VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're having pancakes tomorrow instead of on pancake day and I need some good recipes-I've tried one before but it was quite doughy and not like normal pancakes...Any ideas?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Pancake day?!?

Pancakes -

1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp canola oil
1/3 cup water
1 to 1 1/4 soy milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup blueberries (optional)

Directions

Mix all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl mix all wet ingredients together. Then incorporate the wet into the dry and cook on a sprayed skillet until golden.

Number of Servings: 3

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehe, do people not have pancake day in the US?! I didn't know that

Thanks for the recipe, it looks great-does the mix have to set at all? The other recipe I tried had to be left for half an hour.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Pancake day should only come on weekends-or a day off!

These are by far my favorite-

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Mix in bowl.

1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup silken tofu (I had firm)
2 Tbls. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbls. oil
Whisk together till well blended, then mix with dry ingredients

I use a seasoned cast iron lightly oiled for these. They really didn't bubble, but do rise.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Looking at "English" pancakes. They say more crape like. I may like those. The American is so thick after a few bites I get sick of it. Yet another different food thing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pancake day is every shrove tuesday (next tuesday this month)! Have you really not heard of it?

I'm not sure if we have silken tofu at the moment but thanks for the recipe-how much do they rise?
Actually, what sort of pancakes are these recipes for? I know some are thicker than others, I'm looking for the thin ones that you can wrap things in (the ones that look like tortillas).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Looking at "English" pancakes. They say more crape like. I may like those. The American is so thick after a few bites I get sick of it. Yet another different food thing.
Yes, I think thats what I meant

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
They do rise-I like mine thick yet light.
if you use only 1 cup flour and 1/2 tsp. baking powder this is similiar to crepe recipes I've seen. I can never get crepes to come out right

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Pancake day should only come on weekends-or a day off!

These are by far my favorite-

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Mix in bowl.

1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup silken tofu (I had firm)
2 Tbls. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbls. oil
Whisk together till well blended, then mix with dry ingredients

I use a seasoned cast iron lightly oiled for these. They really didn't bubble, but do rise.
We used this one and they were really good! Thank you!

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post

Hehe, do people not have pancake day in the US?! I didn't know that

Thanks for the recipe, it looks great-does the mix have to set at all? The other recipe I tried had to be left for half an hour.
Nearly all pancakes are better if they are left to sit for a few minutes.

The ones in the recipe I posted are probably considered to be more thickish than thinnish. But they have a lovely, not too heavy, flavor.

So on pancake days, do you eat pancakes all day, or just at one particular meal? And what do you wrap in yours?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
So I googled, and Shrove Tuesday is mardi gras.
I think pancake day is a custom we should all embrace.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

My favourite ones are made with buckwheat flour. Savoury never sweet.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have just made some buckwheat vegan pancakes and served them with Walden Farm pancake syrup '0' calories. The syrup gave them a very luxurious touch and had a slight maple flavour.

They came out very light, delicious and didn't stick at all.

It is a very easy recipe and you can have them either as a dessert or make a savoury meal out of them.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I love pancakes and pancake recipes. There is a buckwheat recipe in the Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease book I love.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I love pancakes and pancake recipes. There is a buckwheat recipe in the Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease book I love.
I love buckwheat and it does give a wondferul nutty flavour to any recipe. There has been a study stating that it is beneficial for lowering bad cholesterol.

In 1997, a Japanese study concluded that a protein found in buckwheat significantly reduced the cholesterol level in rats given a high-cholesterol diet. Rats that were not fed a high-cholesterol diet only showed a slight drop in cholesterol level after eating buckwheat. A study in a small Chinese population found that eating oats and buckwheat plays a role in preventing and treating both high blood pressure and high cholesterol. A separate study led by Standard Process Inc. and the University of Wisconsin-Madison suggests that buckwheat protein decreases the absorption of cholesterol

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/21...#ixzz1nVpJMfa0

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

So on pancake days, do you eat pancakes all day, or just at one particular meal? And what do you wrap in yours?
You just eat pancakes some time, on that day. Usually we have ours after dinner for dessert, and you toss them in the pan to turn them over. Sometimes people do sponsered pancake tosses.

Lemon and sugar is the classic filling. I also like chocolate spread (sometimes with banana) and just golden syrup.

Last year we made pancakes stuffed with roast vegetables, rolled up with a spicey tomato sauce/curry poured over them, and then baked for half an hour. TO DIE FOR.

I just find a normal recipe and replace each egg with a dessert spoon of corn flour and milk with any kind of vegan milk. Too much corn flour makes them rubbery, not enough and they fall apart. I usually under do the cornflour and do one to test it first, and add more if needed. I also often add vanilla extract and a little salt for flavour. You could also fry them in half oil half vegan margerine for some flavour too (just margerine I find doesn't get hot enough for good pancakes).

For savoury pancakes using half normal flour, half gram flour, and just adding vegan milk works perfectly, with no rubbery texture/flavour problems because the gram flour adds a nice flavour and texture. I find the flavour of the gram flour not right for sweet pancakes though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts