VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the grocery store the other day and I saw blackstrap molasses... I picked up a jar and read it and it made it's way into the cart.

Thinking I'm in need of iron (more) what do you use it in? Recipes are appreciated. I checked at VegWeb and came up with a few recipes but what is your personal favorite?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Did someone call me?

My favorite way to use it is:

1 slice ww bread, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tsp BSM.

It's bittersweet tasting, so it takes a bit to get used to.

I also add it to cookies, beans, etc.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Krista got me on this stuff a while back -- within seconds of me mentioning anemia
. I put it in rice pudding, mostly, (which I practically lived off of last winter), but I haven't used it as much now that summer's hit. I suppose I could throw it in some of my smoothies without altering the taste too much. I'll try that and get back to you.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Oh, it's fabulous in Ginger Cake.

I haven't tried it in oatmeal yet, but I'll give that a try. (Usually I don't sweeten it at all... it might be nice slightly sweet.)

Krista,

So all our beatings are just you getting through your emotional baggage from your childhood? That's what I suspected...
BSM isn't too bad straight. When I first bought it I ate a heaping teaspeoon straight to see what it was like. It's better than caster oil, at least.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I like it mixed up with enough unsweetened cocoa powder to make it creamy....mmmm... like really dark bittersweet chocolate mousse. Adding a little water will make it less sweet, a bit of PB makes it REALLY creamy. Oh... and a small pinch of salt, because of the chocolate,- it may sound weird, but most chocolately things really tastes better with some salt added.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I just made the smoothie, and it doesn't taste half bad. My blender is crap. It doesn't chop ice cubes up very well... takes forever and let alone you can't do all the items at once... I need to save up and purchase a good quality one, no more of those cheap ones!

Thanks for the ideas... keep 'em coming

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

Mskedi,

Yeah, it's all that pent up aggressive I have LOL
Didn't I just see you threatening to beat the heck out of Rainbowmoon? Jeez, you've got issues!
Now I'm afraid not to take my BSM... I just had some five minutes ago. Really.

Nah... I like the tough love.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I threatened to beat her because she had unprotected sex with an ex-bf, whom she knew they would not have a relationship.

That is whack worthy!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Here's something my mom used to make when she had scraps of bread dough left over from baking bread ... in Newfoundland they call them Damper dogs (at least some people ... some people now call them something else)

Just fry bread dough (water, flour, salt, yeast ... mix , cover for like 30-45 minutes to rise) in olive oil , flip when golden browned and squash down a bit if getting too tall. Put on a plate and pour molasses on ...........mmmmm, nice
.... nice alternative to pancakes some mornings

·
Registered
0 Posts
<---Newfie

Damper dogs is the acceptable name

I'm not home, but I'll post my 150 year old Molasses Cookie recipe. It's LO and fairly high in fat, but out of this world. I'll also post the lesser fat vegan adaptation I made of it. Still good, but not quite as good, in my opinion

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I didn't like it at first, but after having it a lot it is ummy.

I like to make asandwich with peanut butter and a WHOLE TABLESPOON of blackstrap molasses. Gooey and uber delecious!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How many times should you add this to your diet in lets say, 1 week?

I tried Krista's suggestion about a bagel w/ some peanut butter and a tsp of BSM added. It was super! I love regular molasses, I used to love my grandmother's molasses cookies... which I think I might ask her for the recipe and veganize it and post it here... or just the entire original recipe... they're so yummy. As a child (warning the following is very unhealthy) take a molasses cookie, spread some margerine over it then peanutbutter... wow, what a combo!

Thanks for the suggestions/tips/recipes... keep them coming!

·
Registered
0 Posts
At least a tsp every day.

it's high in calcium and iron, but has almost no calories or fat. It's like a free food heh

I used to spread butter on my molasses cookies, too! In fact, I still do, but not nearly as much as when I was 10.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I heartily agree with peanut butter and molasses on bread. When I was a kid, my mom made fresh bread and let us put peanut butter and molasses on it while it was still hot -- yummy!

You could try making gingerbread (the cakey kind, not the cookies). The recipe usually says fancy molasses, but I use BSM and other than being stronger tasting, it's fine. There's a good recipe in the Salt Spring Island Cookbook (lacto-, but easily substituted for vegan) that calls for, I think, a cup of molasses.

Or, you could try this one (I'd use more molasses and less maple syrup):

Vegan Gingerbread

(an evolving recipe)

My friend Marghretta adapted this from Vegetarian Times and I have further refined it (but without refined sugar). It makes a lovely ending for a fall or winter meal or stands alone as refreshments for a meeting. Good for lunchboxes too. Tastes as rich as one with eggs and dairy but minus the cruelty and the bad fats.

1/3 cup walnut oil (if your health food store does not have this use corn oil please use oils that are not processed with heat and solvents, i.e. do not buy oil in plastic bottles at the supermarket, use unrefined cold pressed oils)

1/3 cup molasses

2/3 cup maple syrup

Oranges to make 1-1/4 cups juice, about four

2 1/2 cups flour use whole wheat pastry flour or half regular whole wheat flour and half unbleached white flour

2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 teaspoon each baking soda and cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon each cloves and sea salt

1/4 teaspoon mace

1/2 cup raisins

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Juice the oranges.

In a large bowl mix the wet ingredients. If you do the oil first the molasses and syrup will not stick to the measuring cup. This is nice and easy you dont need to use (or wash) the mixer.

In a medium bowl sift the dry ingredients and mix with a fork. Stir in

raisins and nuts.

Zest the oranges before juicing and add the zest. The recipe says a tablespoon, but the amount is not critical.

Stir the wet ingredients again, add the dry ingredients and stir until well

mixed but dont overdo it.

Oil a 9 x 13 x 2 Pyrex dish. Pour in the batter and bake for about 30

minutes. May be five minutes more or less depending on your oven. Cool in pan 5 minutes and turn out. Cool on rack.

The last time I topped it with orange marmalade (the kind sweetened with fruit juice). This makes 24 servings of 173 calories (without the nuts) 3 grams protein, 6 grams fat, 25 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber (with all whole wheat flour) and 0 cholesterol.

Enjoy!

http://www.all-creatures.org/mhvs/re...ngerbread.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts