VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my gf wanted everyone to know that she saved a little betta yesterday from those horrid small cups she bought he a litttle 4 or 5 gallon tank and he is as happy as can be

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

awesome, I have mine in my 75 gallon community tank and it's really cool to watch him swim around.
your betta lives in a community tank i have a 55 gallon commiunty tank betta are very aggresive that is amazing that he lives in there

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Bettas are aggressive to other fish that look like bettas, but in a community tank with no fancy guppies, etc. most of them do well (some will, as you said be aggressive towards everything). There is a danger of them getting picked on by fin nippers, or getting thrown around by too much current but they certainly can work out. Sometimes they are aggressive towards other labyrinth fish as well, but he does fine with my gourami.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have gouramis i have a pretty peaceful tank thats cool though he does well i want to get another ram chichlid i miss my old one

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

Yeah, mine lives in a 10 gallon.
Same. I also have one in a 2 gallon tank in my office. I'd like to get him a 5 gallon when I have the extra money.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If she bought him from a pet store, she didn't really save him. She just proved that people will buy them so the supply will continue and there will continue to be bettas in tiny cups of very dirty water. Far better to complain to management (as often as necessary) to get them kept in better conditions. Buying one just reinforces that they can make money off keeping those poor fish in those conditions.
It's sad, but true. It's like getting a dog at a pet store. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZdogs View Post

If she bought him from a pet store, she didn't really save him. She just proved that people will buy them so the supply will continue and there will continue to be bettas in tiny cups of very dirty water. Far better to complain to management (as often as necessary) to get them kept in better conditions. Buying one just reinforces that they can make money off keeping those poor fish in those conditions.
It's sad, but true. It's like getting a dog at a pet store. Not a good idea.
itsnt the point of being in a pet shop i understand its giving them money but all animals need love even ones from pet stores i aggree with you getting a dog from a pet store not a good idea all my dogs are recuses and at least that fish is happy right cause money is money and that store will make money wiether we but betta there or not so why not give it a good home instead of a little tiny cup i apperciate your thought and yeah she did save him he isnt in a cup anymore is he and he is happy probley happt not here but where he belongs but at least he isnt in a cup right

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZdogs View Post

If she bought him from a pet store, she didn't really save him.
I agree. She saved the 1 fish but not the 1 (and possibly more) that will replace it. I'm always tempted to buy one, they seem so miserable but I just can't bring myself to do it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I love Bettas and think they are the most gorgeous fish out there. And I hate how they are kept in those tiny cups full of dirty water. WHen I lived in the States, every time I went into a pet store, I'd insist on clean water being provided for them. Couldnt' get them to give bigger containers because "People will feel sorry for them and buy them." I was actually told this by an employee. As much as I hate to see their suffering, I will never contribute to it by buying one. If enough people would stop buying them to "save" them, then the supply would start dwindling because the stores wouldn't be making money. And that would save far more fish in the long run.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you DMZdogs. However, I think the part that wasn't included in the last sentence of your post was "and all the existing bettas in the stores die".

Because they will. They can't live out a full lifespan in those conditions.

So, you would be saving fish in the long run but killing fish in the short one.

Just saying, not trying to be argumentative.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I've always found bettas are easy to get from people who bought them and are now tired of them. Thats how I got paco (and the rest of my fish). Any time I see one in someone's house, etc. with fin rot or some other disease I offer to take him off their hands and generally they're happy to see them go.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well, really, if you get technical about it, they are going to die whether they have a long lifespan or a short lifespan. Do you really consider yourself to have killed any fish in horrid conditions that you have passed by and not purchased? If so, that must be really hard on you. Not trying to be sarcastic or anything...just....well, I know I couldn't handle feeling that way.

thebelovedtree~ That's the only way I'd ever get another betta and I think it's great that you do that. They are just beginning to be available over here, and in tiny little cups of very little water that is very dirty just like back home. *sigh* But, I don't know anyone who has one. Hopefully, no one is buying them. *sigh* I'm sure that people are buying them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a betta fish named Knut. He also has plenty of space. He lives alone with an algae eater. Ive had betta fish (male and 2 females) in an aquarium with many fish, but the females and the male didt go well together. They left the other guppies alone though.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Yeah, males and females can't be kept together and females need groups of 3+ to be kept together because they'll form a pecking order and the alpha betta (haha) needs lots of subs to pick on.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, males and females can't be kept together and females need groups of 3+ to be kept together because they'll form a pecking order and the alpha betta (haha) needs lots of subs to pick on.
I had 4 females in a tank together once. The alpha ladybetta eventually killed all 3 of the others. Wasn't a pretty thing.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Quote:

I've always found bettas are easy to get from people who bought them and are now tired of them. Thats how I got paco (and the rest of my fish). Any time I see one in someone's house, etc. with fin rot or some other disease I offer to take him off their hands and generally they're happy to see them go.
Umm...you have a pacu?...You'll probably need a small indoor pond for them eventually. The public local hospital has a baby pacu with a wounded mouth in a 125-150 gal. I'm not sure the adult pacu could physically fit in there.

I have advertised that pacu plight on the forum dedicated to large fish and nobody wants to do a rescue. Sad fact is there's too many pacus and not enough people with small pond an enormious tanks to take them. Euthanization will probably be tne best idea.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Umm...you have a pacu?...You'll probably need a small indoor pond for them eventually. The public local hospital has a baby pacu with a wounded mouth in a 125-150 gal. I'm not sure the adult pacu could physically fit in there.

I have advertised that pacu plight on the forum dedicated to large fish and nobody wants to do a rescue. Sad fact is there's too many pacus and not enough people with small pond an enormious tanks to take them. Euthanization will probably be tne best idea.
I think it's a betta, and his name is Paco.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts