VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make and have seitan on hand. So how is the best way to store it in the fridge and freezer? How long will it last in the fridge?

I've only made and used it right away, but I have tons of recipes that start off with premade seitan.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Cover it in broth and store it in the fridge; that's how I keep mine. I've read that it will store about a week this way.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool! thanks....do you know about the freezing part?

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I've sliced or prepped it in the desired size pieces, seasoned it and frozen it and it works nicely.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
If it's baked or steamed, I wrap it in plastic wrap then in foil and freeze it. If it's boiled, I'll freeze it in tupperware with some liquid. If it's sliced, like seitan pepperoni, I freeze the slices then put them in a ziplock bag.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok. thanks Meg...good to know!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I freeze in recipe-sized chunks (1 lb or 1/2 lb) - for seitan simmered in broth, I freeze it in the broth although I've read you can freeze it in bags without broth too. It should keep a couple of months in the freezer -- better if you don't have a self-defrosting freezer (less freezer burn).

To thaw, I'll either defrost in the fridge overnight (or a bit longer, often it still needs a little microwaving to thaw completely) or thaw in the microwave immediately before adding it to the recipe.

In the fridge, I'd say 3-5 days.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks you guys! I'm ready to make some up then, so I have it on hand!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been wrapping mine really tightly in plastic wrap and freezing. I actually like the texture once it's thawed. It's like how tofu changes a little when it's frozen too...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts