VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Put a heavy object on the tofu for two hours. Somthing like a frying pan with books stacked on top.

I usually don't go through the trouble of fully draining my tofu as I'd rather cook and eat then wait two hours and the meal still comes out good.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

Put a heavy object on the tofu for two hours. Somthing like a frying pan with books stacked on top.
Yes, and do it on a slight incline so the liquid can run off (into a sink, say).

·
Registered
326 Posts
I slice it into 4 "steaks" then microwave it for 2 minutes. Drain the water, then microwave again, and repeat until there's no more water to drain (3 or 4 times).

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

I slice it into 4 "steaks" then microwave it for 2 minutes. Drain the water, then microwave again, and repeat until there's no more water to drain (3 or 4 times).
That sounds like a cool way to do it!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Wow. The microwave technique sounds interesting!

I don't drain mine either. I never heard of draining tofu until I came here and I've been cooking with it for 20+ years... Just use firmer tofu if you want a less "juicy" texture.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My method is really simple.

Place tofu into colander.

Place colander into kitchen sink.

Place plate on top of tofu.

Place 2 or 3 large cans of beans, or tomatoes on top of the plate.

Leave for about 30 min. to an hour.

I've never had any problems doing it this way and it's easy clean-up too.

Michelle

·
Registered
114 Posts
I freeze mine when I buy it. When I want to use it, I defrost it in the microwave (same as you would meat), and then remove it from the container and squeeze with my hands until most of the water drains out. I found that this is the easiest way...it doesn't take much time or effort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts