Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Better-Than-Starbucks" Ginger Pumpkin Scone

Category: Breads

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

OK, so I found a recipe that's supposed to be just exactly like the yummy (but not vegan) Pumpkin Scones that Starbucks sells... then I made them better AND made them vegan...

1/2 cup sugar

3 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp ginger powder

1 tsp. finely shredded fresh ginger root

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup margarine

2 TB. coconut oil

2 cups pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned, either is fine)

Instructions:

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and dry ginger and cinnamon).

Cut in margarine and coconut oil, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and fresh ginger and combine well.

On a lightly floured surface, knead dough a few times, pushing it into a large circle, a few inches thick.

Cut into 12 or so triangular pieces. Imagine you are cutting a pizza so that you get even, triangular slices.

Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until done.

Additional comments:

·
Registered
787 Posts
I tried these today with the pumpkin leftover from pie-making
They turned out fantastic! They're very light and delicately flavoured, not in-your-face about the pumpkin. We loved them!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
These sounds delicious!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I made these today and they were quite tasty. Both my dried and fresh ginger seems to have disappeared though I used both last night in dinner ??? so I ended up spicing them with more pumpkin-pie like spices (cloves, extra cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg). When I first started working the pumpkin in I thought they might be a bit dry but it ended up being quite a moist dough. Excellent toasted with a good smearing of EB.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad these turned out for you guys! You can definitely sub another oil if you have it - I just like the texture of some things baked w/ coconut oil - but by all means use what you have.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yup, another thumbs up there too, TNS!!!

I made these yesterday morning for breakfast, they were very moist & we REALLY enjoyed them.

My modification though was to use Sucanat instead of regular sugar, if you do this, you need to add more sucanat or even 1/2 suacanat & 1/2 regular sugar.

That was the only complaint from both of my kids, that they weren't sweet at all? I thought they tasted fine, but hey, you know kids!!!

Seriously TNS, you need to think about a cookbook, you have some of the yummiest recipes!!!
Thanks for sharing another "keeper"!!!

Michelle

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to jump on the Love Train also, and say how awesome these were! I halved the recipe, cut them out into biscuits and came out with 11. I have been eating them with soup and chili for lunch all week. Yummy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.