VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uni starts up in a week! And as with most other uni students, I am poor in terms of both money and time. I've been thinking about the best ways to keep myself well fed and energised when I'm going to be out of the house from 8 or 9 in the morning until around 9:30 at night, and I think I'm going to be best off cooking a meal to serve three or four of myself twice a week, then refrigerate it and take the servings with me in the morning.

To do this though, I'd really appreciate some ideas about what ingredients refrigerate well, and don't need to be put in a microwave/in the oven/on the stove before eating. My first thought is stirfry, followed by curries... But I only know one stirfry recipe, and nothing for curry, so I'm a bit lost as to what will still be good after a couple of days in the fridge, then sitting in a bag while the day is anything from 10C to 41C.

SO. To summarise and stop the rambling. On a student budget, what ingredients refridgerate well? Do you have any favourite recipes that leave you with delicious leftovers?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
stick to basics like peanut butter sandwiches (add bananas, raisins, cinnamon, use different nut butters, different flavor jelly for variety), fruits and cut up veggies with hummus/dressing/nutbutter, and trail mixes. other sandwich ideas are avocado/tomato, chickpea salad (similar to tuna salad lots of recipes on vb), and portabello mushroom w sprouts.

i recently made chex mix and it was really easy cheap and you can make a huge batch that lasts a week or two in an air tight container. the recipe is on the back of chex mix boxes, you can put whatever you like to snack on like pretzels, garlic chips, mixed nuts. makes a good snack and with enough nuts you get a small meal pretty much

burritos and wraps are easy to make and take with you all day. fill up with rice or other grains like quinoa, beans or lentils, nut cheese or hummus, veggies etc. The foods you would prepare ahead of time would be the grains and the beans.

a rice cooker and a crock pot would be good appliances to have and use, you can cook your grains and beans to use during the week easily.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
really easy dish:

make up a big batch of rice, add a chunky salsa to pan and rice, so that it isn't dry (can't tell you how much, as it depends on how much rice you made), add some more beans and corn if you want, then add some chili powder and cumin and you can have that mix in stuffed pepper halves (microwaved), or wrap them up burrito style.

This will keep nicely all week in your fridge, and if it starts getting dry, add a little more salsa to it, for moisture.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like to make a big batch of black bean and corn salsa, a big batch of rice, and have some lettuce, onion, cucumber, peppers, and other veggies chopped up and ready to go along with some hummus and some other types of speads and some avocados. With those I can make salads, burritos, wraps -- whatever I'm in the mood for and it's always fast and easy. The key to easy meals in my book is preparation.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescartes View Post

To do this though, I'd really appreciate some ideas about what ingredients refrigerate well, and don't need to be put in a microwave/in the oven/on the stove before eating. My first thought is stirfry, followed by curries... But I only know one stirfry recipe, and nothing for curry, so I'm a bit lost as to what will still be good after a couple of days in the fridge, then sitting in a bag while the day is anything from 10C to 41C.
I don't get what you're asking.
You can't really eat a curry or stir-fry without cooking or heating it first. Also, in the Aussie summer, it's not a good move to eat any leftovers you've been carrying around all day in your bag.
Ewww. I think that maybe you should try sandwiches or hit the asian supermarkets for some cheap noodles or something.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You really should get an insulated lunch bag and gel ice pack, or find somewhere that you can put your food in a refrigerator. Food that is supposed to be refrigerated isn't safe for more than 2 hours above 4 degrees C.

Most cooked foods can be kept in the fridge for a few days, but beyond that it is safer to freeze portions. Rice is particularly dangerous (google Bacillus cereus), so I only keep it in the fridge for a day or two and reheat it well before eating

A few ideas for foods that make good leftovers are lasagna, soups, and stews. Most of those would really taste best if reheated. For something that is good without reheating, I have made a "tabouli base" out of a big batch of bulgur wheat, garbanzo beans, olive oil, lemon juice and salt, frozen that in individual servings, and then mixed with whatever veggies I have on hand (fresh, or canned like roasted red peppers, olives, artichoke hearts, etc) and fresh or dried herbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts