VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to expand my veg cookbooks..Right now I have:

The Passionate Vegetarian and Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

I am vegetarian not vegan though I would love some really comprehensive Vegan cookbooks.

Also I am not a great cook so cookbooks with easy not so expensive ingredients and processes..Anyway..What ar eyour faves and why?

I LOVE the Passionate Vegetarian because it is like reading a novel. BUT most of the recipes are things I cannot even buy at our local health food store...

Amy

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I don't have many vegetarian cookbooks, because I'm cheap and I just get recipes for free online
(I'm only partially joking). However, I do recommend "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World", and not just because they are vegan cupcakes, but because they are great. I think everyone who has a sweet tooth should have this book, regardless of whether they eat animal products or not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess my question is: Are there any good veg(vegetarian or vegan) cookbooks that have easy to cook food with ingredients that I can buy at the local decently stocked supermarket?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Some of my favorites, which should have ingredients you can find at a decently stocked grocery store, and generally don't require hours of dicing and prep work:

Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites

Lean Bean Cuisine (by Jay Solomon)

Lean, Luscious and Meatless

The Student's Vegetarian Cookbook

How it All Vegan

The Garden of Vegan

La Dolce Vegan

If you're cooking for a family, also look at Vegan Family Favorites. Vegetarian Times also has a Low Fat and Fast series that is pretty good, but I never end up using the recipes.

I saw Moosewood Resturants has a new cookbook of Simple Suppers that looked really good. I haven't bought it yet, so I can't comment on the quality of this particular cookbook from them, but is is on my Amazon wish list now.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas! I got it for Christmas and I love it. I have another of Nava Atlas' cookbooks that is also really good (a 30 min meals type) The Vegetarian Times cookbook is a good standby for stuff.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I must be the only person unimpressed by Vegan with a Vengance. I bought the cookbook nearly a year ago and haven't made a single thing out of it. Fortunately, it was cheap.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I must be the only person unimpressed by Vegan with a Vengance. I bought the cookbook nearly a year ago and haven't made a single thing out of it. Fortunately, it was cheap.
i learned about this site from that book

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I still think Vegan Planet is one of the best vegan books out there. Probably the "weirdest" ingredient it asks for is tahini or quinoa. I think it will call for some faux meats here & there, but not often. It's mostly stuff you can find anywhere. And the recipes are easy. And not weird vegan food. (you know, like brown rice meatballs with cheezy nutritional yeast sauce or something gross like that).

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I just bought Vegan with a vengance and vegan cupcakes take over the world. I like them both very much.

I also like How it all Vegan and The Garden of Vegan.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I love

vegetarian family cookbook.....nava atlas

vegan family favorites

these both have all "normal" ingredients, easy to find.

and the one by nava has vegan versions of the recipes.

i also use vegan with a vengeance

and vegan cupcakes.......both good, but not ones i use regularly.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Quote:

That's the first time I've heard that!

What I like about VwaV is that almost all of the recipes come out well. I hate when I get a cookbook and half of the recipes are just inedible.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I only have a few veg*n cookbooks, but I like How it all Vegan and Vegan with a Vengeance. I haven't made very many things from the latter, but everything I've made has been really good. I'm addicted to the fronch toast.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:

I must be the only person unimpressed by Vegan with a Vengance.
Eh... no... I'm with you. I got it for Christmas and haven't been impressed. Tried two recipes but they less than 'WOW'-ed me... sorry, but I'll stick to my own cooking.

If I'm gonna use a cookbook, I much prefer Bryanna Clark Grogan's books and of course Nava Atlas, hands down. (Maybe I'm biased 'cause Nava just used a recipe of mine in her updated 'Vegetarian Soups' book... woo!
)

OH, but my main reason for posting here!!!

I also just bought the COOLEST cookbook for my 7-year-old, called "USBorne Cooking School: Vegetarian Cooking for Beginners". It's by USBorne Books (a children's educational book company) and has the most awesome and S-I-M-P-L-E recipes with step-by-step illustrations and photos.

My daughter's already made three recipes and loved them (they were really good!) and wants to try more.

It's written for kids, but I highly recommend this book for ANYONE who's absolutely never cooked before or really hasn't any clue about cooking terms or utinsels, it is AWESOME!! About half the recipes are VEGAN too!! (there's several 'USBorne' distributors here on VB I believe where you could probably order it, "Peacecat" comes to mind, and I think a couple others I can't remember...)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm a cookbook-aholic. I have a shelf full of them and I keep adding more.

Some of my favourites are:

Vegan Family Favorites by Erin Pavlina

The Jumbo Vegetarian Cookbook (Kids Can Press Jumbo Book) - Not vegan but the recipes are great for kids to cook with

The Almost No-Fat Cookbook: Everyday Vegetarian Recipes by Bryanna Clark Grogan

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein. Pretty much olive oil, veggies, rice, pasta, and beans for every recipe. Most of the recipes are simple, and everything we have tried is really good. The Cannellini beans with kale is one of the best dishes I have ever eaten - ever! We have it once a week at least!

I also like Vegan Planet, Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, and Living Cuisine.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
TNS! I am going to order the usborne book you mentioned, i have an usborne catalogue in front of me right now and i see it, i know my 6 yo dd will love it, she is always in the kitchen with me, and she got Salad People out of the library last trip and loved that!

my friend sells usborne books, i am calling her tomorrow. we love usborne books and have several

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.