VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This here is an omnivore, and here is her status today:

OMG. can't. sit. on. my. hands. any. longer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tell her to consume her child out of the hubbie's hands.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
You could send a private message that says something along the lines of:

"I noticed your post about how some people treat pets like they're disposable. You're right that animals have feelings too. They're a lot like us. Did you know that pigs are smarter than dogs and feel the same emotions? It's true! But pigs are treated like they're disposable by anyone who eats pork, ham, or bacon. Chickens, cows, turkeys, and fish also feel pain and have feelings like sadness and lonliness. And you know, it's not just that they're lives are disposable and they're killed. They're also almost always treated cruelly before they're killed! They're treated like meat while they're still alive! It's just horrible. You can see for yourself at meatvideo.com if you don't believe me. Anyway, I just wanted to give you some vegan food for thought since you seem to care about animals. Take care!"

·
Registered
8,743 Posts

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Posting veg*n links dont make omnis think differently. as they already think of cows/chickens/sheep as food....try something a little more subtle...like this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-t...?ref=fb&src=sp
That's not true - look at the success that Eugene is having with his site. They may think of animals as food, but many don't know how abysmally they're treated.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

That's not true - look at the success that Eugene is having with his site. They may think of animals as food, but many don't know how abysmally they're treated.
posting veg*n links doesnt make *some* omnis think differently...

I posted a link of a bunny on a plate set up like a roast dinner and links to a UK show called 'KILL IT COOK IT EAT IT'... the omnis who viewed them said it made no difference to the way they thought..

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

posting veg*n links doesnt make *some* omnis think differently...

I posted a link of a bunny on a plate set up like a roast dinner and links to a UK show called 'KILL IT COOK IT EAT IT'... the omnis who viewed them said it made no difference to the way they thought..
Then I'm not sure what your point is because that's pretty much the idea of the other link you posted (comparing pigs to dogs), saying it might be effective.

Different things work on different people, and some people will never care no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Because its too direct to show obviously veg*n food links...The link I posted pulls on the heart strings with puppies...omnis are outraged THEN they find out its factory farming of pigs for food.
It worked on converting two of my omni friends

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I'm glad it worked on them, but when I was an omni that's not how I came about. I saw what happened to the actual food animals, and that changed me. Point being, I wouldn't say links to whyvegan or earthlings don't work, but different things work for different peope.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great responses!

I don't usually see an opportunity like this on FB- but I do see it as a positive opening to help her see how horribly animals are treated like the "pet animals" that she loves and wants to protect.

I know the other girl who agreed with her- she is also an omni.

I have been debating a pm or saying it on her wall, I have gotten huge backlash for simply stating I was vegan before on my wall and had to delete my post after all heck broke loose. I know others who will just open it up to a huge debate and I don't have the energy for it today, even though it probably is my duty to do so, given the opportunity.

I will sit on this a bit longer, but I should say something before it is no longer fresh. There were a couple of other people agreeing with her, i feel like I should say something to them too, but don't know them.

Anyhoo- I wanted to share- I thought it funny that she left herself wide open to vegetarian propaganda, I never see anything like this!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I have been debating a pm or saying it on her wall, I have gotten huge backlash for simply stating I was vegan before on my wall and had to delete my post after all heck broke loose. I know others who will just open it up to a huge debate and I don't have the energy for it today, even though it probably is my duty to do so, given the opportunity.
My opinion on this is that it's not necessary to have to have the debate if you're not up for it - I personally would post what I said publicly, and let the links speak for themselves. It doesn't matter how other people respond - you got the info out there, and some of them may decide to look.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Irizary was right in saying that different things work for different people. I really think that you should just say something, virtually anything. You can do it privately or publicly, you can leave links or not, it's up to you. Just say something!
The only thing necessary for evil ito triumph is for good people to say and do nothing. Say something.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Molly - re. not debating it - sometimes when I need to say something about animals on a message board of some kind,and I know it will be controversial or general negative responses, I make my post and purposely never check back. There are times that I know I don't want to deal with the crap, don't have the time for a debate, and don't want to be pained by the idiocy, but I want to leave information for anyone who is interested. So I'd just leave the public message and leave it at that if you need to.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Hi Christina!
I saw your discussion about how much you love animals and hate to see them treated that way. I couldn't agree more!
I love dogs, and pet animals, but I also feel all animals are created equal. I feel the same way about cows, chickens, and pigs as I do dogs. It disheartened me so much to find out how they were treated and tortured in factory farms across the country, recently. It was very shocking and eye opening when I watched a small video a while ago, and I have found out much more since then.

http://www.meat.org/

I know this is probably an unexpected message, but I have been thinking about what you wrote earlier, and thought you might be open to seeing what is really going on behind closed doors. If you are not interested, just disregard this message. If I have sparked your interest, here are some more links:

http://www.earthlings.com/earthlings/video-full.php
http://www.whyvegan.com
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-t...?ref=fb&src=sp

thanks for listening,
Molly
I sent her a pm!

I did because one of the girls who responded to her would have torn me apart, and I don't feel educated enough for battle. I also know its not like a message board where I can disappear- its facebook and everyone and everything is linked. Sometimes it shares comments I made on other peoples walls- like my mothers, co-workers- I learned my lesson earlier- I just can't discuss how I feel about this subject with people who don't want to listen, especially friends and family.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts