VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an awesome tofutti coupon - any product worth up to $3.99 for free! Thing is, I'm not huge on dairy subs. Well, not enough so that I'd use it on myself when I have a chance at using it for my mom. She's definitely addicted to dairy - I bet it makes up a third of her diet(well.. almost)! We already got the ice cream sandwiches, which she thinks are fine, but they certainly can't compare to "the real stuff".

So before I decide what to have her try, I'd like input from you guys.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Awww... I was going to suggest the icecream sandwiches. Those are the absolute best toffuti product. You could try better than cream cheese or sour supreme, but I would recomend having your mom try them in a recipie like an artichoke dip, not just plain. I don't really like them plain -like just some of the cream cheese on a bagel or the sour supreme on a potato.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I like Better Than Cream Cheese plain on a bagel, but I can tell that it's not quite like the real thing. I agree with synergy that it's probably best to make her some kind of flavored dip or spread using either the "cream cheese" or "sour cream."

You could try this olive dip recipe from my mom. It's great with crackers or raw veggies. I bet it would make a nummy sandwich spread, too. If doing it with Tofutti BTCC, I'd add a little lemon juice or vinegar to replace the tang of real cream cheese.

Quote:
GARLIC AND OLIVE VEGGIE DIP

1 8-oz. pkg. Cream cheese

2 cloves garlic

¼ cup chopped black olives

Milk

Salt and Pepper to taste

Soften cream cheese and stir in enough milk to make a smooth dip consistency. Put garlic through garlic press and stir into cream cheese along with olives. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I generally use the canned chopped olives and find that ¼ cup is almost the entire can so dump it all in.

You can use 2 cups cottage cheese instead of cream cheese if desired.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The "Better Pecan" ice cream is the best Tofutti anything I've had. It seems that all of their so-called vanilla flavored ice cream tastes like butterscotch, even if it's cooies and cream, it tastes like cookies and cream, and butterscotch. With that in mind, I think the Better Pecan flavor is awesome, and has no funky soy tastes. I think it beats any of the cream cheese or sour cream things.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I like the Better Than Cream Cheese in pies or dips. I think the ice cream is inferior to most other vegan brands, though.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
There aren't any Toffuti products that an omni would like better than the real thing. None. Get another pack of the Toffuti Cuties... they're the best Toffuti product out there, even if they're not as good as the real stuff.

(Or get some of the Toffuti cheese slices which are a great alternative to Ipecac syrup when you need to induce vomitting!)

·
Registered
747 Posts
that's odd...everyone (I think about 7 or 8 people now) that has tried the Tofutti Sandwiches that I offered them thought they were great and couldn't tell the difference...

11,550 Posts
i'd go with the better than cream cheese too. to be honest, i've not tried anything else made by them apart from the chocolate fudge ripple icecream, which i was mightily unimpressed with, i might add.... but i really really liked the creamcheese stuff.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I didn't notice any difference between the Cuties and real ice cream sandwiches either, and I think of myself as a pretty discriminating taster of foods. But apparently there are a number of people here who are even more discriminating than me. There are numerous people who don't think Vegenaise tastes like mayonnaise, and I think they taste exactly the same. There are also several people who claim they detect the taste of mushrooms in Quorn, which I just can't understand.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

There are numerous people who don't think Vegenaise tastes like mayonnaise, and I think they taste exactly the same.
No way. Taste a spoon of each and there's a very dramatic difference. (I can't decide which one I like better, but I tend to buy vegenaise just because).

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Maybe that's why I think they taste the same-- I wouldn't dream of sticking a spoonful of mayonnaise OR Vegenaise in my mouth. The only way I taste either is spread on sandwich or mixed in a salad. And they taste the same to me. Now Nayonaise tastes like wallpaper paste.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I used to think mayonnaise was disgusting. I actually like Vegenaise, FWIW.

I prefer the Soy Delicious (or So Delicious now, probably) soy ice cream sandwiches better than Tofutti Cuties.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Tofutti Cuties (the traditional vanilla with chocolate wafers kind) is definitely the best introduction to vegan ice cream. It's not necessarily the best tasting, but it provides the least contrast between the omni version and the vegan version. Most soy cream I've had does not taste anything like its dairy version. Not to say I don't love the stuff.

Oops: I just reread the original post. Switching away from dairy also simply has to be something the person is convinced is a good thing. I've yet to have a real deadringer for good ice cream, but there is definitely good soy cream. Think "Pure Decadence".

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I like the Better Than Sour Cream quite well. Mix a tablespoon or so of it with your favorite salsa, and serve it with bean burritos or chips.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, guys, I'm thinking I'll probably get the sour cream and make something with it. =) Haha, if I have to I'll dilute it with the real thing. She likes garlic, so I might try your idea, tesseract.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just tried "better than cream cheese" and it's REALLY GOOD and surprisingly similar to regular cream cheese, in my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts