VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Burger King Veggie burger is truly vegan? I went to the website and found the ingredients, but I'm not sure about the artificial butter flavor in the bun. (They also offer a 'specialty bun' without the butter flavor; wonder if they could substitute?)<br><br><br><br>
4" AND 5" BUNS:<br><br>
Enriched Flour (Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, and Folic Acid), Water, Sugar (Sucrose or High Fructose Corn Syrup), Vegetable Shortening, Yeast, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Sesame Seeds, Natural and Artificial Butter Flavor, Yeast Food (Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Iodate, and/or Ammonium Sulfate), Dough Conditioners (Polysorbate 60, Calcium Peroxide [Oxidant], Calcium Salts, Sulfates, Phosphates, and Ammonium Salts), Dough Strengtheners (Sodium and/or Calcium-2-Stearoyl Lactylate or Ethoxylated Mono- and Diglycerides), Dough Softeners (Mono- and Diglycerides, and/or Protease Sorbate), Oxidation Reduction Additives (Ascorbic Acid, Potassium/Calcium Iodate, Alpha-amylase, Azodicarbonamide), Leavening Agent (Monocalcium Phosphate). Natural flavor from plant sources.<br><br><br><br>
BK VEGGIE BURGER PATTY<br><br>
Water, Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, Cooked Brown Rice, Textured Wheat Protein, Rolled Oats, Vital Wheat Gluten, Frozen Onions, Corn Oil, Frozen Carrots, Potato Starch, Frozen Green Peppers, Frozen Red Peppers. Contains 2% or Less of Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Black Olives, Methyl cellulose, Salt, Modified Tapioca Starch, Rice Flour, Yeast Extract, Oat Fiber, Sugar, Potato Dextrin, Konjac Flour, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavors From Non-Meat Sources, Dextrose, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Malt Extract, Sage, Grill Flavor, Basil, Raisin Juice Concentrate, Oregano, Jalapeno Pepper Powder, Sesame Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids, Natural Smoke Flavoring , Celery Oleoresin, Wine, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Xanthan Gum. Natural flavors from plant sources.<br><br><br><br>
(Did you see the WINE??)<br><br><br><br>
Pretty scary stuff, LOL.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Eric Marcus has a whole list of articles and a discussion forum on the BK Veggie on his website. See the box in the bottom right corner on the first page/index page.<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.vegan.com/" target="_blank">http://www.vegan.com/</a>

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Animal products present:<br><br><br><br>
Sodium and/or Calcium-2-Stearoyl Lactylate (almost definite)<br><br>
Mono- and Diglycerides (possible)<br><br>
Protease Sorbate (possible)<br><br><br><br>
If I am incorrect here, please correct me.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
To the best of my knowledge Burger King has made the bun and patty both vegan. The bun and the french fries both used to contain animal products, but I don't believe they do any longer. I've been meaning to call their consumer question line but keep forgetting (only open during the hours I usually sleep).<br><br><br><br>
BTW, don't forget to tell them to hold the mayo. (order it however you want).

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by MarlaLP</i><br><br><b><br><br>
4" AND 5" BUNS:<br><br>
Enriched Flour (Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, and Folic Acid), Water, Sugar (Sucrose or High Fructose Corn Syrup), Vegetable Shortening, Yeast, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Sesame Seeds, Natural and Artificial Butter Flavor, Yeast Food (Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Iodate, and/or Ammonium Sulfate), Dough Conditioners (Polysorbate 60, Calcium Peroxide [Oxidant], Calcium Salts, Sulfates, Phosphates, and Ammonium Salts), Dough Strengtheners (Sodium and/or Calcium-2-Stearoyl Lactylate or Ethoxylated Mono- and Diglycerides), Dough Softeners (Mono- and Diglycerides, and/or Protease Sorbate), Oxidation Reduction Additives (Ascorbic Acid, Potassium/Calcium Iodate, Alpha-amylase, Azodicarbonamide), Leavening Agent (Monocalcium Phosphate). Natural flavor from plant sources.<br><br></b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
That is how you make bread??? That's relaly funny actually. My grandma always made it with flour, yeast and a few others. None of this calcium peroxide malarkey.<br><br><br><br>
But I am the additive cynic here at VB. There's no point in asking bK themselves, because to legally protect themselves from lawsuit, there policy is to declare that the BK veggie isn't vegetarian or vegan.<br><br><br><br>
As for those additives, it is quite possible that they're plant-derived. Mono & diglycerides is in almost everything these days, used as an emulsifier. It's usually derived form soy, although there are times when it is from animals. You'll have to ask BK yourself. Chances are that they'll deny everything and make it harder for you, but good luck anyway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts