VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there's much difference health-wise in the water that we drink. I've been drinking Arrowhead spring water typically but am wondering if drinking distilled water is better/worse. Also, I've heard some good things about the effects of "alkaline water" but haven't found a cheap way to alkalize. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Distilled water can deplete your body of electrolytes and salts and contains no minerals.

As far as the good things you've heard about alkaline water, do you know if they are actually true? There is a lot of misinformation out there about pH diets that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I'm all about the tap water filtered through my Brita. (Albany tap water tastes like funk if you drink it straight)

·
Registered
231 Posts
"A 2001 World Wildlife Fund (WWF) study confirmed the widespread belief that consumers associate bottled water with social status and healthy living.Their perceptions trump their objectivity, because even some people who

claim to have switched to bottled water "for the taste" can't tell the

difference:"

From what I have read, there is no difference between bottled water and Brita filtered water from your tap. Most likely, the bottled water actually comes from a plant (factory) that just does the same thing, filters the water. It is a huge waste to do this and ship it all over the country.

I think people feel it is cleaner simply because of the package it comes in, and I can understand that. But in my opinon, it's a HUGE waste, and they're foolin yah.

I think some (few) companies truly do get their water from springs, but I do not know which ones. Again, there isn't much difference taste-wise and health wise to just to get it from your tap (filtered).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1309841.stm

http://www.organicconsumers.org/food...ater121003.cfm

I keep a pitcher of my Brita water in the fridge 'cause I like it cold. Also, I have two water bottles that I constantly refill and use them when leaving the house. It's just as good, and in some cases, better.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It also depends on where you live. My hometown, Cologne, promotes the tap water as The Water of Cologne is good! (Dat Wasser vun Kölle is joot) and you can't tell difference to botteled still water. But I do as the Romans did, nearly 200 years ago - I bottle my own water from a spring in the Eifel mountains, every time I pay a visit to my brother's home there.

If your tap water tastes good, why invest in bottled water, that has travelled far? If you find a spring, bottle your own water.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've drank tap water (in the various locations I've lived) all my life. I think it all tastes fine and haven't had any adverse reactions to it. I definitely can't afford to drink bottled water on a constant basis.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tap water or filtered tap water is best. I avoid ALL bottled water b/c not only is bottled water often less pure than tap water, but the bottled water industry itself is a major contributor to environmental decline.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Totally agree re: the enviromental issues associated with bottled water. That's why I like getting my water in 5 gallon reusable jugs. Much less waste...

I do live in Los Angeles and the water here is pretty bad. Chlorine and a lot of other not so good stuff...

In terms of alkaline water, the book Fantastic Voyage had a lot of good stuff to say about the benefits. However, I agree that the scientific evidence for the benefits of alkaline water is probably not there.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The water in Winnipeg is awful, even through the Brita. I have a 1L bottle that I keep refilling at a water store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts