VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow cyclists!

I am in need of a new bike saddle as my old one that came with my bike has broken down quite a bit and has become EXTREMELY uncomfortable, it is also leather and I would really like to replace it with a non-leather saddle.

Any ideas of brands to look for that have a good selection of non leather saddles?

what do you think of "gel" saddles?
i rode one yesterday that felt great at first but halfway into my ride i was cringing in pain, it was pinching and i felt like i had "settled into" it with little support left underneath.

how do you take your measurements for a bike saddle?
the one i tried yesterday was pinching me bc it was too wide, don't want to run into that problem ever again, ouch!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I think it's pretty hard to find a saddle that's actually made out of leather. What kind of bike do you have?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
As far as what model saddle, everyone has his/her own preference. A lot of the saddles available are made out of synthetic materials (leather ones definitely exist though). But go on a website and look around at the different brands, the specs for each saddle should tell you the materials it's made from.

Are you male or female?

When I get home I can see what all I have on my bikes.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im riding a schwinn traveler now.

i have found the majority are leather, the one that came with my bike was a Brooks, ive been looking at Selle and Terry also...mostly all leather.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

As far as what model saddle, everyone has his/her own preference. A lot of the saddles available are made out of synthetic materials (leather ones definitely exist though). But go on a website and look around at the different brands, the specs for each saddle should tell you the materials it's made from.

Are you male or female?

When I get home I can see what all I have on my bikes.
im a lady.

i ride more than recreationally so i need a saddle that is more in the performance/endurance category. my average rides are between 20-60 miles.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

im a lady.

i ride more than recreationally so i need a saddle that is more in the performance/endurance category. my average rides are between 20-60 miles.
Good to know. Let me check out what's on my road bike later tonight. I bought it last year and I remember researching non-leather seats, but can't remember the brand off the top of my head. It's a nice saddle (at least I like it).

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I had one custom made at the hippy bike shop here out of recycled plastic bags, maybe there is a bike shop in your area that sells custom seats?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool, thank you!

i just lost out a bid on a Fizik seat brand new on ebay
will be looking for more as these seem just right for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts