VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I e-mailed the company with some questions on whether any of their food was vegetarian. While they couldn't answer my question exactly, they responded with:

Applebee's International, Inc. does not claim its products to be vegetarian to meet the requirements for a vegetarian diet or to meet the criteria for any other special dietary regimen. Dairy and egg products may be present in meatless recipes. Trace amounts of meat or animal products may be present as a result of preparation or cooking.

Just a warning to everyone.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Applebee's is well known to be VERY veg-unfriendly.
Indeed. Last time (about 3-4 months ago?) that I took a look at their menu, they didn't list any veggie options whatsoever. Well, I'm sure that their desserts might be vegetarian (one would hope), but I can't eat them. So, Applebee's always gets a veto from me.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
It sounds like their lawyers told them to write that. I went to TGIF's recently and got a portabello mushroom sandwhich. I was really surprised to see that. I was figuring I'd have to get a salad.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have a veggie pizza... here's the list the lady sent me of things that can be made vegetarian:

Chicken & Broccoli Pasta Alfredo, Chicken Fajita Roll-up, Nachos Nuevos, Veggie Patch Pizza, Mozzarella Sticks, Vegetable Fajitas con Sizzle

But you're still paying full price. And for the Roll-up, you'd have a cheese, lettuce, and salsa roll-up. That's it and paying about $10 for it.

I know this is how it is at all restaurants, but the response they sent was disappointing.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mushroom sandwich at TGI Fridays is pretty good, but not the healthiest. I think that's my issue with a lot of places... the usually options for us are a simple salad or something deep fried. Yuck!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

They have a veggie pizza... here's the list the lady sent me of things that can be made vegetarian:

Chicken & Broccoli Pasta Alfredo, Chicken Fajita Roll-up, Nachos Nuevos, Veggie Patch Pizza, Mozzarella Sticks, Vegetable Fajitas con Sizzle

But you're still paying full price. And for the Roll-up, you'd have a cheese, lettuce, and salsa roll-up. That's it and paying about $10 for it.

I know this is how it is at all restaurants, but the response they sent was disappointing.
Yeah, I've ordered fancy salads minus the meat at places, and they still charge you the $12 or whatever ridiculous amount.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I HATE Applebees. My friends always want to go there...yeah definetly one of the most unveggie friendly restaurants out there. I would usually never order anything while we went and would just eat before or when I got home but last time I went my friends kept giving me crap about never eating while we go out so I ordered the chicken fajita wrap (minus chicken)...... I got a wrap with a few pieces of iceberg lettuce in it. No more Applebees for me.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You can get the roll up with mushrooms instead of chicken, that makes it better (though still not great...). They've never charged me extra for the mushrooms like some places do. That really annoys me when I'm not getting meat and they still charge me extra to add something less expensive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I've had the veggie patch pizza and it was very very good. lots of mushrooms, tomatoes, etc.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

Yeah, I've ordered fancy salads minus the meat at places, and they still charge you the $12 or whatever ridiculous amount.
Exactly. $12 is a ton for some lettuce, tomatoes, and dressing. I know restaurants are always more pricey, but $12 is INSANE.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

I doubt I would eat there anyway, but thank you very much for informing us of their response.
You're welcome *hugs* I like that here on the VB, we look out for each other. That's how it should be!
I mean, if you're ever at a restaurant about to bite into something that secretly has meat in it, one us will be there *slow motion* "Noooooo!"

*hehe*

·
Registered
167 Posts
well to reinforce what they said, i went to applebees once and asked the server if their french fries were cooked with the chicken strips, and she said no, so i ordered them. later, as i was almost done with them, at the bottom of the basket was a small chicken piece. so i would recommend steering clear of these types of places unless you're absolutely sure you can get something there.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I HATE Applebees. My friends always want to go there...yeah definetly one of the most unveggie friendly restaurants out there. I would usually never order anything while we went and would just eat before or when I got home but last time I went my friends kept giving me crap about never eating while we go out so I ordered the chicken fajita wrap (minus chicken)...... I got a wrap with a few pieces of iceberg lettuce in it. No more Applebees for me.
I dislike it a ton too. Sadly, it used to be my favorite restaurant when I was a meat-eater. Almost every week my friends in high school and I would go.

If your friends give you crap, why don't you suggest a restaurant you know you can eat at. Just say "You can't harass me if you're going to take me to a place you know I can't eat at." I have this issue with my family. Their response is just "You're picky" to which I reply "Yeah, that response was so helpful. You magically fixed the situation with your hateful comment. Just for that, I'm switching back to supporting murder."

Uhh... the wrap didn't sound good to me. So boring.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

You can get the roll up with mushrooms instead of chicken, that makes it better (though still not great...). They've never charged me extra for the mushrooms like some places do. That really annoys me when I'm not getting meat and they still charge me extra to add something less expensive.
Don't you absolutely hate that? I'm a waitress and in situations like that, I make sure they're not charged extra. For example... when someone orders a salad without bacon and they want avocado instead, I ring it in a way where they won't be charged. I wonder if at some restaurants they don't have that option. If I hit "sub" instead of "plus" they're not charged.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts