VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, forget Meet Your Meat. If you want to shame someone into vegetarianism show them this documentary.

It was made in the 60's I think by George Franju and shows cows, sheep and horses being slaughtered. The murder is shown in close-up and in one scene we see the terrified close-up of a calf as he is beheaded. Most horrifically, he remains alive even though his head is barely hanging on to his neck, his body thrashing around. Anyone who watches this and then orders a hamburger barely qualifies as a human being.

It is available as a bonus on the Eyes Without A Face Criterion DVD. You Tube has clips as well. Watch at your own peril or watch and feel good about not supporting a barbaric death industry.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The problem with showing omni's a video that was made in the 60's is they're going to reply by saying something like "well that was 40+ years ago, we don't treat animals that badly anymore"

I think it's usually best to try and stick to more recent videos like MYM.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The thing is, slaughterhouse conditions have only worsened since then. Of course, you are right, they'll deny, deny, deny. Or say that the video is biased. Because everyone knows that it's biased to show the true conditions of animals, right?

I've tried to show my family MYM. They don't want anything to do with it. :sigh:

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Another problem is that if there are no deeper ethics behind it, simple shock rarely produces lasting changes. It's too easy to fall back into old habits when societal pressure and mental denial kicks in.

Case in point: My mother has a co-worker who, after seeing a graphic HBO special in the mid-90's, was so disgusted she swore off all meat. This lasted a couple of months at best. Today this woman not only eats meat daily, she also owns a fur coat and brags about her "classy" leather and sheepskin furniture.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fascinating - I've been looking for this material for a while.

These are clips from George's Franju's Le Sang des Betes (1947) which was released in the UK as 'The Slaughterhouse' in 1949. The footage is from slaughterhouse in the La Vilette and Vaugirard regions of France. The original lasts 20 + minutes.

In an interview, 1985 Franju said ... "it was thought too violent and was pulled .. and then it was shown by mistake at the venice festival, during a childrens matinee. apparently it hasd them all in stitches . you should have heard them, they roared with laughter"

Search Le Sang des Betes on google for more info (in English, mostly, although, The Blood of/from the Beasts is a translation of Franju's title, but not the title it was released under)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They were laughing? If I had saw this as a kid I would have been traumitized. Maybe they just couldn't understand what was going on.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts