VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I went to the co-op a few days ago and bought three packages of Tempeh. I was excited after having heard so many good things.

They came frozen, but the co-op is three hours from our house so they did get rather thawed. Two went back in the freezer. I opened one. I right away didn't like the smell but it's *supposed* to smell like that, right? Because it's *fermented* soybeans.

First I made Tempeh Bacon from Vegan with a Vengence. The marinade smelled delicious, but the tempeh still smelled a little off. I fried it up, and tried a little piece plain: inedible. Tasted moldy. I ate a few strips on a BLT because otherwise it felt like a waste.

Then for dinner, I tried making sweet and sour tempeh. The sauce, again, was delicious... but the tempeh still tasted bad.

So... what did I do so wrong? Is tempeh just supposed to taste moldy? Was it normal that there were bits that were kind of blue-ish? Or am I just not cut out for eating Tempeh?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
if its blue, its still okay to eat...assuming it is in its package. but it means it is more fermented, and thus a stronger, "more-acquired" taste.

if you slice it thinner, you may notice the taste less I've made a general tso flavored tempeh... and it was soooo good... the sauce usually is too sweet for me, but was great w/ the "tangy" tempeh.

also, maybe you could mix up/crumble some of the "blue" tempeh together w/ some fresher tempeh in a dish.

and maybe soaking in a marinade would help too.

i dunno.

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
mmmm... tempeh

i'd say try a marinade... it's very good in a nut butter marinade

i've eaten the stuff after it's sat in my fridge for months...

mmmm...

try another kind perhaps, I prefer the 7 grain to the plain soy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Steaming tempeh for 10 minutes before using it usually improves it in my opinion. I use a collander in a larger pot with a lid with a half inch of water. I usually do this before I marinate the tempeh and am happier with the result than when I don't. Good Luck! Ric

·
Registered
489 Posts
When you say kinda bluish do you mean moldy looking bits round the edges?

I've only tried tempeh once before and I hated it, it smelled, it tasted aweful.

I have checked out all the other packages in the stores and they all have the moldy edges. Is the mold supposed to be there?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have tried a gazillion tempeh recipes, all the sauces, marinades, etc ........ never cared for any of them. Fry up a piece of tempeh in a skillet with some cooking oil, get it nice and crisp, melt some cheese on top if you like, serve it on a sandwich with BBQ sauce or mustard and ketchup ........ mmmmm!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I am not a big fan of tempeh. Or a fan at all. I've found ways to make it palatable though.

First... yes the kind I buy has bluish/blackish "discolored" bits, which the package says to expect and that it's fine.

I've found garden veggie tempeh is tastier than just straight up tempeh.

DEFINITELY!! poach it before you cook with it. Just simmer it (I usually cube it) in water for 10 minutes. Mellows out the taste a bit.

Also, I find smaller bits in things are more appetizing. I've made very edable rice/pasta/couscous dishes with small bites of tempeh. If I find myself with a bit of time this week I'll post one I like for you. (Sorry, grad student, life gets out of hand sometimes!)

Finally, eat Seitan. It's yummier.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Tempeh is not nasty - it's all in the preparation.

My favorite? Deep fried.

It's wonderful steamed and them made into a sandwich salad filling (with mayo, celery, pepper, mustard, and almonds).

I also like it swimming in BBQ sauce and baked in the oven.

But yeah - you need to steam it for about 10 minutes before you do anything with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahkay, thanks. I'll try the steaming with the other two packages (which are flavoured: 7 grain and Herb, the one I tried before was just straight soy.) and hopefully it'll come out a little better. Thanks everyone ^^ And maybe Tempeh just isn't for me. (No huge loss, I agree, Seitan rocks!)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Make your own
!!!!!!!

http://www.tempeh.info/maketempeh/ho...ke-tempeh.html

I hated it at first taste. But I kept eating it. At least I got addicted to good stuff, and not cigarettes. We first made it in Indonesian class and we got yelled at by everyone else. They all thought it smelt sick. I thought it smelt great. If you have it with yellow rice and soy sauce it tastes unveliveable. Just smother it in sauce, and eventually you will end up liking it.

Did you know, poor people in Indonesia use tempe as a substitute for meat because they can't afford meat? This means that being a vegetarian can also help you to save on your shopping bill! Awesum!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like Tempeh fried in a small amount of Earth Balance, with carrots, celery, and onion seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Then I put it on some bread with ketchup and it tastes like a meatloaf sandwich.

·
Registered
680 Posts
As one of my favorite people in the world would say, Tempeh is the yuck!

Not only does it taste of shoe, but it often has an icky texture.

You know how they make sausage by putting it in that tube so it takes shape? I think they do that with Tempeh, but they put throw-up in the tube until it hardens and becomes Tempeh. (crazy C1 theory #872)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts