VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that I can cut back on packaging, and also avoid soggy bread, is it a smart thing to take ingredients of a sandwich filling and process them all together? That way, once I am at school I can just slap it onto something bready or spread on crackers. Im talking "classic deli sandwich guts" though, not something like hummus or PBJ....

something including these ingredients:

2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened

6 slices cucumber

2 tablespoons alfalfa sprouts

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 teaspoon red wine vinegar

1 tomato, sliced

1 leaf lettuce

1 ounce pepperoncini, sliced

1/2 avocado, mashed

and possibly.....american cheese? black olives? tomato? onion? mushrooms?

I dont know much about foods, but I dont think it is smart to mix cream cheese with vinegar? But can it be done safely? And will the avocado turn brown? Or is there something acidic (acetic?) that will counteract that? Could I just add a bit of lemon? Can I at least mix a few of the things so that I dont have to sit there and prepare a whole sandwich at the cafeteria table in the 25 minutes I have for lunch. Help!! Thanks!!

Sort of on a different note..... yesterday at Tom Thumb I saw avocados (minus the pits and the skin) sealed tightly in bags. My two friends went "eeeeeeewwwww" while I went "oooooohhh!" Have you guys tried this? And is it really a smart alternative? Avocados are so expensive here in Texas [or at least in my supermarkets]. What is "avocado season" and how much do you guys normally pay for them? I looooove them.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Let me know how that turns out (lemon will keep avocados from turning color).

I do something kind of similar to what you want to do - I usually make a multi-ingredient salad and have a roll with it.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Lemon juice will help keep an avacado from turning. So will lime juice. Lime juice is better, IMO. Another thing that helps is to store sliced/diced/mashed avacado with the pit (strange, but it seems to work).

With the ingredients you've listed, you could take sandwiches several ways. One of them could be where you take the avacado, mash it up with a tad of lime/lemon juice and add diced tomato, diced mushrooms, diced/sliced olives, and maybe the pepperchini, onion and cucumber. Mix and use it as a dip/spread for bread or crackers.

Or, do like dvmarie and make a multi-ingredient salad with olive oil/vinegar dressing and stuff it into a roll or bread just before chowing.

Or, take the cream cheese and soften it up. Mix cucumber, onion, tomatoes (deseeded), olives, mushrooms and whatever else you'd like into it. Spread it on bread at lunch and chow down!

If you want "classic deli sandwich guts", stack tomatoes (deseeded), onion, cucumber, mushrooms, sprouts, lettuce, and whatever else you want and wrap in plastic film. Then, wrap again in foil (the plastic holds everything together, and the foil keeps the plastic from coming off and leaking stuff everywhere). Put this in the same box as your sandwich bread to keep stuff from getting squished.

I wouldn't want to mix cream cheese with avacados because that combo sounds pretty gross to me and I think putting american (or any other) cheese in any of the sandwiches would make the mix need refrigeration (I could be wrong on that).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts