·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, works for me.

Anyway, here's what its about:

Blame It On Babe! A Parents guide to

Vegetarian Kids

Vegetarianism is becoming a big trend amongst kids today; particularly girls aged 8 to 14. How can you respect your childs wishes, whilst ensuring that their growing bodies receive all the nutrients they need? This session is designed to help parents understand what is underpinning the current trend to vegetarian eating, how to plan meals to include the correct foods, explore the scope of a vegetarian diet and taste some of the range of foods and meat substitutes on offer.

COURSE OUTCOMES

This course will cover:

Introduction to Eating Vegetarian - What it is and

why do it?

The health concerns and myths surrounding

vegetarianism.

What underpins current trend to vegetarian eating?

Healthy Eating Pyramid regular vs vegetarian

How to assess your diet based on the Health Eating

Pyramid

View and taste some samples of foods in the

vegetarian eating plan such as

Soy/Legumes/Dairy/ Cereals/ Meat substitutes.

Understand packaging claims and labels

Planning a healthy vegetarian eating plan for your

child

Some tips for incorporating the needs of your

vegetarian child into meals for the whole family

how to reduce the time and stress of preparing

different meals

Practical advice on menus and meal ideas

Resources/Information sources.

TUTOR PROFILE

Heather Ferguson, Nutritionist Dietitian APD

Heather holds a degree qualification in nutrition and is an

Accredited Practising Dietitian of the Dieticians Association of

Australia. She has worked extensively as a nutritionist and

dietitian for over 20 years. The focus of her work has been

the promotion of health through good nutrition via education

of consumer groups and health professionals, development of

consumer information programs and materials and product

marketing. A commitment to health and wellbeing and a

passion for healthy eating underpins Heathers interest in

promoting a healthy eating pattern for all.

Heathers nutrition experience has been gained from clinical

dietetics and community health to non-government

organizations such as Nutrition Australia and consultancy to

food industry including clients such as the Australian

Ingredient Centre, The Australian Dairy Corporation, Glaxo

Smith Kline, Meiji-MGC Pty Ltd. and National Foods Limited.

VENUE DETAILS

CAE City Centre

253 Flinders Lane Melbourne

SESSION DETAILS

Class Code: DNJ83001

1 session 10-4pm

Sat Aug 16

Class Code: DNJ83002

1 session 10-4pm

Sat Nov 15

FEES

$99

ENQUIRIES

Phone 9652 0622

Email [email protected]

ENROLMENT

Phone 9652 0611

Online www.cae.edu.au

In person or by mail

21 Degraves Street

Melbourne 3000

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
How cool... I feel sorry for my cousin, I found out through my aunt that my teenage cousin wants to become a vegetarian but isn't allowed to until she can buy her own food... she lives in a small town in North Queensland so there wouldn't be much support for her... I have never even met her either!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I was able to get it - wow, it sounds great.

It would be nice if the schools sponsored workshops like this. If I was qualified, I would volunteer to host them myself.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shewolf

How cool... I feel sorry for my cousin, I found out through my aunt that my teenage cousin wants to become a vegetarian but isn't allowed to until she can buy her own food... she lives in a small town in North Queensland so there wouldn't be much support for her... I have never even met her either!
I've met teenage vegetarians when I've gone along to Animal Liberation protests who have trouble being veg*n due to their parents. It pisses me off when they tell me about what they go through. I never turned vegetarian until I was 18 (vegan when I was about 20) so I don't know first-hand how it was, but the way some parents are really friggin' annoys me.

One girl was told that she could be vegetarian if she bought her own food, yet she is in school and her parents won't let her get a job..... friggin' ignorant control freaks.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Parents are a huge problem for kids wanting to go vegetarian. My parents resisted my choice for the first week or so, then left me on my own with vegetarianism, but buying food for me, thinking it was just a phase.

But all the kids who do have trouble because their parents are ill-informed will either end up eating meat unhappily, or going vegetarian without support, which means that they'll probably be junk food veggies, and thus unhealthy.

I just wish more parents were informed, and would support their kids decisions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I knew this one girl that wanted to be veg badly, but couldn't because of her mom. :/

One of the reasons I hesitated in the first place was because I didn't want to get crap, but then I said the hell with it, and I don't really get crap anyway.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Ah, very good idea those folks had. They, of course, do have a few omnivorisms in that section that Chook posted. "Regular vs vegetarian" food pyramid? That's setting yourself up to think that vegetarians are some kind of abnormal freaks. I guess we are, but I don't want to put it that way!

·
Registered
119 Posts
ditto to loki: my parents keep thinking this is gonna wear off, like the time i loved making jewelry out of rolled up magazine strips and everyone came home to find their magazines destroyed. Nuh-uh. Not this time. My dad keeps offering me steak (as a joke or seriously, im not sure) and my mom got out a plate for me when we were celebrating my sisters birthday with cake (non vegan). I think she realized that she could either buy me food or i would live on peanut butter sandwiches for the rest of my life so she went out and got tofu and soy milk and all that stuff and now she even eats with me sometimes. My sisters used to be racist against tofu (?political correctness?) but i made them eat some and they love it now. i should convert them heheheh

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how many parents give their kids a hard time about this. My parents have always been cool about such things, so I guess I was living in my own little happy land for a while

In the U.S. almost everyone, but especially teenagers, have such atrocious diets that you would think parents would literally dance with joy if their kids wanted (pleaded for, in some cases) vegetables, tofu, and whole grain bread. Fools!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Quizeen

In the U.S. almost everyone, but especially teenagers, have such atrocious diets that you would think parents would literally dance with joy if their kids wanted (pleaded for, in some cases) vegetables, tofu, and whole grain bread. Fools!
I agree. Parent's are always whining about the kids that won't eat their veggies but yet, when a kid wants to go vegetarian, they freak out.

I never could understand that.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Wow. This parent's guide thing seems pretty stupid to me. It really emphasizes that vegetarianism is a trend, so why would parents want to take a class and be supportive if the kids are just following a trend? I know that if I was a parent, I wouldn't be super-enthusiastic and involved in my kid following what I thought was a "fad diet." And the kids who are following the trend are the ones least likely to become a vegetarian for life. The "parents class" idea also teaches parents to baby their children. If you decide to become a vegetarian, YOU should be the one planning and preparing most of your meals, not your parents. It would be better if the parents found information about healthy vegetarian diets and meal plans for them and the kid to read.

I agree that most parents would actually be confused and unsupportive of their child's decision to stop eating meat and therefore stop eating most of the meals that the parent prepares for him/her.

The attitude that this thing takes toward vegetarians is like, "Aww, poor little circus-freak-children. Even though our kids are abnormal weirdos, we can still act like we care about their weird eating habits, right?"

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Why is it that parents don't want their kids to be healthy? Why do parents think that a chicken sandwich on white bread is better for them than a pile of vegetables and some beans or tofu?

Vegetarianism is a great idea for a "fad", if you ask me. The more people that do it, the more that will stick with it. The cooler vegetarianism seems to kids the better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
same here, I wish it were not like that.

Quote:
Originally posted by skylark

Ah, very good idea those folks had. They, of course, do have a few omnivorisms in that section that Chook posted. "Regular vs vegetarian" food pyramid? That's setting yourself up to think that vegetarians are some kind of abnormal freaks. I guess we are, but I don't want to put it that way!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Many parents worry that vegetarianism leads to eating disorders. This is quite a worry, and I can understand it. (Although vegetarianism isn't really about eating disorders)

I actually read an article in the newspaper written for parents about what to do if your daughter (You see, us dudes don't go veg - except me because I'm a freaking free love hippy dude!) goes vegetarian. I can't remember what it said exactly, but the article said something like "If she says that she wants to be vegetarian because she wants to lose weight, then you should perhaps worry. However, if you're subjected to a half hour rant on why meat is murder and how killing animals is wrong, then you have little to worry about."

My only concern about this course is that most parents probably wouldn't pay to sign on, especially if they view vegetarianism as a "phase" But it's great to see that there's an understanding of vegetarianism in children and the need to educate parents.

There are a few articles for parents on www.vegetarianteen.com which I would probably recommend to omni families with prospective veggie kids. Check them out if you've got nothing better to do.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A lot of parents are such sheep themselves that they become horribly afraid when their children try new things or branch out in a direction that is different from the "prescribed family line."

Food is so personal to people, much more so than most are aware of. As humans we relate a lot of memory and emotion to food choices, so parents who are less than open-minded and expansive in general usually freak out if their kids appear to be rejecting what they hold dear even with something as seemingly mundane as food.

Parents think tofu's bad?! Wait 'till their kids start rejecting God and country. Heh, heh.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i saw this girl in the super market a few months ago, she must of been about 7 or 8, and she was arguing with her mum about something, then i realised the girl was crying because her mum wouldn't let her be a vegetarian, all the mum kept saying was "we have been through this already and i told u, u can be a vegetarian when you grow up" the girl kept saying she didn't want to eat dead animals, but the mum was liek oh what are you going to eat, it kinda made me sad, and reminded me of my mum when i was younger..... my mum didn't let me be vegetarian untill i was 16 because i was apparently old enough to make my own mind up then..... obviously my mind thought no different 5 years b4 that!!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
My mother suffers from the myth that kids need animal protein etc... because my stepfather was sitting there I kept my mouth shut but it was interesting to sit back and hear what I would have heard if at 13 i had wanted to go veg. I spoke to her about it yesterday and she said she probably would have said the same thing as my aunt, but I disagreed with her. She may have said the same thing but I am incredibly stubborn and if she had told me NO I would have done it anyway... and then she would have given in to inevitability like everything else! LOL But at 13 I was the kid that ate no fruit, vegetables rarely and lots of carb and meat... and lots of junk food like cheese, chocolate and chips... Hearing about that makes me want to get in contact with my cousin! LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts