VeggieBoards banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to see if anyone else has experienced bloating after eating. I've always had a bit of a problem with bloating, but I think it's worse since I went vegan - which was about 6 months ago. I thought it might get better, but it hasn't.<br><br><br><br>
I'd love some input and/or natural remedies!<br><br>
- Rhiannon

·
Registered
0 Posts
um....yah if you eat too much your stomach bloats..i dunno you are probably eating things full of gas...i guess eat less of those....and fewer carbonated drinks....drink lots of water i think. just dont eat until you are so full because that will make it much worse

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Rhiannon,<br><br>
Beans and complex carbs can be hard to digest and I think there is an adjustment period your body goes through when you become vegan. Your system should adapt and the bloating should decrease. Digestive enzymes help too. I have been taking<br><br>
something called "Peaceful Digestion" by Veglife. Also, ginger and fennel seed help with gas. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jen18 - thanks for the advice, but I don't stuff myself or drink carbonated beverages-really only water. I'm petite, very active and health conscious.<br><br><br><br>
irongrl - thanks for the heads up on digestive enzymes and stuff! I'll add more ginger and some fennel to my diet : )<br><br><br><br>
Rhiannon

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
faery girl ~<br><br><br><br>
I've been veg for almost 2 years and the bloating never stopped like my books said it would.<br><br><br><br>
I figured out that some foods make me bloat, and TVP or soy crumbles (like Ground Round) are the absolute worst.<br><br><br><br>
So, it might be in your best interest to stay away from some soy products to see if it helps. Tempeh and seitan should be okay, but spend maybe two weeks avoiding TVP, soy protein, and even tofu to see if the bloating goes down.<br><br><br><br>
good luck!<br><br><br><br>
amy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info Amy! it's much appreciated. wow - it's gonna be hard to avoid soy...I do eat a lot of it...I bet that is my problem! good luck to you too!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I get really bloated if I eat a fairly large meal after not eating anything for several hours. If I graze throughout the day, I'm fine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi muppetcow - I actually graze throughout the day too....small meals with snacks inbetween...almost anything that I eat makes me feel bloated.<br><br><br><br>
my family has a history of tummy probs, so I'm wondering if I'm just predisposed to bloating.<br><br><br><br>
Thanks for the heads up on soy, everyone! I'll try to cut it down. It's hard cuz I do eat a lot of it. soy milk in my coffee...cultured soy every day etc.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I hope that helps you pinpoint the problem.<br><br>
I read about TVP in one of Dr. Weil's books and how it can cause problems. He listed TVP, soy grits, tofu, and... one more thing that i can't recall... as a common cause of gas & bloating.<br><br><br><br>
However, I don't seem to have a problem with soy milk, soy creamer, and tempeh. So not all hope is lost! I don't eat soy yogurt (too 'phlegmy' for me) so I can't help ya there... but don't give up soy all together - just start out with eliminating TVP and soy protein crumbles in your diet, and cut down on the tofu. Then see how it goes. TVP is the absolute worst for me, so I try never to buy it.<br><br><br><br>
There is something about tempeh being partially fermented or something like that that allows your body to more easily digest it. Hence, no bloating.<br><br><br><br>
Anyway, I hope this helps you find out what's going on! Bloating SUCKS!<br><br><br><br>
amy

·
Registered
507 Posts
Soy makes me bloated too, so I avoid it now, and there's no need for it if you have other good sources of protein and calcium.<br><br><br><br>
I also realized that when I eat fatty foods (nuts, seeds, and oils in general) BEFORE I eat high-carbohydrate foods (such as fruits, grains, some veggies), then I get incredibly bloated. I don't know why exactly that is, but I would assume it has something to do with fat's ability to slow down digestion, so the carbohydrate WOULD digest fast but the fat already slowed it down and now it's all sitting in my tummy (and I swear, sometimes it sits there for 24 hours or more!!). Once my tummy feels empty again I'm fine, I'm not constipated or anything, it just sometimes seems to all pile up in my stomach without moving forward.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aw darnit. I just loooooove tofu so much! and my cultured soy...<br><br>
but yep, bloating DOES suck! bah!<br><br><br><br>
I think I'm going to try eliminating things here and there, and then add one thing back into my diet to try to pinpoint the prob.<br><br><br><br>
but I will try adding more giner and possibly fennel to my diet to see if that helps first - cuz like I said, I'm a soy junkie! unfortunately I'm not much of a tempeh fan...and my husband hates it. Perhaps I just haven't used it in good recipes.<br><br><br><br>
thanks all!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Try taking a tablespoon or two of vinegar in the morning. It's supposed to cut down on [whispers] gas.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm...does it matter what kind of vinegar? the thought of drinking white vinegar makes me wanna puke. I wonder if rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar would be ok.<br><br><br><br>
I'm willing to try (almost) anything at this point!!<br><br>

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
If anyone buys into those food combining fads... Some things I've read seem to hold true. Like not eating fresh fruit with meals. If I eat fruit + food, I bloat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts