VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been a full vegetarian for over a month now! I've mostly found the transition really easy, and have found lots of great new foods. I'm having fun in the kitchen with new recipes (Hello Egyptian food!)...and I feel great about actively doing something to support my beliefs every single day ! So overall, Im happy!

I haven't really had meat cravings, because I never was a big meat eater to begin with. But yesterday I finally got hit! I was thinking about sausage and french toast, and then I almost gave in to my spicy tuna roll craving. I didn't give in, but it was a weird experience.

So what do you guys do when you get a meat craving? How often does it happen? And any ideas on spicy tuna roll alternative?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
What you may think is a meat craving could actually be a craving for any number of things. Eat something with some oil in it and plenty of protein. In most cases when I'm really hungry it turns out I needed one of those two things.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I read a book (The Flexitarian Diet) that is for people trying to eat 'less' meat, but the relevant concept is the same. What you think of as 'meaty' taste is a taste called 'unami' which can be satisfied by things like grilled mushrooms, seaweed (example veggie 'sushi') and other savoury/salty non-meat foods. I've also never really liked the taste of meat, there are a couple of things I like but I only ate them rarely anyway. I didn't think I liked mushrooms because I'd only ever had canned ones, but I found that love grilled ones.

·
Banned
437 Posts
I always liked sausage too. When I crave it, I use Field Roast - ever tried it? It's wonderful. Their Italian 'sausages' are probably my favorite. You can crumble them and sautee them in olive oil and toss them with a pasta dish, but they're also great sliced, grilled and eaten on bread with home-roasted red peppers. Amazing.

How about vegetarian sushi? I've heard folks on here talking about it in a very positive light!

What I thought at first were "meat cravings" turned out to be, for me at least, cravings for a particular sort of meal . I missed having a burger and fries, but not because of the beef in the burger - it'd be because of the greasy, hearty saltiness of it all. A good veggie burger loaded with onions, pickles, mustard and avocado is every bit as wonderful.

Also, falafel was an amazing discovery for me. It has the hearty, filling denseness that meat sort of has (as I recall).

Meat substitutes may not be the best thing off which to live, but definitely try a few to see if that helps. They make breakfast sausages, meatless bacon, frankfurters, deli slices, all kinds of vegetarian things.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone

I guess with the french toast & sausage, Im really missing the maple syrup mixed with the greasy sausage! I'll have to try one of the substitutes.
I know with the sushi, I'm probably missing the rice/seaweed and spicy aspects. I'll have to try the veggie alternatives, but definitely on a day where I'm not tempted at all! (takeout!)

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySunshine View Post

So what do you guys do when you get a meat craving? How often does it happen? And any ideas on spicy tuna roll alternative?
I never had spicy tuna rolls when I was omni, so I'm not sure if this compares, but it does taste good. It's the Spicy Tempeh Nori Rolls recipe in Veganomicon. Tempeh is very versatile and quickly absorbs the spices and flavors around it. In this recipe it is poached then mixed with Vegenaise and hot chile oil to provide the creamy part of the filling. The rest of the roll consists of avocado and scallions.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You could use Lightlife sausage in the roll...and make your own patties or links with maple syrup mixed in. Add a little oil if you need to for the greasiness factor.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I don't have them anymore, but back in the days i made sure to always have some nice veggie burgers in my freezer

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
You could try frying eggplant pieces in olive oil and garlic, and then serving with a tomato, garlic sauce. Eggplant can be a bit similar to sausage if it is grilled in oil.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have veggie burgers and crumbles in my freezer in case I get a craving, I really don't need all of that meat stuff while fighting my health right now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySunshine View Post

I was thinking about sausage and french toast, and then I almost gave in to my spicy tuna roll craving. I didn't give in, but it was a weird experience.
Let me tell you, breakfast sausage was always my favourite kind of meat, and I LOVE the vegetarian versions out there. Better than the real thing, IMO. My favourites are the kind that comes in a tube (forget the brand, but it's usually near the tofu at the store) and the Field Roast Apple Sage sausages. French toast you can do if you are lacto-ovo, but if you don't eat eggs there is a French toast recipe in I think Vegan With a Vengeance? I've been veg too long to really get legit meat cravings, but I still eat fake meat on a fairly regular basis (once or twice a week maybe). LOL my husband has been veg for a year, and he eats fake meat aaalllll the time. Probably not the best for him, but he eats lots of veg, too, so I'm not worried : )

·
Registered
585 Posts
gardein beefless tips and chipotle lime chick'n fingers are the closest faux meats I've found...for when you absolutely must.

BUT I stay away from faux meat as much as possible b/c I feel like they kinda egg on my meat cravings. Kinda like the salt/fat/sugar combo..the more you eat the more you want...or the more I want anyway!

The best for me has been really thorough meal planning, making sure I'm getting all the nutrients/protien/etc/etc I need during the week so I don't start craving random things.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
What meat cravings? I've been veg for nearly 16 years. After about two years I had a desire and ate a bit...nearly gagged me to death.
Believe me. Stay true to your commitment. You can find recipes that add so much flavor you will never want to eat flesh ever again. Truly!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have this image in my head that makes it easy for me to pass on the meat. When I was a kid, growing up in the "old South", I saw various animals slaughtered for meat. Pretty much everything from a cow to a chicken. There is no humane slaughter. When I recall what I have seen I don't crave meat. I would eat meat if life depended on it but, we know that it doesn't. I have a grip on compassion. Eating meat necessarily requires a suspension of compassion. ie.. I suffer when I eat meat and it will be a suffering that will take a while before I can get back to where I was. Living in stark truth with one's self is liberating but, there is no freedom without discipline.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts