VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted previously about my adopted dogs and the loves of my life.

My 5 year old female (backyard bred) whom I consider an absolute rescue because of her condition when I "bought" her, is a biter. She's done the mailman bite, the neighbor bringing the mail over, the neighbor reaching over the fence to grab tomatos (got quaranteened(sp?) for that, and uh, most recently my bros ex-fiancee.

I also have a 9 yr. old male that I got from SPCA that had been there 3 times....no brainer, he was mine!

Fortunately they LOVE each other, and me too! Bonus for me, no?

I bought a house in September and shopped homeowners insurance forever and was totally honest about the dogs, but I kept getting denied over insurance. So I finally found someone to insure me, cause I "didn't have dogs", then suddenly I adopted a dog or two from someone in the paper that was moving out of the country.....hrmmm? New vet, new names, a sort of witness protection program for the mutts.

I am wondering, as I've been told many, many times that my girl needs to be euthanized, but I WON'T DO IT. I choose to restrict her contact with the world as an alternative. We have a happy life in our little house. I have a couple of reliable and comfortable care takers in the event of emergency, and so far no probs at the kennel. She's a fear/protective biter, and I've proven through a friend with absolute patience {Would go on walks with us and talk at a distance then brought clothes over that smelled like them, then got to feed her treats, etc} that she can get used to new people and she's not BAD and doesn't need permanent sleep because of her bad breeding and poor socialization. Just doesn't need a major intrusion in HER house at any time.

How do you guys feel? I'm doing what I can, the best that I can, and when I took the dogs I vowed that I'd care for them until they or I died, however "people" keep telling me otherwise.

I get so sad, but I am committed...or at least I should be committed...I love my pups. My life has definitely changed because of it, but I'm better for it too, I know. But, I also know if I had a human child that was beyond control I wouldn't put it to "sleep."

I need to post some pics of the "viscious" clowns sometime.

Anybody come up against any similar probs or have any input. Just want to exchange ideas with folks that LOVE animals like I do.

Oh, both are WELL trained, she's just poorly socialized (damned ex-f'n-husband)..and he's got separation anxiety so it's hard to take her alone anywhere to try to re-introduce her to the world, but I try. It helps him too, to be alone for a little bit.

P.S. Don't drop a dime on me cause I fibbed to my ins. carrier to keep my babies...a mom's gotta do what she's gotta do.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I feel for you I realy do. I know I could never have my dogs or my cat put to sleep, I just love them too much, it'd be like killing a member of my family.

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, because the only dogs I've known who were biters improved after obediance training. The only suggestion I have is higher fences so they can't get out and noone can get in and cause a law suit. I think what you did, how you introduced your friend to your dogs was a great idea.

I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I have a similar problem with one my foster dogs, though it doesn't sound quite as bad. Deja is fearful of strangers and becomes aggressive around people she doesn't know. I had her over at my parent's house last weekend, and everything was good until I went inside and left her outside with my sister and her friend. Deja knew my sister but not her friend, and decide to go after her, lunging and growling. Thankfully my sister was there to pull her off. But she doesn't show well at adoption events either because she growls or barks at strangers. So this is going to be a hard dog to adopt out! I've been taking her with me everywhere I go though, and trying to get her more socialized. I bring her with me when I clean at the dog shelter and tell all the other cleaners to give her treats and talk to her. I know that if she had ended up at any other shelter that she would definetely have been put to sleep. I didn't realize she was agressive until after I started fostering her, because she never showed any agression to me while I spent time with her at the shelter, but in reading her file I see that she was returned to us for biting someone. So, I'm sorry that I don't have any advice, but I wish you the best of luck with your dog.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a dog that is dog aggressive. I believe it's a fear/dominance combination on her part. We suspect that she was bred for dog fighting, because of her temperament and the area in which she was found. We have to keep her separated from one of our other dogs at all times, and when she goes to the vet, we have to make sure that there are no dogs in the waiting room before we bring her in from the car. She is very sweet and affectionate with people, but I would never trust her around children, except under the closest supervision; she goes so absolutely berserk around other dogs that I really do think that she's not psychologically "normal"; I just don't trust her around anyone vulnerable. When her aggressiveness suddenly evidenced itself as she matured (even though she had been well socialized--we took her lots of places, and she had many good dog interactions) we knew we would either have to deal with it or put her to sleep, because no one else would have wanted her (except for dog fighting
) We decided that a human wouldn't be put down because of mental instability, and she has been a loving companion to us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts