VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently practicing this style of yoga and I love it. I saw an immediate improvement in my health.

Anyone else do/done this type of yoga before?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Weight Loss: the amount of calories burned per session varies from person to person. [3], but estimates range between 500 and 1250 depending upon intensity of practice and other factors.
Oh snap.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Yes I have taken a few months of classes and I have mixed feeling on it....the room was 110 degrees very tough at first....I was sick almost to the point of throwing up and we werent supposed to/ allowed to leave the room...YEAH RIGHT.... cause of disipline or whatever....I was thiscolse to doing it.....I was red faced and extremely dizzy at first but after about ten minutes I was okay and it was nice to sweat the toxins out....it was in a very small room where we were packed in like sardines (sorry I know this is a veggie board but its how I felt)..It had harsh yellow lighting and this teacher/instructor was not helpful and laughed when people made mistakes ect.....It was a great workout and I felt energized after and I would definately TRY it again with a different class/Instructor.

Peace

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not supposed to be 110 degrees; only 104 (only ???). I had the same problem and really investigated the safety of it. I have also found that in different studios some of the instructors have a more militant attitude. Even within the same studio.

Each time it gets a little better, though.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My sister (a yoga and dance enthusiast) LOVES this style, swears by it. I never tried it cause about the time I had the money we FINALLY conceived...

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

It is not supposed to be 110 degrees; only 104 (only ???). I had the same problem and really investigated the safety of it. I have also found that in different studios some of the instructors have a more militant attitude. Even within the same studio.

Each time it gets a little better, though.
not sure of what anything is supposed to be but this awful instructor made a point to tell us it was 110 degrees and wanted people who had health issues to make sure this was an option for them..

Peace

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

Yes I have taken a few months of classes and I have mixed feeling on it....the room was 110 degrees very tough at first....I was sick almost to the point of throwing up and we werent supposed to/ allowed to leave the room...YEAH RIGHT.... cause of disipline or whatever....I was thiscolse to doing it.....I was red faced and extremely dizzy at first but after about ten minutes I was okay and it was nice to sweat the toxins out....it was in a very small room where we were packed in like sardines (sorry I know this is a veggie board but its how I felt)..It had harsh yellow lighting and this teacher/instructor was not helpful and laughed when people made mistakes ect.....It was a great workout and I felt energized after and I would definately TRY it again with a different class/Instructor.Peace
Quote:

It is not supposed to be 110 degrees; only 104 (only ???).
This all sounds like a nightmare. So basically you pay money to have people torture you, be rude and mean to you while you bake in an oven??

You girls are crazy

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

This all sounds like a nightmare. So basically you pay money to have people torture you,
be rude and mean to you while you bake in an oven??
Yeah, pretty much.
Quote:
You girls are crazy
yep

It really is difficult for the 90 minutes I'm in class, but afterward is unbelievable. I have a skin disorder that tends to travel around my body. The day I started the class, it had been in my mouth for a few months. I had a perpetual feeling that I had burned my mouth on something too hot. Within two days all the symptoms were gone.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

It really is difficult for the 90 minutes I'm in class, but afterward is unbelievable. I have a skin disorder that tends to travel around my body. The day I started the class, it had been in my mouth for a few months. I had a perpetual feeling that I had burned my mouth on something too hot. Within two days all the symptoms were gone.
Yikes. The skin infection in your mouth must've been been painful
but that's amazing that your symptoms went away so quickly! Sounds like you are really benefiting from the yoga

Just be careful.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have done a few classes. The 90 minute class in the beginning is really really hard but as your body get use to the heat and postures it gets better. The after effects are amazing.

I am going for my first 90 minutes class after not doing for a long time... WISH ME LUCK!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I quite fancy trying this, my local place has an offer on so I might give it a go. Sounds a bit scary though.

·
Registered
765 Posts
please give it a try. its really amazing. I got a cold at the moment so couldnt go do my class but will commit, here in cape town they do 60 minute classes and 90 minute classes but I think I am going to start with the 90 minute class right away.

its getting cold and gloomy here as winter is approaching so need something to lift my spirits. I have gym membership but dont feel like the activities at the gym.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Signed up. I get 10 days for £15 (introductory offer). So nervous! First class on Tuesday. They only do 90 minutes classes

·
Registered
765 Posts
just take bottle water, big towel and some other clothes cause you sweat a bit. If you going to eat do it at least 2 hours before a class.

remember its at your own pace, dont feel intimidated, its just a new experience. if you feel you need a break just lay down on the towel or sit. Remember not to judge your progress.

My first class in awhile will also be on Tuesday so keep me posted.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hydrate the heck out of yourself. You are going to sweat a lot. And don't try to keep up if you are feeling woozy. I sit through many of the postures. Dress very light. A lot of the women only wear shorts and a sports bra.

You are pretty petit and young so you probably will do much better than me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I LOVE Bikram, and can't wait to return to it once I move back to the city after graduation. I never experienced mean teachers. I would go from 5:30-7am and it felt so amazing. It was a wonderful way to start my day and I had so much energy afterwards, even if getting out of bed to go was torture. I had a male teacher with a very soothing voice. He was encouraging and would take time to notice his students and give advice or praise. We were allowed to stop if we needed to, we just had to be courteous and we couldn't take anything in the room but mats, towel, and a water bottle. The heat I had to get used to, but I quickly grew to love it because I am happier the sweatier I am in a workout. At the end, we got at least 15 minutes meditation time, where he'd dim the lights and they had a glowy star lit ceiling. And it felt so amazing leaving that hot room - air has never felt so fresh and rejuvenating before. Oh and I only wear a sports bra, tank, and booty shorts. I can't handle any more clothes than that. Oh haha, also there were all types in my class - women in their seventies, men in their twenties, obese people, it was a very welcoming atmosphere.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Really enjoyed it

Bit knackered now though, will write up a bit more when I'm rehydrated properly...

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I tried it once but didn't like it. I don't like the feeling of being in hot room full of people sweating. When it gets like that in a nightclub or a party, I tend to go outside for a while to get some air
so Bikram's really not my thing.

More power to you if you enjoy it though. One thing you do have to be mindful of with Bikram's is injuries. When your muscles are very warm there's a tendancy to over-extend past what you are capable of doing. Apparently, injuries sustained from doing Bikram are on the increase, so just be careful, don't push yourself too much.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by anicepieceofash View Post

I LOVE Bikram, and can't wait to return to it once I move back to the city after graduation. I never experienced mean teachers. I would go from 5:30-7am and it felt so amazing. It was a wonderful way to start my day and I had so much energy afterwards, even if getting out of bed to go was torture.
I wish I could go before work, but the studio is too far away (20 miles!) and I start work too early. :\\

1 - 20 of 48 Posts