbalanced diet and if i don't get it under control i could have a major attack in the next few days.
I already had to break down and eat meat once to stop a attack and i would rather not do it again. Last time i went veggie i was living in the dorms and had it easy my school had many options to modify to become vegetarian so it was easy. Now that i'm on my own i'm having trouble coming up with things to make and recipes just seam to be lacking in all food groups.
So any helpful hints recipes or websites would be great. Oh and if any one suggests a dietation that's a problem i cant go see a doctor there to expensive. And also please keep in mind i live in middle of no where mid west were options at the store suck.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
you could try keeping a clif bar with you or a larabar.
i don't understand how this is more of an issue now, didn't you have to have snacks with you before you became veggie? what did you bring with you?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well one thing is i have no idea how to cook veggie things. ok so like steamed veggies and basics. its more of a problem now because i dont know how to pair things up or lack the ability to be able to cook it. i do snack i have to no matter what eat 6 times a day due to my blood sugar problem. i have a problem blanceing everything and dont know how to fix it.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Cooking vegetarian is easy to learn, and you'll save money, eat healthier, and impress the ladies (or gentlemen)
There are several good books out there written for new young vegetarians with easy, quick, and cheap recipes. Carol Raymond's 'Students Go Vegan' is one, or The 30-Minute Vegan by Reinfeld. Tons of stuff on line too of course, including on this site in the food threads. Have fun, enjoy the journey.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Protein doesn't affect your blood glucose levels, carbohydrates do. If your blood glucose level is 4.0, and you eat a lunch of all meat, it will still be 4.0 afterwards. What you need to be including is slow release carbohydrates like wholegrain rice, pasta and bread, bananas, potatoes and so on. If you feel like an attack is coming you need fast release sugars -the best thing is a sugary drink like fruit juice, as long as it doesn't say "diet" or "no added sugar". This will raise your glucose levels within minutes. If you can't find a sugary drink then have a high sugar snack like chocolate or candy, although this will take a little longer to make you feel better. Meat, fish, eggs and most dairy (unless it is something with a lot of sugar like milkshake) will not affect your blood sugar levels. Nor will vegetables or nuts unless you eat huge amounts. Fruits, sugar and starchy carbs are what you need to worry about.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
i also have hypoglycemia and maintain it very well on a vegan diet (soy free too)

you do need protein but you also need complex carbs too.

nuts are the easiest and fasted way to get protein, i always have a little bag of almonds or other kind of nut in my purse, back pack and to snack on at home.

nut butters (w no added sugar) are also easy to eat, just spread some on a piece of celery or make some toast.
nut butters can also be added to smoothies.

brown rice. sometimes i just eat a bowl of brown rice with some green peas mixed in. this is easy, cheap and very nutritious.

just these 3 things can help you manage your blood sugar everyday. a rice cooker is a good thing to have, just stick the rice and water in and don't even have to think about it as it cooks

something i have found for myself is potatoes. it seems weird and doesn't make sense at first but a potato with the skins is very helpful to me for blood sugar. i eat potatoes almost everyday (w skins), scrub, pop into microwave (6 min) or into oven (60 min). top with salsa or hummus, yummy. the skins are very important.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Thankfully i have been going good its been almost a week and no problems. I'm planning on making some wheat bread this weekend( i think home made bread is a bit better than store none of the extra crap they put in it) tonight will be the task of cooking for me and my nonveggie eating boy friend. But the real test for everything is Saturday when i work outside at a wildlife refuge.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

i also have hypoglycemia and maintain it very well on a vegan diet (soy free too)

you do need protein but you also need complex carbs too.

nuts are the easiest and fasted way to get protein, i always have a little bag of almonds or other kind of nut in my purse, back pack and to snack on at home.

nut butters (w no added sugar) are also easy to eat, just spread some on a piece of celery or make some toast.
nut butters can also be added to smoothies.

brown rice. sometimes i just eat a bowl of brown rice with some green peas mixed in. this is easy, cheap and very nutritious.

just these 3 things can help you manage your blood sugar everyday. a rice cooker is a good thing to have, just stick the rice and water in and don't even have to think about it as it cooks

something i have found for myself is potatoes. it seems weird and doesn't make sense at first but a potato with the skins is very helpful to me for blood sugar. i eat potatoes almost everyday (w skins), scrub, pop into microwave (6 min) or into oven (60 min). top with salsa or hummus, yummy. the skins are very important.
Brown rice with peas sounds really good right now.

I also eat a lot of almonds and other nuts. I prefer raw and unsalted anymore. I eat almonds with OJ before taking the dogs out and I don't need to carry cookies with me anymore.

Again I don't even know that I'm hypoglycemic or if it's just poor planning some days.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve18 View Post

people who suffer from this problem of high sugar should regularly go for blood check.
They should always avoid eating food items which contains carbohydrates.
Hypoglycemia is LOW blood sugar, hyperglycemia is high blood sugar. Big difference.
Carbs dont need to be avoided for either issue, just certain ones like white bread.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am hypoglycemic and L/O veggie. I actually found this out after I was already a veggie, but I digress. It isn't very hard to maintain your blood sugar on a veggie diet. Meat is NOT an important blood sugar regulator. What you need is many small, frequent snacks (Think crackers, fruit and nuts). On the off chance your blood sugar starts to fall, bring in your bag or pocket a sweet to suck on, or have a juice pack, or even a chocolate bar on hand to bring blood sugar up quickly. I'm not sure why you were advised to eat meat for a hypoglycemic attack, as that is not a great way to resolve it...

A good veggie meal for someone who isn't hypoglycemic is essentially the same as for someone who is...but the hypoglycemic person would have to eat smaller, more frequent meals. I can manage my blood sugar by eating three meals a day, combined with three snacks. When I am planning well for my snacks, I tend to have some fruit or veggie with a couple crackers or a piece of toast. I think possibly the problem isn't with the veggie diet, but looking outside your normal go-to foods to find something that would suit a veggie diet. Remember, you can not just remove meat from the diet, you have to eat something else in the place of meat, especially if you want to keep your sugars up where they need to be.

The first year I found out I was HG, I passed out and had A LOT of hypoglycemic attacks, and I could frequently feel my blood sugar dropping at work because I wasn't getting regular enough breaks at that workplace. In short, I was really sick because I was worrying way too much, and I wasn't able to pick up on the natural cues my body was giving me when my blood sugar was starting to fall(hungry feeling, tired, head in the clouds) and I didn't pick up on the issues until I was in a very serious state (Dizzy, shaking, inability to form coherent thoughts, inability to articulate, weakness, and loss of consciousness). Being able to pick up on the very mild signals I mentioned earlier, I can have a snack or a drink of juice before things get out of hand. In the past two years I haven't felt my blood sugar dip very low more than twice(happened suddenly) and both of those times I was able to get something to eat before passing out(which before would have been an accomplishment)! So: listen to your body, don't let yourself get to the point that you NEED to eat anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its been two weeks now and i havent had any problems. Just the few days when i started and now i'm pretty much fine. I think it was the adjustment. I was just very worried about attacks as i work outside with animals and there lives are in my hands. last thing i want is to black out or pass out with a dog outside and they run off and get hit by a car. I have had problems since i was eight so i know how to deal with them but the adjustment was the thing. Now that i know a bit more about what i need to make for each meal its better. the first few days were horrible i just couldnt do anything right and no matter what i did my sugar kept dropping. But now all good am glad to know that am not the only person going though this blood sugar mess thanks for some helpful advice.

Oh do you have any good pick me up snacks that work for you. I usally use nuts and some fruit. Or juice and peanut butter on bread. But iam looking for something differnt after 16 years of eatting that every time i feel a bit off.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everblue1037 View Post

Oh do you have any good pick me up snacks that work for you. I usally use nuts and some fruit. Or juice and peanut butter on bread. But iam looking for something differnt after 16 years of eatting that every time i feel a bit off.
Great news!

for energy i snack on avocado and crackers, avocado peanut sushi hand rolls with brown rice, veggie smoothies, hummus and pita or veggies

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too get this problem. It comes on after heavy exercise, walking, or standing up after sitting awhile. I have mild (non-medicated) diabetes type 2, and my doctor wrongly diagnosed it as orthostatic hypotension, then vaso-vagal syncope,
or dysautonomia, and was loath to admit I could have hypoglycaemia. But I found that carrying a tiny phial of dextrose and taking about a quarter teaspoonful, is an instant temporary cure. Protein or any foods have some, but not much, effect, as does fluids - though I am more prone if too hot (heat syncope) or dehydrated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This thread was helpful. Thanks luvourmother. I have heard so many conflicting arguments for reactive hypoglycemia. Some say too much protein is bad and to limit it. Some say too much dairy is bad or that it is good. Some say even whole wheat bread is bad and can cause your sugar to rise and quickly drop an hour or two later. I heard you say potatoes help you, and I have heard that potatoes are no good for hypo. White rice, bread, sugar and potatoes are to be no-no's on the hypoglycemia list. Someone stated fruit juice, yet I heard it is only good for a quick fix right before you were ready to eat something with it, because I know when I drink juice without anything my sugar raises and drops within a matter of 20 minutes or so and then I get shakey and anxious and a racing heart, confused, all that. I hate it! I am allergic to bananas, so I can't eat those either. I heard they were also bad anyway. I hate this conflicting stuff! Thats probably why I am in the same boat as everblue. Hypoglycemia sucks!

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Potatoes eaten with the skins allows the sugar to slow release, avoiding an insulin spike. Most people don't eat potatoes with skin ( don't know why?) so potatoes are usually lumped into the white bread category, when they are nothing like other white foods to be avoided bc of nutrients, protein and fiber. I would not recommend hypErglymics eat potatoes, but it's a pretty good solution for hypoglycemia. Of course not deep fried French fries, hash browns and tater tots, those won't work. But a steamed or baked potato w healthy toppings like salsa, hummus, or veggies is good.

You need to find out what works best for you. It's helpful to keep a food journal where u write down what u ate, the time, the amounts and ow u feel after the meal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts