VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new goal is to eat blackstrap molasses in new ways (yet another good source of iron...). Does anyone have any suggestions? Currently I use it on oatmeal, but I'm trying to think of other ways to integrate it into my diet.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I think there's several threads about this very subject... the only way I can stomach the stuff is in gingerbread cake or cookies. Don't know if that helps.

Lentils, tofu, spinach all have good amounts of iron too.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
ew ew ew (straight from the jar?)

I have to mask it in something sweet, like gingerbread, as well.

((shudder))

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Blackstrap molasses (not molasses in general) is often *very* bitter, not particularly sweet.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Really? I didn't know that. The kind I've had, made by Meridian I think, was like treacle and so very sweet, but maybe a bit thicker.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I get the organic from Trader Joes.

I find that it is really, really yummy if eaten on hot cornbread slathered in Earth Balance. It needs to be the kind of cornbread that has a little sugar in it.

To die for!!!! I like that for breakfast. It's a nice change of pace.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Can't say I've tried these:

MARIA PUCK'S GINGER SPICE COOKIES

Quote:
Granola

2 cups (500 mL) rolled oats

½ cup (125 mL) wheat germ

½ cup (125 mL) blackstrap molasses

1 tsp.(5 mL) cinnamon

¼ tsp. (1 mL) nutmeg

1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla ½ cup (125 mL) shredded coconut

½ cup (125 mL) chopped nuts

¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil

¼ cup (60 mL) sesame seeds

¼ cup (60 mL) sunflower seeds

½ cup (125 mL) dried fruit

1. Mix together all of the ingredients, except the dried fruit, in a mixing bowl.

2. Mix well until the oil and molasses coat the rest of the ingredients.

3. Pour mixture into a large skillet and place over medium heat.

4. Stir mixture constantly for about 5 minutes, or until oats turn golden brown.

5. Remove skillet from heat, and stir in dried fruit.

6. Cool the granola and store it in a can or jar with a tight fitting lid in the refrigerator.

7. Serve with or without milk, or serve it topped with yogurt.

Iron Content: 46 mg. (whole recipe)

Add blackstrap molasses as the sweetener in muffins, gingerbread, or baked beans.

Use it in Rye or Pumpernickel bread recipes (I have done this)

Prune Smoothie Recipe

Quote:
This is an excellent after-dinner dessert substitute. Prunes are high in fiber--this smoothie supplies 15.1% of your daily fiber!--so it can help prevent constipation and normalize blood sugar. Prunes are also rich in antioxidants.

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup pitted prunes

1 banana

1 cup soy milk, or rice milk

1 tsp Blackstrap Molasses

Blend in blender till smooth.

Blackstrap molasses--During sugar refining, sucrose is removed from the raw cane plant, leaving this thick syrup full of nutrients. Of the different grades of molasses, blackstrap molasses has the least sugar and the most nutrients--iron, B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, and potassium. The iron content makes it especially good for vegetarians. Prunes increase the absorption of iron even further.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I will have to check out the brand you mentioned, Black Heart. I tried incorporating bs molasses into my diet a few years ago, when I was very anemic, but the taste was god-awful.

Ditto to TNS's thoughts on the smoothie. Prunes and molasses. Oh my. I think (please take this without offense) that I may try this should I ever need to induce vomiting.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I gave the prune smoothie recipe to my parents, thank you. They are excited to try it. Guess it beats that powered fiber stuff.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Molasses update...I had it this morning on Ezekiel sprouted grain toast with peanut butter and raisins. I actually liked it. I think it would also be good on toast with agave nectar and raisins or bananas. As long as you have something to sweeten it up a bit, it seems good.

Thanks for all the tips.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I love it on toast w/ PB, I also like it in cooked apples w/ a bit of cinnamon, eb, vanilla, and sugar (my boyfriend loves these apples on pancakes or oatmeal). I add a bit to anything calling for brown sugar in baking, smoothies, etc.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i could also eat it straight. i think it tastes sweet (and yes, i'm talking about blackstrap). yum.

but on toast with pb is another great way. since pb also has a strong flavor it masks the molasses a bit. and in oatmeal and smoothies, altho sometimes i think it gives a bit of a strange flavor to smoothies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts