VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember these?

I'm just curious if anyone has made a Vegan one? I'm guessing I can just do a biscuit crust, some "meat", some "cheese" and some spaghetti sauce. I've got some red and yellow bell peppers and olives.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was thinking I can't probably replace the egg, but maybe I could just make a slightly thin batter and pour that in the pan and then add the other stuff in layers. It's not totally the same, but it sounds so comforting.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've not made a savory impossible pie, but I did however make a pumpkin impossible pie from the fatfreevegan blog & it turned out wonderful, and yes it did call for the ener-gy replacer & yes, it was VERY runny before pouring into the pan, but after baking it turned out really yummy.

I tried to do a search for some recipes for you, but unfortunately I'm not having any luck.

This might have to be a "trial & error" thing, but if you could ever get the recipe worked out, I'm sure it would be really versatile!!

Good luck!

Michelle

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Bisquick Heart Smart is vegan and has no hydrogenated oils in it. I've made biscuits and such with it using soy milk and rice milk (which I prefer). I would try a vegan milk and some egg replacer and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Here's the recipe for the vegan impossible pumpkin pie from fatfree.com

Impossible Vegan Pumpkin Pie

1 1/2 cups soymilk

1 tbsp. Ener-G egg replacer*

1/4 cup water*

1 tbsp. cornstarch

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups pureed or mashed cooked pumpkin (or cushaw or winter squash)

1/2 cup rice flour (or flour of your choice)

2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp. ginger powder

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with cooking spray. (I used a Pyrex pan, and it came out with no sticking.) A deep dish is recommended because this pie will rise a lot during cooking but will fall back down as it cools.

Put the first five ingredients in the blender, and blend well. Add the pumpkin, and puree. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides a couple of times to make sure everything is thoroughly blended. Pour into a pie pan and bake for about 60 minutes. The top and edges should be brown, but the edges should not be over-done. (Since this is a custardy pie, using the standard toothpick or knife test does not work; it will remain somewhat moist in the center, but it shouldn't be uncooked.)

Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the counter. For best results, refrigerate until chilled before eating.

*If you don't have Ener-G egg replacer, you can omit it and the 1/4 cup water and use any other replacement for two eggs. Of course, if you're not vegan, you could use two eggs, but why not give the vegan version a chance?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have had good luck using 1/8 tsp xantham gum whisked into 1/4 cup water as an egg replacer for 1 egg. it makes a goo that is similar to egg white consistancy. Would that work?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I made a Bisquick impossible pie just a couple of weeks ago. I was hosting a brunch for family (some of which are omnis).

I made it traditionally, with eggs, cheddar cheese and milk, but with spinach and red peppers. It was really good.

I'd be very interested in a vegan recipe. It might work to use a silken tofu in the filling.

·
Registered
185 Posts
regular bisquick is also vegan. I made a really good one a couple of nights ago using salsa, corn & red bell pepper. I always mix my bisquick crust with nutritional yeast, milled flax and water. Spread that into a greased pan then top with salsa and top that with the chopped red bell pepper & frozen corn. No meat substitute or fake cheese was needed, it was very yummy on it's own. The nutritional yeast in the crust gives it a slight cheezy flavor. I probably would have added more veggies if I would have had them but we're running really low on groceries right now and had to make due with what we had (which was why I was using the bisquick in the first place, i try to avoid it since it has hydrogenated oils in it lol). Rincaro, I'll have to look into the heart smart version. I love having easy biscuits around!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pumpkin pie is the one that got me thinking about it in the first place.

We ended up making a pizza crust from vegweb that was flour, baking powder and beer. YUMMY! It was really similar or at least it fed that craving. I added some thyme, parsley and salt to the crust. Then I poured a big glug of EVOO in the pan. I mushed it down really flat until some of the crust went up the sides of the pan. I used a jelly roll pan.

The toppings (in this order) were spaghetti sauce, A mix of cheddar and mozz. FYH "cheese", fake hamburger, sundried tomatoes, marinated artichokes, red pepper, green onion, a whole lot of freshly chopped garlic, black olives, squirts of pesto concentrate, more cheese, more onions, more peppers.

It was too die for and I think a weekly staple now. It was quicker than pizza and it tasted good as leftovers. YUMMY! I wish I had a picture to share...but it's all gone. My dh ate 5 huge pieces. He was so full and he couldn't stop eating it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.