VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some silken tofu for the first time. I have ever only had it in miso soup. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Tofu chocolate pudding. A bit of margarine, maple syrup/liquid sweetener, cocoa powder, a dash of vanilla and whizz in a blender. Oooh yeah.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My favourite is an onion and thyme tart. It's basicly pastry (I make wholemeal with walnuts but any is fine as long as its shortcrust) with saute-d red onions, thyme, sugar and seasoning, then whizz silken tofu, soya cream and mustard in the blender untill smooth and thick (you basicly just want a thick smooth consistancy), then put the onions in the pastry case (that's been blind baked for 10min prior) and pour the tofu-mix ontop! Bake in the oven (200c ish) untill set. SO easy and really tasty and delicious, it's a big win with a lot of omnis/people who have a tofu-fear!

Another good use is a chocolate mousse icing for cakes - I got my recipe from Vegan cupcakes take over the world! Or silken-tofu "cheese cake" works supprisingly well, even I didn't believe a vegan-cheesecake would work and be delicious untill I did it!

Happy cooking!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i second the chocolate mousse, and you can also use leftovers in smoothies.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh so it is mostly for sweet stuff?

what happens if I like throw it in a stir fry? It melts?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
haven't tried it for cooking with, although you probably could find some cream sauces to make with it. it's very soft and doesn't hold it's shape well.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMiss View Post

oh so it is mostly for sweet stuff?

what happens if I like throw it in a stir fry? It melts?
It won't melt, but it will smush when you stir it. It'll become something more like cottage cheese.

That said, silken tofu does work well in things like casseroles, lasagna, and even home-made veggie burgers.

You can throw it in with green smoothies, and you can also blend it with a blender or mix it with an electric mixer to make it creamy so you can stir it into batters and doughs...like pancakes, corn bread, etc...

I LOVE this recipe I found in "Soy Not Oi" for french toast.
I don't have the book on hand, but if memory serves, you just put the block of silken tofu in a blender, with some soy milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pour this into a plate, coat slices of bread on each side and fry them in a skillet. Serve with maple syrup.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I LOVE this recipe I found in "Soy Not Oi" for french toast.
I don't have the book on hand, but if memory serves, you just put the block of silken tofu in a blender, with some soy milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pour this into a plate, coat slices of bread on each side and fry them in a skillet. Serve with maple syrup.
That does sound pretty good indeed.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

That does sound pretty good indeed.
It is awesome!!!

Just a tiny little bit of nutmeg, and take it easy on the cinnamon.

It fries up to a really nice golden brown, and even has a bit of crispness to it!!!

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Vegan quiche! Make it! Sooooo good.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanx everyone!
I will try all your suggestions. They all sound wonderful!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You didn't specify if it was firm or soft silken tofu, which makes a big difference.
If it's firm, I'd go with *AHIMSA*'s suggestion here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

If it's soft, it will lend itself well to blending to make a sauce. If you don't already have Quick & Easy Vegan Comfort Food, I recommend buying that, and flip to the vegan fettucine alfredo. Make the first recipe for it, there's two (haven't tried the second yet) - soooo unbelievably good!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I've always used reg. firm tofu in quiches and, and things like ricotta.
Silken makes the best shake! Frozen strawberries, and/or bananas, whirred with just enough soft silken tofu and soymilk in a good blender (let dethaw if not a vitamix). You can freeze choc soymilk in cube trays for chocolate shake.
Vegan Planet has a great banana swirl cheezecake with silk tofu.

·
Registered
468 Posts
silken tofu is good for use in baking or smoothies when you want something that will come out creamy...its a great egg replacer for brownies like ashlend said and some other dishes too, or blend it and add it to a soup to make it creamy.

as an egg replacer, it helps to thicken things kind of how an egg binds things together. use 4oz. of silken tofu blended with 1-2 tbsp. flour for each egg. this works better in some dishes than in others. I've heard of people using it when making their own veggie burgers too since it doesn't have a lot of flavor but will help hold things together.

firm tofu is good for stir fries, grilling, marinating etc. since it has less water.

my fav recipe for silken tofu...http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...d&daysprune=-1, I make 2 at a time and freeze one for later.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Any tips on how to make one. I tried google and theyre all a bit complex for me...I have basic cooking skills (stews/pastas/cakes etctec)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts