VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to look through old threads to find some opinions on the most well rounded supplements for a young female vegetarian.... I tend to think women and men have different nutrient needs. Any advice? I'm about out of my old stuff and am going to be buying some new vitamins and would love some opinions

Thanx

·
Registered
516 Posts
Good luck! I posted the same question, and I generally received little information in the way of what is good versus what people use.

My first purchase has been the Deva Multi. It does the job, but I am looking into others. I do not wish to rest upon just one, as there are so many out there to try. (If only they were cheaper!)

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is expensive-lol. That's dissapointing that you got little info- I'm sorry. I saw that thread and thought I'd try again. I talked to the vitamin lady at my local health food store and she confused me greatly. She suggested this and that and wouldn't really help me in the vegetarian area. I pointed out the various veg supplements and asked her opinion on those specifically but she kept steering me towards ones that clearly had gelatin in them and listed different fish as ingredients.

Chello... I'm not going to buy those!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am going to bump this, because while I hate to be a pesk - I would really enjoy a good answer on this, and I bet the OP would as well.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I get Nature Made B12, and as a vegetarian that should be the only vitamin you need.

However, you can get huge value bottles of Kirkland multivitamins. The downside is the multivitamin is so big it looks like it was made for horses and cows.

I only take iron and B12.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Seeing as I do not normally consume fortified foods, I need iron, B12, and Vitamin D as well.

I will check those brands out, though.

EDIT

Kirkland appears to have gelatin. Avoid that, I shall.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've just been doing the women's one a day. I didn't think to check for gelatin or fish tho....Either way it's been doing the trick for me :)

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vitamins are tricky... I want something that has omega's, B-12, Iron, and calcium. Some of the supplements at my health food store lack one thing or another. Almost all of the vitamins at the grocery store have fish and gelatin (including the women's one-a-day that I used to Love). So I guess I'll just do some research and try some to figure it out

·
Registered
85 Posts
I currently take Schiff Vegetarian Multiple. It seems good. It doesn't have gelatin in it and is "especially formulated for the unique nutritional needs of vegetarians" according to the label. I got it quickly and cheaply through Amazon.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I take the one by the Vegan Society at the moment. It's called Veg 1 and I like it so far. It contains B2, B6, B12, Folic Acid, D, Iodine and Selenium. I don't feel like I need the ones at the supermarkets which seem to give me tons of stuff I'm sure I'm getting like vitamin C and Iron and stuff. I like this one because it's designed specifically to help you out in things a vegan diet is more likely to be low in, because it's guaranteed to be vegan, and because it has quite a pleasant appley flavour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.