VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can being a vegan/consuming a lot of plant foods cause your lower abdomen to be bloated? or could this be caused by a lack of protein??

·
Registered
84 Posts
It could be excess gas from veggies or beans/ legumes!

Are you consuming allot of beans? If so try to soak them, I let them soak overnight in warm water to release any excess air inside of them, or you can try to intake more raw veggies like carrots and fresh leafy green veggies to counter balance the affect.

I hope this helped!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
It's most likely a higher intake of fibre. I find that if I eat a lot of grains, such as rice or quinoa, (sorta grain) then I feel all weird in my abdomen. not really bloating, but I just feel odd.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
There's no reason why protein deficiency would manifest itself in bloating, if you are otherwise consuming enough food.

Anytime you up your fiber intake significantly you'll experience bloat. It will subside after a bit once your body because used to the new fiber load you'll be consuming. It's a positive adjustment thing really. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Some soy foods do it too.

Are you eating a lot of meat analogues? Or TVP? Or foods with soy flour, soy grits, or textured soy protein?

Those give me such horrible cramps & bloating I really have to watch my intake.

amy

·
Registered
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Quizeen

There's no reason why protein deficiency would manifest itself in bloating, if you are otherwise consuming enough food.

I heard that's called protein deficiency though, and a bloated belly (not really bloated, but retaining water) is called ascites. That's what kids in third world countries get when they suffer protein deficiency. But as far as I remember you have to be REALLY protein deficient to get that. I'd say it's air.. do you chew gum?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
it's, y'know, [whispers] gas. Cook your beans with a tbs. of vinegar. It'll help get the [whispers] gas [normal tone] out. I find when I eat more TVP than beans, that I'm not so...extended.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I don't understand it, just go with it. My mother told me about it and her mother told her about it, and so on. Just one of those things I guess.

I also had a friend that was veggie and every day took 2 tbsp of vinegar in the morning. He said it kept him from getting [whispers] gas. It works, I've tried it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hedgefrog

haha chew gum?? uhh no..would that affect it?
Yep, it can. You swallow a whole lot of air when you chew gum and I guess that can make you pretty bloated (I stopped chewing gum for that reason). So do carbonated beverages.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts