VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen Worthington/Loma Linda products so many times, but I'm afraid that I'll buy the wrong item and be completely turned off by the products. What is the best Worthington product? (I can find any of the products because I live by the Loma Linda store in California.) Thanks!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
It all depends on what you're brave enough to try.

Worthington and Loma Linda products aren't like most faux meats in that they were never trying to replicate a meat product in taste or texture - they aren't even marketed at people who've previously eaten meat so most vegetarians don't understand why they're so different than the standard health-food-store faux meats.

They may look like burger or hot dog "shapes" or whatever, but they won't taste like them - sometimes that's OK, sometimes not - accepting them for what they are are; simply a seitan or soy protein product meant to use as a convenient protein source makes them easier to handle I think.

That said, some of them can be pretty good, but it really depends. Honestly, most people find them scary.

**Ask the store manager - they will usually have free samples and taste tests cooked and available right in the store at certain times where you can try them with no obligation to buy...

The frozen products are similar to Morningstar Farms, corndogs, "sausage", fake bacon, chik patties, burgers... I'd recommend trying those, some I prefer over Morningstar, some not so much. If you're vegan, some will have egg-whites but the vegan ones are usually clearly marked.

The products in cans are definitely an aquired taste, with a few exceptions, they are mushy, oddly flavored, packed in overly salty broth and smell very weird... I think they're mostly preferred for their convenience by 60-year-old life-long-Adventist vegetarian Grandmas.

One exception to the "scary canned faux meats" are the Companion brand of oriental gluten products.

Some Adventist stores sell them (as do most Asian markets). Seitan or gluten products have been made in Tailand and China for hundreds of years and they know what they're doing! They are usually really good! Thye're often packed in a curry or spicy broth and can be tossed into stir fries or curry sauces over rice. Try the Cha'i-Pow-Yu (the curry style if you like spices!) or the Mun-Cha'i-Ya (fake roast duck).

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I don't really like the Loma Linda brand but I do like the Worthington stuff. I usually get the Leanies(hotdogs) and the sliced lunchmeat style faux meat. I don't remember the name but it's the roast beef flavor. I usually just eat those straight out of the package, well after I defrost them I do. I haven't had them since I turned vegan so I don't know if they are vegan or not.

The slices don't taste like sliced lunchmeat to me but have a flavor I really like. The Leanies do kind of taste like hot dogs and have a texture resembling them. I never really liked hot dogs but did like the texture so I eat these smothered in mustard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

(I can find any of the products because I live by the Loma Linda store in California.) Thanks!
Hi neighbor...I live about 30 minutes from Loma Linda.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Tofu-N-Sprouts. Your response was amazing, as usual
I think I'll be brave one day and try something. I usually eat mostly Morningstar Farms products, but it wouldn't hurt me to try to add more selection into my diet

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I don't really like the Loma Linda brand but I do like the Worthington stuff. I usually get the Leanies(hotdogs) and the sliced lunchmeat style faux meat. I don't remember the name but it's the roast beef flavor. I usually just eat those straight out of the package, well after I defrost them I do. I haven't had them since I turned vegan so I don't know if they are vegan or not.

The slices don't taste like sliced lunchmeat to me but have a flavor I really like. The Leanies do kind of taste like hot dogs and have a texture resembling them. I never really liked hot dogs but did like the texture so I eat these smothered in mustard.

Hi neighbor...I live about 30 minutes from Loma Linda.
I will definately take your ideas with me when I go to the La Sierra store
I just looked and only a few of the Worthington products are vegan. I actually didn't know that Worthington and Loma Linda were 2 different products. Now that I see some of the labels, some are just labeled Worthington and other are labeled Worthington Loma Linda
I like Morningstar Farm hot dogs, but the texture is a little weird for me. Do you know if the Worthington brand are any better?

Where do you live exactly? I can't even estimate how far away I am from Loma Linda in terms of time... it completely depends on the time of day. I'm in Riverside, Orangecrest area.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Thanks for the link. The stuff I like isn't vegan
The Worthington leanies were the only faux hot dogs I liked. I thought they were better than Morningstar Farms.

I'm in Forest Falls, near Yucaipa and Mentone, at the base of the Big Bear Lake mountains.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bummer. I will definately try leanie someday.

I know where Yucaipa and Mentone are. You're about an hour from me
My sister actually works at Loma Linda hospital. She said most of the food in the cafeteria is awful though. haha

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
danascully; as a kid (we're talking 40 years ago!!) my parents would make a huge side-trip to the Loma Linda Market every other summer when we drove to Disneyland from Washington State!!

We stocked up on all manner of vegetaran and healthfood product - mostly dry soymilk powder and bulk nuts and beans. We were sorta veggie-hippie-tarians and in the '60's there weren't a lot of health-food stores.

My most favorite thing about the market was the "grind-your-own-peanutbutter" machine and we'd beg my Mom to get some every time we were there. She'd get a big tub of it (we LOVED watching the machine work!!) and we'd dunk crackers and carrots into it and finish the entire tub of it before we were home, 4 days later!! - Now it seems every Whole-Foods and health food store has a peanut grinding machine, but I still remember that particular one fondly.

As far as Worthington/Loma Linda foods go - try the frozen "Chickett" roll. It's a frozen soy product (vegan) that you can tear or cut into chunks and bread and fry or bake (or shake-n-bake) for GREAT nuggets - or slice for a snadwich meat thingy, or chop/grind in the food processor with onions, celery, mayo, etc, for a killer "chik'n" sandwich.

The vegetarian pot-pies are cheaper than brands like "Amy's" and much better, though I don't believe they're vegan. Try them if that sort of thing interests you.

There is a brand of hot-dogs - in a can - that my not-so-vegetarian daughter LOVES called "Big Franks". (Vegan - don't get the low fat ones though...)

If you can get past the fact that they're in a brine/broth/gravy sort of liquid (that I drain and rinse off) they're actually pretty good and not really hot-dog-like in taste or texture.

The seitan product called "Skallops" is also quite good - very much like other commercial "wheat meat" seitan or gluten products - but again - in a can... despite their name, they are not anything like a fishy-ocean product at all, just bland wheat-gluten that takes on flavors well with breading and frying, or cutting into bits for stir fry, curry or the like...

I saw you asked about Tuno in another thread. It comes frozen or canned - all the horrible things you may have heard, are about the canned version... the frozen is pretty good actually and not very "fishy".

As whisper said, the frozen, sliced lunch-meat products are pretty good, if VERY salty!! My kids love them - mostly they get them at Grandma's. They aren't vegan so I don't eat them any more, but they are insanely good with crackers and cream cheese as a snack... heh.. yeah...remembering pre-vegan days...

OK /end trip down memory lane.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I grew up eating Big Franks and love them. We lovingly call them "Big Farts" I rinse them and fry them or put them on the BBQ. We have had summer river parties and have bought the huge cans and served them up to the crowds. I prefer them to the other "hot dogs" out there. I also have used the Skallops. They do well in stirfries and such. My favorite way is to marinate and grill them with veggies. I also like the Worthington chilli. I mostly make my own with home made seitan but the canned kind is good for chilli fries and over fritos. I have not adventured out into all the other products.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally made it to the La Sierra Health Store yesterday. The Oasis Vegetarian cafe they have is goooooood! I found tuno too! Many people here were looking for frozen tuno.

I've only tried the corn dogs so far (I also bought the fillets and Leanies) and I think they're better than Morningstar Farms!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGuna View Post

I grew up eating Big Franks and love them. We lovingly call them "Big Farts" I rinse them and fry them or put them on the BBQ. We have had summer river parties and have bought the huge cans and served them up to the crowds. I prefer them to the other "hot dogs" out there. I also have used the Skallops. They do well in stirfries and such. My favorite way is to marinate and grill them with veggies. I also like the Worthington chilli. I mostly make my own with home made seitan but the canned kind is good for chilli fries and over fritos. I have not adventured out into all the other products.
Awesome
I saw the Skallops, but was a little skeptical. I'll have to try them. I picked up the chili and looked at it, but decided to get the Morningstar farms brand instead. I plan on trying them all and seeing which I like best.

The corn dogs are very good. I bought the Fillets and Leanies (all frozen), but haven't tried them yet. I bought tuno too.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

danascully; as a kid (we're talking 40 years ago!!) my parents would make a huge side-trip to the Loma Linda Market every other summer when we drove to Disneyland from Washington State!!

As far as Worthington/Loma Linda foods go - try the frozen "Chickett" roll. It's a frozen soy product (vegan) that you can tear or cut into chunks and bread and fry or bake (or shake-n-bake) for GREAT nuggets - or slice for a snadwich meat thingy, or chop/grind in the food processor with onions, celery, mayo, etc, for a killer "chik'n" sandwich.

The vegetarian pot-pies are cheaper than brands like "Amy's" and much better, though I don't believe they're vegan. Try them if that sort of thing interests you.

There is a brand of hot-dogs - in a can - that my not-so-vegetarian daughter LOVES called "Big Franks". (Vegan - don't get the low fat ones though...)

If you can get past the fact that they're in a brine/broth/gravy sort of liquid (that I drain and rinse off) they're actually pretty good and not really hot-dog-like in taste or texture.

The seitan product called "Skallops" is also quite good - very much like other commercial "wheat meat" seitan or gluten products - but again - in a can... despite their name, they are not anything like a fishy-ocean product at all, just bland wheat-gluten that takes on flavors well with breading and frying, or cutting into bits for stir fry, curry or the like...

I saw you asked about Tuno in another thread. It comes frozen or canned - all the horrible things you may have heard, are about the canned version... the frozen is pretty good actually and not very "fishy".

As whisper said, the frozen, sliced lunch-meat products are pretty good, if VERY salty!! My kids love them - mostly they get them at Grandma's. They aren't vegan so I don't eat them any more, but they are insanely good with crackers and cream cheese as a snack... heh.. yeah...remembering pre-vegan days...

OK /end trip down memory lane.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I read your post and promised to reply later, but then forgot to.

Were you raised a vegetarian?

I went to the La sierra Health Store yesterday (where they sell all of the products... the factory is next door). I bought tuno, corn dogs, fillets, and leanies. I've only tried the corn dogs so far (I think they're better than Morningstar Farms). I can't wait to try the others! I bought frozen tuno because I've heard its good, not like the can that smells and tastes like cat food.

I will add Chickett to my shopping list. I want to go back soon because they have a vegetarian cafe that's delicious! I had "Carnitas" yesterday (2 corn tortillas, fried gluten, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and tomato sauce). Very good!

Someone else recommended Skallops too, I'll have to try them too!

I saw all of the fake lunch meats... I almost bought some, but realized I have no more freezer space and I was already going to have problems fitting in what I already bought
I have more than 10 boxes of MF, some boca boxed, about 8 lean cuisines, and so much more. I need another freezer for my room
Next time, I'll buy one

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

I bought Leanies! I haven't tried them yet though. I also bought some corn dogs (which are the best I've had) and fillets. Tuno too. I need to go buy some hot dog buns today so I can have a leanie. I was going to buy the lunch "meat," but I was already worried about how much of what I already picked out was going to fit in my freezer. I have the freezer packed full
Next time i go (I might even go back today), I'll buy one of the faux sliced meats.

Next time you're in Riverside, stop by the Oasis Vegetarian Cafe, part of the La Sierra health store, and try the Carnitas! They're vegan and VERY good.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g_carnitas.jpg

I got mine without the onions. It comes with 2 corn tortillas, fried gluten, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and tomato sauce (like salsa). They have a few things that are vegan.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I bought Leanies! I haven't tried them yet though. I also bought some corn dogs (which are the best I've had) and fillets. Tuno too. I need to go buy some hot dog buns today so I can have a leanie. I was going to buy the lunch "meat," but I was already worried about how much of what I already picked out was going to fit in my freezer. I have the freezer packed full
Next time i go (I might even go back today), I'll buy one of the faux sliced meats.

Next time you're in Riverside, stop by the Oasis Vegetarian Cafe, part of the La Sierra health store, and try the Carnitas! They're vegan and VERY good.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g_carnitas.jpg

I got mine without the onions. It comes with 2 corn tortillas, fried gluten, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and tomato sauce (like salsa). They have a few things that are vegan.
That sounds good, I'll definitely have to try that. I've never been to a vegetarian restaurant so I'm looking forward to going to one. When I ate those hot dogs I would put it on a fork and hold it over the flame on the stove burner to cook it. Kind of like cooking over a campfire. I liked the flavor of the darkened areas. I'm going to have to write to worthington to make them vegan...I sure do miss those.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Danaskully: let us know how you like the other products. It's always interesting to hear other opinions...

Yes, I was raised vegetarian - my folks were medical-professionals yet sorta-organic-wholegrain-granola-hippies and believed it was more healthy... plus I was allergic to milk... however health food stores (and health food products) were VERY rare in the 60's/70's so we stopped off at the Loma Linda market whenever we were in the area...

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

That sounds good, I'll definitely have to try that. I've never been to a vegetarian restaurant so I'm looking forward to going to one. When I ate those hot dogs I would put it on a fork and hold it over the flame on the stove burner to cook it. Kind of like cooking over a campfire. I liked the flavor of the darkened areas. I'm going to have to write to worthington to make them vegan...I sure do miss those.
That was my first visit to one
It feels weird being able to order anything on the menu (as a vegetarian).

I'm going to cook my next one that way! I had a chili dog yesterday... it was pretty good. I used the leanies, whole wheat bun, and the Morningstar Farms chili. Are there any brands you know of that have vegan hot dogs? I haven't seen any yet.

I took a pic!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...4/chilidog.jpg

I thought the leanie was a little weird... too pink... but still better than the Morningstar Farms brand.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Danaskully: let us know how you like the other products. It's always interesting to hear other opinions...

Yes, I was raised vegetarian - my folks were medical-professionals yet sorta-organic-wholegrain-granola-hippies and believed it was more healthy... plus I was allergic to milk... however health food stores (and health food products) were VERY rare in the 60's/70's so we stopped off at the Loma Linda market whenever we were in the area...
Absolutely. Everything I bought is vegetarian though and not vegan, maybe your kids would enjoy them
The fillets aren't bad... it's actually weird how they get it to smell like fish and slightly taste like fish.

I think that's awesome! I plan on raising my kids vegetarian. I wish I was raised that way too, it would have made my life a lot easier (I've wanted to be a veg since I was little, but was always told I had to wait until I moved out).

It's crazy how long Worthington has been around. I have the Linda McCartney Homecooking cookbook that has pictures of the old Worthington boxes in the beginning. It's a very good book. I don't know how many of the recipes can be veganized though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.